• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Doping the wind via mirage in the scope?

Re: Doping the wind via mirage in the scope?

Mirage can be very useful for spotting reverses down range.

My NXS picks up mirage well. My PST is kinda half assed. I'll probably be picking up another NXS soon.

Most of my shooting has been at 600yds and in. Even at that modest range, a scope that does a good job at picking up mirage clearly can be useful.

She's a cutie...gotta get to where I can hear things (this computer is aurally challenged).

One point would be how to overcome barrel heat...any suggestions (besides ice or a barrel band)? I see this technique as useful in the cold-shot hunter/sniper realm but also (possibly) useful to the solo tactical/competitive shooter.

Point taken. I'll just have to find out where I find myself going back to the spotting scope on a long string. I figure I can get north of 10 shots before the barrel mirage gets too bad.

Since you are trying to achieve your perfect zero. . Come up with a mirage band and eliminate it right in front of your glass first. Even if its something you only use once. Velcro a curved cheap window blind to your barrel. Using the mirage to read wind is a useful tool. Get the most out of your scope. My buddy has a 12-40 x 60HD its the only spotter I've used.

Great video, I like how it was quick and simple.

Pay attention to conditions at the range on each outing and dial back your parallel focus on your your target and pay close attention to what the mirage is telling you and practice, practice, practice... You'll soon find I useful this information can be for you in connecting your shots with the target.