• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dot Drill Challenge - Give it a try and post your results!

Shawny

Private
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2014
Slightly surprisingly could not find a thread about the Sniper'sHide dot drill. I gave it a try recently and would like to encourage people to give it a try. This is a nice eye-opener and encourages one to start moving off from shooting groups towards trying to make hits. It's also great fun for rimfire practice too.

Rules are simple; print the target and go shoot it, preferably with a rifle straight from the safe without zeroing. The target is available e.g. here: https://www.snipershide.com/precision-rifle/the-snipers-hide-dot-drill/ by just copying the image and pasting it e.g. to Word, expanding and printing to whatever size suits you.

Rules: shoot prone with field-realistic supports so no lead sleds or vices. I shot prone from bipod and a small rear bag. Of course feel free to adjust this to the limitations set by you or your shooting range.
  1. row: Just shoot as slowly as you want, take your time
  2. row: Shoot from the wrong side, switch your hands so you manipulate the trigger with your "wrong" hand. Take your time.
  3. row: Entire row in 30 seconds.
  4. row: Start each shot by standing behind the rifle. When the time starts go prone, close the lock, and shoot. First dot has 15 seconds, the second has 12 seconds, the third 10 seconds, the fourth 8 seconds and the fifth 6 seconds.
The dots are 1 inch / 25 mm and I did this at 100 meters with a .223 Rem CZ 527.

DD.JPG

Dot drills are so yesterday. Nowadays all the cool kids are doing the kraft drill 😎

I like the dot drill. Very tangible connection between my actions and the POI