• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Double firing when suppressed

7magsavage

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2012
So I have a fairly new Geissele 16” super duty rifle chambered in 556.
I have shot it mainly to work up loads and at varmints. I’ve noticed on a few occasions I’ve had double fires.
Honestly I’ve not shot the rifle enough unsuppressed to know if I have the same issue.
My question is:
Is this an overgassing issue?

I’ve tried to be deliberate with my trigger squeezes but maybe I’m squeezing the trigger too slowly and I’m essentially bump firing.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Reactions: Seadweller23
9873cPi.jpg

Not sure if the weight.
It’s the stock trigger that comes on the Geissele whatever they are.

In my experience,it is the trigger finger(if no mechanical malfunction...).
Squeeze/follow through on the trigger all the way till it stops, allowing the disconnector to engage.
I find that I "double" when I barely break the trigger and it recoils off of my finger for the second shot.
hth
DannG

Do a trigger function test. Make sure the weapon is clear, empty chamber and no mag.
Pull the charging handle to the rear and release. Place the selector on Fire. Pull the trigger and hold to the rear. The hammer should fall. Continue to hold the trigger to the rear, pull the charging handle to the rear and release it, Release the trigger with a slow, smooth motion until the trigger is fully forward. The hammer should not fall. Pull the trigger. The hammer should fall.

Reactions: jb0311 and RTH1800
So I have a fairly new Geissele 16” super duty rifle chambered in 556.
I have shot it mainly to work up loads and at varmints. I’ve noticed on a few occasions I’ve had double fires.
Honestly I’ve not shot the rifle enough unsuppressed to know if I have the same issue.
My question is:
Is this an overgassing issue?

I’ve tried to be deliberate with my trigger squeezes but maybe I’m squeezing the trigger too slowly and I’m essentially bump firing.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Do slow shots and hold your back until the rifle comes to a rest, then reset the trigger. If you still get dbl shots, contact Geissele for warranty work. When this happens randomly it tends to be user error.

Reactions: msgriff
Thank you guys. S197, kinda what I was wondering. I’m used to shooting bolt guns and ARs with much heavier triggers.
Still need to do the trigger function check. Ran out of time yesterday.

Thank you guys. S197, kinda what I was wondering. I’m used to shooting bolt guns and ARs with much heavier triggers.
Still need to do the trigger function check. Ran out of time yesterday.
A fairly light trigger with a short rest like the ssa, you really need to follow through on each shoot.

A fairly light trigger with a short rest like the ssa, you really need to follow through on each shoot.
Agreed. My work rifle comes with an SSA. The way it works is a little "unintuitive" for ME. I don't know anyone else who complains about it, so I just chalk it up to a training-on-that-particular-system issue.

I swapped out my buffer and put my SCS from another rifle in and ran 90 rounds through it yesterday without a hitch.
I think it was something about the recoil impulse and my trigger technique.
Seems like problem is solved though.

If you have PRS competitor trigger control- you know, where you milk the trigger of a bolt gun and jump off of it like you’re trying to shoot singles with a machine gun- it is pretty easy to double a semi-auto trigger. Especially a relatively light weight trigger like a Geissele.

Reactions: FALex and XLR308
I had similar issues with the first AR i built in the mid 90's after i put a Jard 1# trigger in it.
Trying to shoot it like a bolt gun i would double tap occasionally from the recoil impulse.
Once i started using proper follow through it hasnt happened since.

Doubles? What are doubles? My first experience with a Calvin Elite in my .260 chambered LRP-07 sent all 10 rounds out of the mag in a fucking jiffy! Having shot full-auto only once in my life, and never expecting that result, I shit myself just a dribble.

To top it off, I was at an indoor, 100yd range...the freakiest thing to me about this experience was that my reticle landed eerily close to my POA. So of course I got up from the rifle like I knew what the fuck I was doing. Who wouldn't? LMAO!!!

7 of the 10 were at least on the paper, but the group was like 27 MOA.

Anyway, what would we label that a decade? Denary?

A call to Timney's tech line informed me that the Calvin Elite models were not designed for large framed gassers.

• Haha
Reactions: XLR308
Doubles? What are doubles? My first experience with a Calvin Elite in my .260 chambered LRP-07 sent all 10 rounds out of the mag in a fucking jiffy! Having shot full-auto only once in my life, and never expecting that result, I shit myself just a dribble.

To top it off, I was at an indoor, 100yd range...the freakiest thing to me about this experience was that my reticle landed eerily close to my POA. So of course I got up from the rifle like I knew what the fuck I was doing. Who wouldn't? LMAO!!!

7 of the 10 were at least on the paper, but the group was like 27 MOA.

Anyway, what would we label that a decade? Denary?

A call to Timney's tech line informed me that the Calvin Elite models were not designed for large framed gassers.
The rifle i was reffering to is a 24" full bull barrel so it is a pig and has a much different recoil impulse than the standard AR.
I built it after i was invited on a prarie dog shoot and all i had at the time was a sporter 30-06, needless to say that wasnt as pleasent an outing as i was wanting 🤐

Reactions: FALex
The rifle i was reffering to is a 24" full bull barrel so it is a pig and has a much different recoil impulse than the standard AR.
I built it after i was invited on a prarie dog shoot and all i had at the time was a sporter 30-06, needless to say that wasnt as pleasent an outing as i was wanting 🤐
Understandable. The only .30-06 I own is a rifle inherited from my grandfather. It was built by a company about 50 years ago called "Golden State Arms Co." They basically took Mauser actions and built hunting rifles off of them, so she's weighs in at a whopping 4.9lbs! And you feel every single ounce of this beast with every squeeze of the 14.5lb trigger! I hate sighting the fucker in, let alone going out and target shooting with it.

On a side note, I was invited to go prairie dog shooting in MT this summer on a couple of ranchers' property. I've been loading .223 like a fucking maniac, but really looking forward to it!

Reactions: XLR308
Understandable. The only .30-06 I own is a rifle inherited from my grandfather. It was built by a company about 50 years ago called "Golden State Arms Co." They basically took Mauser actions and built hunting rifles off of them, so she's weighs in at a whopping 4.9lbs! And you feel every single ounce of this beast with every squeeze of the 14.5lb trigger! I hate sighting the fucker in, let alone going out and target shooting with it.

On a side note, I was invited to go prairie dog shooting in MT this summer on a couple of ranchers' property. I've been loading .223 like a fucking maniac, but really looking forward to it!
Take the 06 as well, a 165gr Ballistic tip makes a pretty dramatic impact on p dogs 💣

Reactions: FALex