• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Douglas Mk12 Mod1 barrel?

ShooterwithNoName

Regular Guy
Minuteman
Jan 14, 2012
Central WV
Hey everyone, I'm building a Mk12 Mod1 for a little precision work. I've been sorting through barrels and found a supplier selling Mk12 Mod1 spec barrels made from Douglas blanks. The price is reasonable, and I was wondering if anyone has used them?
Being a WV boy I'm kind of partial to Douglas barrels. If anyone has used them would you mind to let me know how you like them? I should have the barrel and OPS brake in the next week or two. Once it's all together I'll post some results here for anyone interested.
Thanks for reading!

Re: Douglas Mk12 Mod1 barrel?

High Caliber Sales actually sells the real deal contract barrels. Centurion Arms does too. I've read nothing but good things about the barrels. One guy on another forum who is actually issued a MK12 said that the BCM offerings shoot just as good as the real deal.

I have an HCS upper, and just love it. Centurion is an excellent company, owned by a Navy SEAL. These are stand up people that I try to give my business to.

Thanks guys, HCS was who I was looking at. I have a centurion barrel on one of my carbines and it has been great. I want to keep this build as close to spec as possible. I'm replacing my ol' Colt 24" match with the MK12 for long range work. Not that the Colt isn't accurate but I just do too much moving around through brush. Fighting that long barrel is a PITA sometimes.
I've been reading through some of your guys MK12 builds and have been impressed with the accuracy results. I think the PRI front end will make it a little more pleasant to lug around too.

centurion and HCS have great barrels, pretty sure they are both from same place. HCS has been taking great care of guys on this site, monty from centurion arms is a good friend of mine and i have one of his mk12 uppers. i have let people burrow it twice and have had to have a new one built both times cuz the person didn't want to give it back. if you like monty's stuff i highly suggest getting his mk12 barrel or whole upper.

Just so you know, since it sounds like you're planning a Mk12 build. I don't have the stats handy, but I believe that the Mod 0, with the PRI forend, is a full pound heavier than the Mod 1 with the KAC.

Edited to add: There is a picture near the end of the Mk12 thread at AR15.com that shows someone weighing their Mod 0; it was just over 14 pounds with magazine.

I've got a DMR upper from Monty at Centurion and so far I couldn't be happier with it. I don't have a lot of rounds downrange with it (waited on optics--just installed the scope last week) but if it can make uber-crappy 55 gr. UMC ammo look good, that's one HELL of an fine endorsement for Monty's skills and the quality of the parts he uses. With the exception of the rail and muzzle device, the Centurion DMR and Mk.12 uppers are the same (i.e. the parts that really matter).

Got ya, I guess that makes sense since it has the heavier peq rail on top of it. I may go with the Mod1 with the KAC rail then. I want it to be as light as possible. When you lug a rifle around all day every little bit of weight counts.
Thanks again for the references guys. I'm more of a shooter than a collector, so I don't need it to be completely correct. But I do want it to be close because when they built the Mk12 they knew what they were doing. It will be nice to have something that will shoot the 75gr-77gr stuff better than my 1:9 Colt.
Plus it will double as a carbine for me so I won't need to lug my Micro and a long range rifle if I need it. My max distance I will be engaging at will be 400-500yds tops. So after trying out a lot of different combos I think the Mk12 is going to be my go-to rifle for hiking the hills.
One more thing, you mentioned that the Mod0 was just over 14lbs with mag. That is including optics correct? Now I have to decide if I want to go with a lower powered optic for closer ranges, or if I should go with a 3.5-10 and mount a reflex on a 45deg or up top.
I have an old police sniper VX-III 3.5-10x that I was planning on using, but thought I may opt for a 1.5-6x or similar for closer range and moving shots. I'm really big on moving target shots and need a good FOV on whatever I choose. Most shots will be placed within 250yds probably 75% of the time. But I need to be able to "reach out and touch" the other 25% of the time.
Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GalilMAR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want it to be as light as possible. </div></div>

Well, you could do a 14.5 or 16" build with a lighter profile barrel. I recently did one like that, it isn't a particularly accurate rifle but I enjoy shooting it very much.

Old thread, but we have a good supply of Douglas 18" ready to install barrels, both in the white, and in USN Gray with baked-on GunKote. We also have complete kits with Allen Engineering hardware and options Mk12 gas blocks. Our Douglas barrels are contoured and chambered by Compass Lake Engineering.

We learned, working with Ron Allen, that a great many barrels called SPR profile are actually not the correct profile to accept the AEM5 suppressor.

https://charliescustomclones.com/mk12-douglas-stainless-steel-spr-profile-barrel-1-7-5-56-nato/

https://charliescustomclones.com/mk12-spr-18-barrel-kit-for-mod-0-and-mod-1-rifles/

Old thread, but we have a good supply of Douglas 18" ready to install barrels, both in the white, and in USN Gray with baked-on GunKote. We also have complete kits with Allen Engineering hardware and options Mk12 gas blocks. Our Douglas barrels are contoured and chambered by Compass Lake Engineering.

We learned, working with Ron Allen, that a great many barrels called SPR profile are actually not the correct profile to accept the AEM5 suppressor.

https://charliescustomclones.com/mk12-douglas-stainless-steel-spr-profile-barrel-1-7-5-56-nato/

https://charliescustomclones.com/mk12-spr-18-barrel-kit-for-mod-0-and-mod-1-rifles/
From info in your 1st link:
"The single cut rifling that Douglas produces is the same rifling done for the US Navy Seals and US Marines in the early phase of the Global War on Terror. "

Maybe I've been asleep, but when did Douglas start making cut rifled instead of button rifle barrels?

MM

Reactions: Desert_Racer
From info in your 1st link:
"The single cut rifling that Douglas produces is the same rifling done for the US Navy Seals and US Marines in the early phase of the Global War on Terror. "

Maybe I've been asleep, but when did Douglas start making cut rifled instead of button rifle barrels?

MM
Corrected. Same as Navy Seals, button cut match grade.

The original Crane barrels, as far as I know, were made by Lilja &, yes, they were / are button rifled.

MM

USAMU and Lexington Blue Grass ARSOF Depot used Douglas blanks with some work done by Gene Barnett and the AMU Shop.