• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Down to two--Glock 21 or M&P 45

HOGGHEAD

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2009
Rivesville, WV
I have narrowed it down to two choices. Either the Glock 21 or the M&P 45. The S&W fits my hand better. But the Glock guys say you will learn to like the Glock after you shoot it. The only reason I am so torn is that I hear so much good stuff about the Glock 21. Most of what I hear about the M&P is good also. However it just seems that the Glock owners are more adamant about their pistols. So which one do you guys think would make a better pistol?? Will the Glock out shoot the S&W??

This pistol will be used basically as a home protection pistol. No concealed carry. However I may take it with me on some 4-wheeler rides. But normally I carry my revolvers for that. Tom.

Re: Down to two--Glock 21 or M&P 45

Bother are quality pistols.

Who cares which anyone here thinks is better? If your not buying a piece of shit to begin with it comes down to which is better for YOU.
which fits you better and which you shoot better.

Find someone that has one of each and go shoot them.

If the M&P fits your hand better go with it.

Just a question, but did you look at the standard 21 or the 21 short frame?

Try B4 u buy!

My G21c is a 2 peso whore who never calls in sick, S&W tried with the Sigma and failed, the M&P might be a good pistol, IDK, but what kind of data is out there on them, who has shot 35k thru one with no maintenance, and no failures, how much are mags, and are they easy to find as Glock mags, can you change the spring cups and dive in the Pacific and shoot sharks with one, then not worry about corosion, the M&P does feel nice in the hand.

Try b4 u buy

I have a Glock 17 and a compact M&P 40. I shoot the M&P a lot better. If you have hands just like mine, buy an M&P. If you don't know if your hands are just like mine, go shoot both. Whichever one you like better is the one you should buy.

I sure do love my Glock 21s (issue and personal) for their reliability. Neither has ever had a malfunction, with LOTS of rounds through them of different ammo types. My issued one I always keep really clean but I often go several shooting sessions without cleaning my personal. Never an issue. If reliability was your #1 priority I'd get the Glock. Mind you I'm not saying the M&P isn't reliable, they just don't have the long track record of impeccable performance that the Glock does.

I recently shot a M&P 9mm full size. It was nice, felt really good in the hand. The trigger reset was a little different than the Glock which threw me a couple times but it shot well. If you like the feel of the M&P better and don't care for the Glock then I'd probably just buy the M&P. I'm still not in love with the feel of my Glocks after years with them and thousands of rounds, but I love them for what they are.

I see no reason to look further than Glock. They have been proven time and time again to be the most reliable pistol on the market. Hell they even sell DVD's where all they do in the movie is torture Glock pistols and they keep firing. I've owned other pistols but have sold them all and replaced them with Glocks. I have out shot guys with custom 1911's with my stock Glock. Yes I know the person pulling the trigger has a lot to do with it but I have also found the glocks to be as accurate as many of their more expensive competition.

That being said either pistol will probably serve you well, but the last pistol I sold was a Smith and Wesson, and with the money I got from the sale I bought a Glock.

You will hear that most everybody loves Glocks, there is no doubt they are extremely reliable and well built. But the MP45 will not disappoint you either. Like others have said try shooting both and I would go with whichever feels better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dlc356</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If the M&P fits your hand better go with it.

Just a question, but did you look at the standard 21 or the 21 short frame? </div></div>

I handled both models of Glock 21. Unfortunately I live in rural WV and shooting both to compare is not an option. I was lucky enough to find a guy who had several pistols in stock. And shooting them is not a possibility. That is why I asked.

For the guys who like the Glock's---did the Glock fit your hand well when you first bought it?? Or did you accustom yourself to the grip?? Tom.

I like my Glock, but I had to get used to the grip. It feels a bit blocky in my hand compared to my M&P. I can grab the M&P, point it at whatever I'm looking, and when I move into position to line up the sights, 99% of the time I'm dead-on target. The Glock will give me a half-second pause to make sure my grip is right, and when I point it I'm usually within a few inches of where I'm aiming.

If you can't shoot them, at least go to the store that has both of them and blind-grab each one, then point it at something. Whichever one you can grab and point most naturally without having to adjust and re-adjust on, get that one.

I have a G21.. but I say you get what feels best and points best for you. Glocks have a strong following as the father of the polymer pistol.. Some love.. some hate.. but don't go off everyone else, get what works for you. I doubt you will have any problems with either. And the 3 extra rounds in the G21 isn't a big deal with a .45 cal.. it should only take 1.

Edit: I've put the M&P 45 on my short list

If the 21 is too big, as was pointed out above--check out the Glock 21SF (slim frame?).

If there were a better handgun than the Glock, I would buy if it cost twice as much. I have never fired the M&P but have owned Beretta, SIG, HK, Colt, etc. and none can compete with the Glock. They run absolutely when nothing else will.

QUALITY dry fire practice daily and 300-500 QUALITY fired rounds on your days off for the next month and you'll be good to go no matter which one you choose. Much better to mold your hand to the gun than try and mold the gun to your hand.

With that said I'd go Glock and if the price of ammo is gonna be an issue, pick up an Advantage Arms conversion kit.

Hope this helps.

M&Ps are not built to be worked on by their owners.

Glock can be taken down to the nub and parts replaced easily.

M&Ps in 9MM have documented failure to extract problems. Don't know about 45s.

If you get the Glock 21SF, get the one with the Glock rail and WITHOUT the ambi safety.

I have had both the G21 and now I have a G21SF. I have held the M&P 45 but never fired it....can't go wrong with the glock.

Glocks will grow on you.... but if you got any time behind a 1911 you'll appreciate the M&P. That said, I'm a glock guy and will shoot nothing else.

I use to be the one that said glock should be the only pistol made. When the M&P came out I knocked it, just a glock knockoff. Why would you try to copy the perfect pistol. I still hate the after taste of those words. The M&P has been just as reliable as the glock with better features. The CMPD switched from the glock to the M&P because it fit everybodys hand (changable backstrap). It also fits left and right hand shooters. If I bought a pistol today it would be a glock because of the years of reliability, but I would bet my life on the M&P also.

Just buy both, you will gravitate to one over time, and that is the one. I did, and it is the Sig for me, but my woman shoots the M&P better than anything. Why fight it. JPG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HOGGHEAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
For the guys who like the Glock's---did the Glock fit your hand well when you first bought it?? Or did you accustom yourself to the grip?? Tom. </div></div>

Short answer - I got used to it and now shoot it very well.

I probably would not have ever tried a Glock if it weren't for getting into LE. When I got on I was a 1911 fan and didn't care for Glocks at all (having absolutely no experience with them). I bought into all the BS about plastic pistol, shitty ergonomics, blah blah blah. Then I tried one when I got into LE. I didn't the like the grip angle at first, and I'm still not crazy about it. It was accurate though, and RELIABLE.

As much as I say I'm still not crazy about the grip angle, after training with it I'm instinctively on target when bringing the pistol up. Even in ConSims (confrontational simulation... = cops shooting paint bullets at each other) under stress, and not even remembering looking down the sights, my rounds are on target. So in reality, the ergonomics argument is a non starter for me at this point. I'd rather have a blocky gun that's gonna go bang everytime than one that feels great but might not. Not saying you can't have both, and not saying the M&P isn't reliable... but the Glock is RELIABLE. Don't know about you, but that's by FAR the biggest priority in any weapon I might use for defense.

Also, I believe the newest generation of Glocks has interchangable backstraps so you should be able to get better ergos than ever before. ... I do still wish they had a grip safety... but whatever...

Both are great guns, But I have to lean towards the Glock 21 I have carried mine for 5 years. They are not the most attractive but they damn sure shoot good and mine has never once failed me at training or otherwise.Plus you can allwyas find parts to fix them and they are not a complicated gun. Try the Glock 21 Slim Frame see if that fits ya, if not wait until the 4th gen comes out. I got my hands on one in a .40 the other day. They have an interchangeable backstrap, they chaned the grip angle like 2 degrees, and they changed the recoil guide rod set to match the H&K USP. The M&P in .45 is also a good gun, the triggers will smooth out on them after you shoot them, and my 2 cents is go with what feals good in your hand. Kinda like fat women need lovin too, but it hurts when they sit on you lol. With a .45 200 grain + P Speer Gold Dot you cant go wrong.

I have a few handguns and if I were to leave my house today never to return..... I would grab my Glock... no question.

I've shot he M&P and I've owned a few SA XD's but none of them replace my Glock.

I have smaller hands proportionally so the 21SF was a better fit for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HOGGHEAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

For the guys who like the Glock's---did the Glock fit your hand well when you first bought it?? Or did you accustom yourself to the grip?? Tom. </div></div>

I'e been shooting Glock pistols since the 80's and the G21
fits my hands like a custom gun... it is my favorite Glock.

do you need to hear it again? Go Glock, IMO no combat handgun out there is more durable, reliable, or field worthy. 17s are my choice for various reasons, but if you feel you need a 45ACP. Re hand size/fit, you will adapt, however, i "try on" all my handguns while wearing good quality search gloves...can you handle it efficiently? manipulate all the controls (safety, trigger, mag release, etc) quickly and positively? (think about it).

Conclusion: Everyone has there own preference and experience. Find a buddy or a rental range that you can try out both. If not available, pick the one that feels more comfortable in your hand. From all the input, you can't go wrong with either. What is perfect for one person is not always perfect for someone else. Sometimes it is good to have a variety of choices because not everyone likes to have their burger made the same way.

I own every size Glock makes in 9mm. That caliber is easy. However, for .45, I'd go with the M&P. I've had both, and although the G21 was familiar Glock feel, the grip size and feel just...sucks. And I didn't feel much better with a 21SF. The M&P .45 is hands-down a better feeling piece, and it's also a very GOOD chunk of equipment.

Go here for good gear for the M&P:

www.10-8performance.com

Ever wonder why this question comes up so often, & it's always Brand-X vs. a Glock? I'm just saying.

Edit: Ah found this, likely it's been seen before, but it's interesting if you haven't. Can't say I've looked at the thread in a few years, but it seems to still keep on going.

I think my 21 has proven its durability http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=462537

Hogghead: The last two times I shot at the indoor range at Jerry's in Weston WV, there were people shooting M&P's. One trip I shot a M&P 45 the other a M&P 9MM compact. Having shot a glock alot they felt odd to me, but they seemed like quality guns. Does the M&P have standerd rifling? I would not shoot lead in the Glock. If the M&P as standard rifling you can shoot lead bullets in it. With the price of ammo, shooting lead could be a deal breaker to me.

The glock is a great gun, hell it was a game changer in the industry, and yes some early model M&P's had fte issues but that seems to have been corrected. I had the same issue a year ago and went with the m&p. I've got almot 3K through it and the only ftf or fte I've had was one time with a bad handload. I can shoot it faster and more accurate than the glocks or the sigs. Now there was a post about shooting 35K through it without cleaning that I don't know I'm maticulouse about cleaning so on that poiint I can't say. But with all the great guns out there I don't know if I could support the guy who told you, you will learn to feel comfortable holding the glock when there are equally reliable and accurate firerms that will fit you naturally right out of the box. And with so many people and agencies switching to the m&P there are a lot more aftermarket parts coming out. Plus you can safely shoot reloads in it unlike the glock with the non fully supported barrel. And yes there are plently of guys shooting reloads in glocks, but there is a slightly higher risk. If the m&p fits you get it. And I must say right around 300 rounds the trigger smooths out beutifully. A friend just got the same gun I have m&p 9mm full size and his trigger feels like gravel compared to mine. After a few hundred rounds it feels like a smith worked it.

I would suggest that you get a 9mm pistol. Since you're heart-set on a .45, fine, get a .45. But there's nothing wrong with a 9mm and the ammo is cheaper so you'll practice more. My only .45s are 1911s. My plastic fantastic pistols are 9mms.

Get the M&P. It's obviously what you want. The Glock 21 will not grow on you. The G21 is fat. I love my G19, but I could not own a G21. It's just too fat. The M&P, though, I prefer over any Glock. Although I own both, an carry the G19, the M&P is the way to go.

Out of those two, if picking only one, I would get the M&P. To be honest, you cannot go wrong with either. I think the feel of the M&P puts it a tad ahead of the Glock. I think it and the Glock are both combat effective guns, and both would do well as a night stand gun. However, IMHO, the M&P is an updated version of the Glock.

ETA: the SF on the Glock means short frame, not slim frame. The back strap is cut down on the SF verisons, the width is the same. There was a post with this mistake in it earlier.

I'm in the same boat as the OP, so I thought I'd bump this post rather than starting another.

How many parts does an M&P have? IIRC a Glock only has 33, and they're all dirt simple to replace.

Is S&W dialed in with their Melonite process? Glocks are very corrosion resistant, but the M&P hasn't been around long enough to log that much abuse yet.

I've been carrying a Glock at work for 15yrs, but will likely be transitioning to the M&P within the year---------boss' choice, not mine. I've shot most models of Glocks and they work just fine for me. I've got large hands and prefer the standard 20/21 over the SF versions. I had a chance to run 100rnds through a M&P40 and the clouds didn't part, but it was OK. After 20K through a G22 it's hard to "transition" to a new gun in 100rnds. Glock ergos probably aren't the best, but training fixes that.

I'm shopping for a woods/fishing gun, not a work or concealed carry/off duty gun. I want something as impervious to water and dirt as possible, and easy to field strip if I get too much of the above crammed in it. In addition to the ever-present MJ farmers and meth monkeys, my AO has black bear and cougar. I've considered a 10mm for the bear (Glock would be my only choice), but think heavy .45acp loads should suffice. After 15yrs I know and trust Glocks. If Glocks didn't need an aftermarket barrel to shoot lead bullets I'd buy one. But since the M&P comes with conventional rifling (and reportedly a fully supported chamber), I'm giving it consideration. If the M&P is basically as simple and as corrosion resistant as Glocks, I'll try one and quit fretting. If their filled overly complicated parts and more prone to rust then I'll buy a Glock and just run slower expanding HPs or even a flat nose FMJ if I can find 'em.

I vote M&P. I dont own a .45 Glock, however I own 4 Glocks. They will go bang just about every time. They are not perfect. In the police academy we had 29 students and shot 1K rounds each. There were litterally hundreds of malfunctions of some sort. No reloads were used. Most failures were probably related to limp risting, however that is still a failure. I just bought a M&P and it is my new favorite gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SymteX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I vote M&P. I dont own a .45 Glock, however I own 4 Glocks. They will go bang just about every time. They are not perfect. In the police academy we had 29 students and shot 1K rounds each. There were litterally hundreds of malfunctions of some sort. No reloads were used. Most failures were probably related to limp risting, however that is still a failure. I just bought a M&P and it is my new favorite gun. </div></div>

My indoctrination into the Glock world started with a G17. Before I left the Academy I had 2500+ rnds through it with one malfunction due to ammo (primer in backwards). Most of the training was in a muddy down-pour, and I quickly learned to respect the half plastic pistol. I then transitioned to the G22 and had NO malfunctions for the first 3500rnds until the "powers that be" learned that my magazine lips had a 1/16" tear and were traded for new mags. The tears happened the first day, and were not a risk. The new mags created serious FTF problems (as well as trust issues), until I hammered out the problem. That was 17-19K ago, and I can count on one hand the malfunctions I've had since then. And they've all been ammo related.

As an instructor, I see malfunctions on the line. Most often they're due to operator error or ammo. The B and C series G22s had an issue with misaligned locking block pins, but even then, they were often shooting just fine with broken pins. Not saying it's right, but it's good to know they'll still tick with parts failures. I'm also of the opinion the G22 isn't one of the better Glock designs. Yet they still seem to be mostly holding together.

I'll track down an M&P 45 to finger, but the more I talk out loud, the more I think I'm leaning towards the Glock for it's simplicity and proven reliability. Since plastic pistols are supposed to hold lots of ammo, I also like the Glock's extra 3 rnds. The M&P only holds two more rounds than a 1911 with a 47D. The only down-side I'm seein' is the damn polygonal rifling. The unsupported chamber too I guess, except the .45acp has done just fine in the 1911 w/o one. And I could scrub both concerns with a new barrel if I thought it was important enough.

Thanks for the HK suggestion BigBoss. The only HK I've ever wanted is a P7. I'll take a look at the 45, but I'm really trying to narrow my search, not widen it.

Glock is the AK of the handgun world. There track record and durability is a proven point. I currently own 4 glock's (21,30,19,17) and I feel VERY secure leaving home with any of them.None of them has ever missed a beat and durable as an AK. Glock ran a several thousand round reliability test on the machine pistol platform and it just keeps running 100,000 rounds later.

Glock-
If it fits your hand your good to go. There are no external add on's or other crap to adjust or swap out.

S&W-
I do not know of the smiths performance but I would try to fire both then decide. Reliability should be up there but I will give the proven benchmark to Glock.

(I have an HKP7 and it's sweeeeet also)

If you want to see some real abuse-

http://tinyurl.com/998ts

My previous post on the same topic BEFORE we completed the transition!

MY department just made the switch to the M&P as well. I am the Sr Firearms Instructor and was instrumental in the transition. We were carrying Glock 23's for the last decade and I convinced our new Chief that a full size duty gun was more appropriate. With his endorsement I acquired T&E guns from Smith in 45acp. and .40S&W We had a Glock 21 SF and a Glock 21 as well as a Dept Glock 22 for the test. I might add that previous to the Glock 23 we issued the Glock 21 and had issues with smaller Officers, primarily females, who could not physically handle the weapon with any level of proficiency. I'll also note that both myself and the other department Firearms Instructor are hard core Glock advocates. I've been carrying one since 1990
when we left thet the S&W 681 .357mag for the auto pistol.

Test guns arrived in both 40S&W and .45acp as I requested. Testing was done on several different occasions during different weather conditions so gloves and winter gear could be utilized. We also allowed members of other neighboring departments the opportunity to participate in the T&E sessions and many did. There was quite a variation in the size and experience level of the Officers and Deputies who eventually tested out the various guns. We literally dropped the pistols in water, mud and subjected them to unmentionable conditions. We fired over 1k rounds in each piece without cleaning as a benchmark. In the end we were totally impressed all of the pistols tested. The Glock 22, 21 and the S&W M&P .40 and .45 Any of the 4 pistols tested would make an outstanding service pistol and that is very much what I expected. All 4 weapons were ultra reliable and we literally could not induce a malfunction with service ammo in any of the weapons.

After all the smoke cleared the decision was unanimous. The S&W M&P in .45ACP won us over and was the recommendation to the admin to be adopted as our new service pistol. The agency accepted our proposal and we just recently received our shipment of pistols. Members have yet to be transitioned to the new weapon. The transition will take place in during our April range cycle.

There were several factors What separated the M&P from the Glock. ERGONOMICS. The Smith .45 with it's adjustable back strap fit our smaller testers as well as the two .40's in the group, and all of the testers felt they preferred the grip on the Smith. The Glock 21 is just plain big. The SF version offers little advantage in grip size and compared side to side with the standard 21 it's negligible. It was not used in the range testing as it did not prove to be of significant difference. SIGHTS. We requested the guns be equipped with factory night sights. The Smith sights offered a better profile and many of the testers commented on this detail. ACCURACY. We did NOT Ransom rest the test guns, but it was clear that during scored drills during the test phase the clear majority of shooters had higher scores shooting both the S&W guns when comparing apples to apples. This was an easily quantifiable advantage. RELOADING. During timed reload drills virtually all shooters posted faster times with the Smith pistols. The steel magazines were clearly a factor in this function. PRICE. Both Reps from Glock and S&W were spoken to and the quote by S&W put it way ahead per unit in price. This was done with a trade in of our model 23 Glocks. Last but not least....MADE IN THE USA. I know I felt good about that and the new Chief commented even before the testing started that it would be nice if we could find an American made pistol that could stack up to the Glock. I'm confident we found one!

In conclusion I would gladly carry any of the four pistols we tested and all of them proved to be as reliable as a mechanical device can be expected to be. A BAD choice would have been impossible. The best choice for us collectively was the S&W M&P .45

Post analysis summary AFTER THE TRANSITION

I've been carrying a Glock everyday since transitioning from a S&W 681 in 1990 at work and I've been a Firearms Instructor since 1990 as well. I've trained probably a thousand Police Officers and recruits in the last 20 years. I certainly don't know everything but suffice to say I've got some experience. With that said, I've been a HUGE Glock proponent for all of those years and I still am BUT......My Dept recently purchased the new Smith & Wesson and I transitioned our Officers from "Brand-G" to the new S&W M&P-45 and it was quite impressive.

Let me preface by saying we secured T&E guns from the different manufacturers when it was decided to seek out a new sidearm. We tortured all the guns in testing and the M&P never missed a beat. It proved to be as accurate or better than any test gun in our evaluation using a wide variety of .45ACP ammo and was chosen by landslide as the most comfortable gu in the test.

The manual of arms is virtually identical to that of the Glock so Glock users are easily transitioned. What made me a believer was the ability to fit every single shooter with a grip that they felt comfortable with. Results spoke for themselves as the majority of the Department shot personal best scores and the Dept average was a record high. The numbers spoke for themselves in both static and moving "combat" type drills.

Does this mean the M&P is a better gun than the G-21? NO...but I would say from my experience it is an easier gun to shoot for a wider range of individuals when comparing Apples to Apples. Especially in the full size .45ACP version. (We tested .40's also)

Try to test drive each and decide for yourself. Both will serve you well. The beauty of it all is that the M&P is a REAL legitimate contender that gives major caliber shoppers another choice.

Be Well....s6

21SF is great for fit compared to the std 21/20 models. imo

good accuracy and is spitting out everything i put into it.

At the Vickers pistol class in 08 when asked what high capacity 45 he would recommend it was the M&P . He also said the issues he had seen over the years with the Glocks were all with the 40's and 45's , more with the 40's . The only Glock he said he would run would be in 9mm . The definition of irony is his opinion of 1911's .

C Ward:

My experience would be consistent with that. I've carried G-17's G-19's G-21's G-22's and G-23's. The lions share of problems were found with the G-23's which had more problems, breakage, malfunctions than the other 4 models combined. When we first got our G-21's we had a run of broken extractors that were easily replaced. Those 21's were problem free after that. The 23's had extractor issues, slide lock spring issues, slide stop lever issues and more. They were easily fixed and Glock was great about warranty parts, but the 23's seemed to be problematic.

The G-17 and G-19 were absolutely stone reliable throughout their service life. We never had any problems with them. In my opinion the G-17 is the best of the Glocks.

Remember that new Glock have exchangeable backstraps. I would go with Glock 21. For concealed carry consider Glock 36 for thinner profile.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Remember that new Glock have exchangeable backstraps. I would go with Glock 21. For concealed carry consider Glock 36 for thinner profile. </div></div>

The new ones with the changeable backstraps are the Gen4's. The 21 is not out in Gen4.

Thanks for the continued input. I'll wait until I can get to a gun counter for some dry-firing and tear-downs. I realize live fire is the real test, but that's not an option around here.

The fact that Vickers recommends the M&P 45 gives me a lot more to think about. I'd heard that he's down on 1911s, but I didn't know which of the plastics he unofficially endorsed.

Have you shot both yet? That would be ideal. But I'd go with whatever fits your hand better. I think the M&P will probably win in that fight. Also, a big reason M&P fans aren't as rabid as Glock fans is that the M&P hasn't been around that long.

I find that handguns are a very personal topic. I would choose the M&P because it fits me better. If possible, get to a range that rents both and see which one you shoot better.

I've owned both the G21 and the M&P45. After obtaining the M&P45, the G21 soon left the stable. I have medium sized hands, and the M&P45 felt the best in my hand. The M&P's interchangable backstraps help to accomodate different hand sizes. Before letting the M&P45 go, I had 1k flawless rounds through it. It was accurate as well. If you can handle and shoot them both, you'd be in a much better situation to make the best decision. My vote is the M&P45.