• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Downloading apps

Mad_Charlie

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 28, 2012
West Central Fl.
I am new to smart phones and want to avoid using data unnecessarily, is it possible, for example, to download "Shooter" or weather apps to my win 7 laptop and then install them into my LG g2 android phone?

Also, how much data does Shooter or a weather app use when in use?

I am not going to be watching movies, and I don't "do" facebook or other "digital aids" sites, I MAY possibly use hotmail or gmail, but not much. No music files or sending pictures or stuff like that either.

How can I avoid burning data unnecessarily?

Any hints or tips and tricks will be much appreciated!

almost all the programs you consider (shooter, etc) only need traffic for the initial download. later on, the majority is offline (all trajectories/drops and similar are pure calculations and can be done within the phone). the only time when traffic _might_ come up is when you use features such as 'get weather data from the net'. but those options can usually be turned off.

so. go to any bar. get your gf a coffee. use the free wifi and then download/install shooter. done.

Not very familiar with android phones but I would assume there would be a way to upload it to phone after downloading it onto computer. However, as threetrees said, it would be easiest to download the program while connected to wifi if you're worried about using data.

But that's my next point. how much data does your phone plan allow? I think you would be surprised at how little data using the internet on a smartphone uses. I use my Iphone everyday for listening to pandora/spotify, using the internet, watching videos, email, etc and only use maybe 2gb a month, if that. Granted I am on wifi about 50% of the time or so. So if you just download a few apps, and use email and the features in the apps that require data you should use hardly any.

OK, I'll just connect to my wi-fi here at my desk and have my gf bring me a beer and download it here :)

Was mostly concerned with the "get data" while at the range or in the field.

Thanks for the info.

On android you can load an app from the computer. However it is very hard for someone not tech inclined. You can google it. It's called sideloading. The data usage for app downloading is very small. Even big apps are less than 40 megabytes. Unless you have no data at all on your plan, this shouldn't be a problem. I'm a heavy user and the most I have ever used in a month is 3.5 gigs.