• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DPMS 308 Oracle accuracy test (out of box 3 loads) *Update with a few new toys*

ace_m82

Private
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2012
Hi all, I realized I had something useful to contribute, so here it is.

Bought a new DPMS 308 Oracle and just got back from the gun store a few hours ago. I had enough light to test a few loads that I had on hand that I loaded a few years ago for another 308 so here it is.

Range: 81 yds
Scope: 6.5 - 20x Simmons Whitetail
Rings: Leapers UTG 6 hole quick detach high rings
Temp: 38 degrees
Wind: Not enough to measure
Human factor: Last group I was running out of light, but the last rounds fell in the middle of the others. I always try my best to do proper benchrest trigger squeeze, but that was not fun with the terrible trigger.

Loads and accuracy:

All loaded with Federal "once fired" (I'd guess between 1 and 3 firings) brass, CCI #34 primers

150g Lapua lockbase FMJ, 40g of IMR 3031, 8 shots at 1.76" (little over 2 MOA)
155 Sierra MK, 41g of IMR 3031, 8 shots at 2.63" (little over 3 MOA)
150 Hornady SST, 41g of IMR 4320, 7 shots at 1.56" (little under 2 MOA)

I can post the pic of the target if you all want me to, it's nothing special, it looks like 308 holes in paper to me.

Anyhow, so, by my reckoning, this gun is a 2-3 MOA gun, and could probably go a little under 2 MOA if you were picky about ammo.

Thoughts on the gun:
It's lighter than I was thinking.
Therefore, it has some recoil.
The trigger is terrible. I'm replacing it tonight with a CMC flat blade. The groups took me about twice as long to shoot as they should have due to the long, creepy trigger. Then again, I'm a trigger snob...
The inside of the barrel looks like there might be several rough spots, though I can't be sure until I shoot more and clean it more. If it is, the accuracy is about par for what I thought.
The handguard is non-freefloating, plastic. I'll likely replace that next to see if I can squeeze some more accuracy out of the gun. I'm thinking the DPMS free float handguard for 308s.
The crush washer is laughably off center. Then again, I paid $754 total to take the gun home (shipping, transfer cost).
Even if you immediately replace the handguard, trigger, and barrel with better stuff, this is still one of the cheapest ways you can get a 308 sized AR-type rifle, even just for the parts.

Last edited:
Has this scope/ring combination been proven to hold on another gun? I haven't seen, that I can remember, someone shooting bugholes with a Simmons Whitetail so I couldn't help but wonder if your results are truly indicative of the rifle, or some other part of your set-up.

Usually people who shoot bugholes don't use that scope :). But yes, you have a point, though pretty much all the reviews on that thing love it so I wouldn't think it's a scope issue. Unfortunately, I don't really have another set of rings high enough for the gun, though I do have a 3X9 Leupold sitting around...

Not an oracle, but a DPMS lr308. Both targets shot on the same day by the same shooter...scope was a cheap, ~30 year old bushnell sport view 3-9x...

Federal Fusion MSR 150 gr

Federal Gold Medal Match 168 SMK

The year before the Oracle came out I bought a dpms 308 ar with a 16 inch light con tour barrel. It had an a2 stock and a free float handgaurd. I started out getting 2 moa groups. After 150 rounds it closed to sub moa. I'm not sure if the barrel rifling is the same but it was 699$ on sale. Don't pass judgement on the dpms barrel til you get some copper fouling. Recievers sets were hard to find when I bought it, I had planned on replacing the barrel but was pleasantly surprised. That upper is a good light weight hunter for me and my boys

The barrel that came on mine was a 1/10 twist midlength. I added an slr adjustable gas block for running suppressed, as well as an ssae trigger.

Update, I did a few things to the gun and reshot the same loads
Put in a CMC flat blade trigger ($130), a DPMS free float hanguard ($55), an AR-Stoner 1 piece mount ($60), and a Leupold 3-9 VX-1 (not gonna keep it on the gun, just wanted a good test)

Range: 81 yds
Temp: 55 degrees
Wind: Not enough to measure
Human factor: Once again, running out of light, but if there were any human factor, it was small.

Loads and accuracy:

All loaded with Federal "once fired" (I'd guess between 1 and 3 firings) brass, CCI #34 primers

150g Lapua lockbase FMJ, 40g of IMR 3031, 8 shots at 1.80" (little over 2 MOA)
155 Sierra MK, 41g of IMR 3031, 8 shots at 1.59" (little under 2 MOA)
150 Hornady SST, 41g of IMR 4320, 8 shots at 1.775" (little over 2 MOA)

All groups were pretty close to each other, so that's good. With the mods I put on, this gun is apparently at 2 MOA.

The Leupold is a good scope, but I think the Whitetail allows for more precision and I highly doubt it's anything other than rock solid. This may be why 2 groups were slightly larger, or it's that danged-old bell curve getting to me again. Also, the free float handguard uses a 308 DPMS spaced wrench, but the one on there is (I believe) an AR-15 sized. For no reason I can think of. Cool story, you can get one off with a pipe wrench if you don't care about scuffing the barrel when it lets go. Good job, DPMS!

So if you want a 2 MOA 308 semi-auto, this cost me $754 (shipped and transferred) for the gun $130 for the trigger, $60 for the mount, and I'd likely throw a Redfield Revolution 3-9 with a drop reticle for about $190, $50 for 2 barrel nut wrenchs, if you don't have them. Plus mags, ammo, slings, blah, blah. But the gun itself would be around $1184.

I bought the oracle last fall with the intentions of build a 6.5 creedmor out of it.

First few times out i was not impressed, really crappy trigger, and all i had was crappy scopes. Had trouble getting under 3" with cheap ammo.

Upgrades
- cheap Free-float handguard
- Athlon Argos BTR 6-24 on and ADM mount
- CMC Flat single stage

It was 6 deg F when i shot this group. But i can also hit our small gong, 4" i think, very consistently at 300yds.

This was with Hornady Precision Hunter with 178gr eld-x

I have been very impressed with the results considering i started with a $800 gun.

Thats 3 shots off of a sandbag. (I know its not the special snipers hide group)

Also still shoots like 3" with cheap ammo.

Ryan

Attachments

• photo53229.jpg
    photo53229.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 21
Reactions: sjstill