• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DPMS 308

hidta107

Private
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2006
tucson
I have a DPMS Sportical and was wondering if there are any that have been built up.What triggers,Stocks,scopes flash hiders etc.Pic would be good.Thanks

Re: DPMS 308

If you are planning to "build up" in that platform I would recomend the LR308. I think you will find a better out of the box accuracy with that model.

The trigger was horrible in my Lr-308. I replaced it with a RRA NM 2-stage, and I love it now. You can usually find one for under $100 if you search, it dropped right in, and took about an inch off my groups. If I was going to upgrade over the RRA trigger, I would get a SR Gold trigger from American Trigger Corp. Supposed to be the best there is.
If you decide the Lr platform would work better for you, all you have to do is replace the upper. Mine was a 300 RSAUM when I bought it. I decided I'd rather have a .308, so I ended up trading mine for one a guy had on Gunbroker.
If you like the Sportical, stick with it. But if you're going to make a change, it's better to do it before you start building. Just my opinion.

If you want another stock, put a Magpul on it. I ran both JP and McCormick triggers in mine. I liked the JP better out of the two. Put a Bene Cooley brake on it and shoot it.

If you have a sportical 308, I would look at 1) new trigger and 2) new gas block and free float tube. I would probably go with a full length 4 rail free float with a low pro gas block. Shouldn't be too hard to do although I hear DPMS likes to use red locktite on the barrel nut so you may need popeye muscles to get it off.

(this handguard if you have the "tall" upper)
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=295049

edit: Beyond those two upgrades I'd just buy a decent optic and ammo.

I recommend getting your parts from anyone but DPMS. They are back ordered on almost everything for 3 months

Has anyone Ever buoght a barrel from Lilja Precision Rifle Barrels?

I bought an "AR1024"( .308 x 24 inches) barrel from them after they came highly recommended from some SEALs I work with, and now I have to get a custom gas block manufactured for.934" instead of the Mil-Spec .936". I was wondering if this was a fluke, or if I got bad info.

Congrats on the rifle, Jared! I was recently torn between a Sportical and a LR308L. Ended up in the process of building what I wanted with a lower, but...
I'm guessing that, like me, your plans for the rifle are more multipurpose precision carbine and less sixteen pound semi-auto tack driver. Yes?
If you can share the plan for the rifle, we can probably give better advice on parts.

Sure,
I plan to hunt with it, but I want to be able to do some long distance shooting as well. It's A DPMS Pattern .308, the upper and lower are made by a company out of San Diego, called JD Machine. I have a VLTOR Adjustable buttstock, a Daniels Defense 12" Light Rail, and like I said a 24" fluted Stainless barrel.

I'm not made of Money, but I want to spend money on the best parts I can. I was told that this barrel was it.

This is what they say on thier website http://www.riflebarrels.com/products/ar_10.htm
All versions of this stainless steel AR10 barrel are chambered with a PTG semi-auto match reamer. They are rifled with an 11" twist 3-groove configuration in .308 Winchester. These barrels are also hand-lapped to our internal finish standards. The section forward of the gas block section is engraved: "Lilja AR .308 Win. 11T. The overall length is 24". Gas block size is .936". The diameter in front of the barrel extension is 1.200, then .975" diameter to the gas block and then .875" diameter from the gas block to the muzzle. The unfluted barrel is 4.25 pounds and the fluted version is 3.90 pounds. Muzzle threads are 5/8" - 24.

I also bought an Ops Inc. Muzzle Brake, it was the only one I could find that was left stainless steel. every other model was anodized. I will post some pictures when I get it complete. Should be next week.

so the journal for the gas block is not .936? i couldnt tell if you tried one or measured yours or what. ive heard the name and nothing bad about them. if it was .934, id ask them to custom make you a gas block.

I tried that, but Lilja only makes barrels. they don't make anything else. I would have sent it back, but I was trying to be done with it by father's day. the shop that I bought my upper and lower from is a gun shop, but also a machine shop. actually more a machine shop than gun shop at this point, but they are making rifle parts like gangbusters. They are making me a custom gasblock for it.

Yes I tried a lowpro gas block and it was way too loose. we then put a micrometer on it to find that it was .934" .

Fulton makes good stuff.

If he just wants a railed handguard or something the DPMS ones work fine, and if he has a highrider or whatever upper he will have to buy DPMS anyways if he wants the rails to line up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 26120mjm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whats the difference between the tall upper and the shorter one. </div></div>

I believe this is the "tall" one:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=175950558

Shorter looking one on SASS for comparison:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=176311289#PIC

See how there are several lines and the weaver part of the upper is a bit higher on the sportical? I *think* that means that you'll have to order one of the DPMS free float "high" tubes if you want a 4 railed handguard. If you just want a float tube without rails then it doesn't matter.

No matter what you decide I'd call DPMS up and ask them, I had a question and was able to get them on the phone pretty easily.