• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

dpms cut down ? anyone ever do it

DAFAR

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2003
Bremerton Washington
Hey Guys I have a dpms lrt with the 24 inch HEAVY barrel on it.The rifle shoots about 1 moa but it's wieght makes it a bit unrealistic for field use. I am considering one of two options but I cant seem to decide. I am looking for someone who has done this and seen the results or some good data. Please no dpms bashing, this is a rifle I own and I am just rrying to make it a little better.

option 1 would be to cut the 24 inch tube down to 18 or twenty inches. I know I will loose some velocity but I am not sure how much velocity or accuracy I would loose

option 2 would be to buy a dpms twenty inch tube in the lighter profile, if any of you has shot one I would like to know how it does accuracy wise. The reason I chose the DPMS is becuase of afforability

Re: dpms cut down ? anyone ever do it

if you still want a 24" barrel for later then just get another barrel otherwise cut it. My work sr25 is 20" so thats why i went with a 20" on my ar10 build. it will shoot as far as i want and yeah a bit more handy then a 24"

I have a 20" DPMS fluted bull and it is still a heavy gun but it shoots decent with the 20" tube. It is about a moa gun with several loads.

With a rifle-length gas system, I wouldn't go any less than 18" because you may have problems getting 100% reliable function. That said, either 18" or 20" would be do-able in terms of cutting down your current DPMS barrel.

Your mileage will vary in terms of the velocity you lose, but the accuracy should not decline in my experience with cutting down LR-308 barrels. From a 24" to a 20" or 18" tube, you will likely lose 2lbs or so in weight (but obviously, it will all be muzzle weight/length which should improve the balance and maneuverability of the rifle).

I have an AR-15 with a 24" carbon fiber wrapped bull barrel. It is pretty light up front and is pretty agile. Most of the weight is in the back in the action. I fondly call it my AR Dragunov.

I have held steel bull barrel AR's and they really are front heavy.

Maybe you should rebarrel? Simply cutting it back may affect the gas system cycling and reliability.

Just out of curiosity, What does it cost to have a barrel cut? How about threading for a brake? Just wondering if it would be more economical to buy a new barrel or have the machine work performed.

I have a local smith that will do me a favor, he would charge $50 bucks for the cut recrown asssembly and reassembly. He is very reputable and does some pretty high end tactical rifle builds

I would cut it to 18" and replace the forward with a carbon one that isn't cheap but way lighther than that DPMS aluminum thing it came with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SnkBit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just out of curiosity, What does it cost to have a barrel cut? How about threading for a brake? Just wondering if it would be more economical to buy a new barrel or have the machine work performed. </div></div>

It isn't expensive at all, especially if you pull the barrel from your upper receiver and just send the barrel off for cutting, threading and recrowning. I have used ADCO for this purpose and been very pleased with the results. You can get them to cut, thread and recrown your barrel for around $65 or less (they charge an assembly/disassembly charge if you send a complete barreled upper...plus it will cost you more S&H if you have to send/insure the entire upper).

http://www.adcofirearms.com/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DAFAR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a local smith that will do me a favor, he would charge $50 bucks for the cut recrown asssembly and reassembly. He is very reputable and does some pretty high end tactical rifle builds </div></div>

That is a great price, especially if the guy has a good reputation and you know his work will be up to snuff!!

That's pretty cheap. How does that compare to what the average Joe would have to pay at any other gunsmiths shop? The reason I'm asking is I've been looking at the barrels from Wilson Combat and they run about $300. I figure if its gonna cost me $200 to cut and thread an existing barrel why not get a new piece from WC.

im searching for a barrel now for a build. $200 up to $600 is what your looking at for new. the $200 range seems to find used dpms take offs. they should be $200, but people seem to think they are worth more 225-250+. there are alot or armalite barrels out there in the low to high $300s. im not sure what the deal with an armalite barrel used in a DPMS upper with DPMS bolt. might work, might not, just not sure what i read. you get into the better makers in the upper $300s and $400s. rock creek shot me a quote. it still needs smithing work, and i need to research local smiths. i know of a few with the machining skills, but they may need specs for the barrel threads, contours, ill need the extension, chamber it and to drill the gas port, so that steers me towards a drop in again. kinda catch 22. if i had a smith, id buy a dpms and shorten it. fulton carries a decent priced krieger criterion for $320-$340 in 16" or 18". if you knew a smith, you could buy a blank and contour it pretty light like a heavy or SPR profile. i found a place that will make you one to your specs for under $300. pm me if you want

i did find a place that makes polygonal rifled barrels for the 308 ar. $215 for an 18" with mid length gas port. 1/11 0.750" gas block. another $10 for it to be black.

My DPMS (SS bull barrel) is shorter, about 16.25" long.

Yes there is significant velocity loss (compared with a 20 or 24), but it's accurate.

To get an idea of how much difference you can expect when shortening a barrel, look at a recent reloading manual (like the Nosler) and note the barrel length that was used for testing to compile the .308 rifle data to the data in the pistol section (pistol sections usually list some data for 14" barrels)

Wow. I just waisted a lot of time on this thread because of BigJoe's and Axeman's signatures.

DPMS SASS with a 20" Armalite barrel. Velocity with a 168 AMAX with 45.0 gr. RL15 is @ 2680.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mk4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DPMS SASS with a 20" Armalite barrel. Velocity with a 168 AMAX with 45.0 gr. RL15 is @ 2680. </div></div>

That's pretty good, I can't break 2600 out of my 18" with a 168. I settled for lobbing big ones instead.

I just cut my 24" DPMS .308 barrel to 20".
I used a hack saw then a file and squared it off with Brownells 90° muzzle facing cutter,
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=18289/Product/90_deg__MUZZLE_FACING_CUTTER___STEEL_PILOT
Then I finished it off with an 79 degree cutter.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=2614/pid=628/sku/3_4__79__Crown_Cutter
It takes a bit of time but anyone with a little patientce can do it, and then you have the tools to do other barrels.
IMG_0626.jpg

IMG_0628.jpg