• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DPMS GII 308 rifles

From what I understand Receiver is AR15-spec height, which means AR15 spec handguards can fit on this rifle, but it will require a special new GII format barrel nut so not all manufacturer handguards will work. Thread dimensions for inner thread of the barrel nut is unique to G2. However the outer thread is the same as the outer thread on the DPMS AR-15 rifles or the "standard" thread.

I once went to a course where I was issued a DPMS SASS rifle. I fired 262 rounds on that rifle at the course and went through 2 extractors. Many of the other students were going through multiple extractors as well at similar round counts. They were somewhat accurate rifles that I would never in my wildest dreams consider ready for any type of defensive use. That experience led me to the conclusion that DPMS rifles had some marginal components in the original configuration. So I would really be wary of the G2 rifle which we can clearly see in the pictures has a BCG with 1/2 the wall thickness of the standard carrier.

Excellent marketing, but I'm not holding my breath for actual superiority in the product line.

Other statements I've heard such as KAC's 10,000 round suggested bolt life cycle on the existing Sr25 bolt make me believe the Ar10/Sr-25 platforms were not overbuilt to begin with. Eugene Stoner built the 6.35lb 20" barrel equipped M16A1. Obviously he knew how to optimize a firearm for weight and durability and that was a project he undertook prior to the Sr-25 program.

The bolt is large enough, the surfaces that actually bear pressure at least.

Eugene Stoner never designed a 5.56mm. James L. Sullivan scaled the AR10 (itself a light rifle) into the AR15.

The bolt is large enough, the surfaces that actually bear pressure at least.

Eugene Stoner never designed a 5.56mm. James L. Sullivan scaled the AR10 (itself a light rifle) into the AR15.

Robert Fremont and Jim Sullivan did the engineering work on the AR15, scaling down Stoner's AR10 and designing it around the .222 Remington in 1957 while working for Fairchild's small arms division: Armalite. Stoner was still involved with the development of the AR15, especially when it came to dealing with Army Ordnance, Fort Benning and the Infantry Center, and the wildcatting of the .222 Remington into the .222 Remington Special, which was later type classified as the 5.56x45.

I once went to a course where I was issued a DPMS SASS rifle. I fired 262 rounds on that rifle at the course and went through 2 extractors. Many of the other students were going through multiple extractors as well at similar round counts. They were somewhat accurate rifles that I would never in my wildest dreams consider ready for any type of defensive use. That experience led me to the conclusion that DPMS rifles had some marginal components in the original configuration. So I would really be wary of the G2 rifle which we can clearly see in the pictures has a BCG with 1/2 the wall thickness of the standard carrier.

Excellent marketing, but I'm not holding my breath for actual superiority in the product line.

Other statements I've heard such as KAC's 10,000 round suggested bolt life cycle on the existing Sr25 bolt make me believe the Ar10/Sr-25 platforms were not overbuilt to begin with. Eugene Stoner built the 6.35lb 20" barrel equipped M16A1. Obviously he knew how to optimize a firearm for weight and durability and that was a project he undertook prior to the Sr-25 program.

I had similar experiences with my LR-308 back in 2007. I think it's going to be hard to get the message across to a lot of people that DPMS doesn't really exist anymore, since they were bought by Freedom Group.

This rifle actually has a team of engineers behind it, and I'm suspecting they are a new breed of Remington/Freedom Group types that are either employees, or contracted, or a combination of both. There really isn't anything common on these rifles between the LR-308, and the fit/feel/finish is totally different, as is the quality and design of the BCG and receiver set.

Get past the "DPMS" engraved on the side, which was a marketing decision to appeal to as wide of a customer base and existing dealer base as possible, and open up to the reality that this is a different gun altogether. Sure, as a mass-produced product, there are going to be some outliers on the bell curve of TQM, but from what I see, they are going to be much fewer and far between when compared with the LR-308 line.