• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DPMS LR-308 AP4/Which Oversized Charging Handle?

JINKSTER

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2020
I'm new here and this is my first post.

I recently lucked into a 1st Gen LR-308 DPMS AP4 that appears to have been sitting in a closet unfired since purchased new.

I mounted up a Vortex Spitfire 3X Prism Scope and am impressed so I also have a Magpul ACS-L stock w/ .7 Enhanced Recoil Pad on the way as well as a Precision Armament M4-72 Severe Duty Muzzle Brake but definitely want to swap out the stock charging handle for something more robust with increased leverage and functionality.

My Shortlist is...

1. Radian Raptor (from LockedLoaded)

2. Aero Precision
AR 308 Ambidextrous Charging Handle

3. GEISSELE SUPER CHARGING HANDLE 7.62/.308 - BLACK (from Rainier Arms)

I'm very much open to suggestions and would appreciate any sage advice as I'm also a 61 year old post stroke, diabetic of a former US Marine with neuropathy in my fingers so I need something wide and robust with lots of leverage because the stock charging handle is very difficult for me to operate proficiently.

Attachments

• VORTEXPRISM.JPG
    VORTEXPRISM.JPG
    559.1 KB · Views: 69
am I in the wrong forum?
Lol... no, just a lot of people getting tired of the current virus... so , answer's may be slow.

I have numerous Radian Raptors on my AR15's and Large Frames... just tried a Geissele, gotta say I prefer the Radian.

That said, that opinion might change is it was slung against my gut all day, because of the sharper edges on the Raptor v. Geissele

Reactions: JINKSTER
there's also the Badger Ordnance ambi CH for large frames.
I like the Rainier Avalanche but they seem to be permanently out-of-stock.
I also have the Geiselle and the Radian Raptor.

Badger Ordnance and Rainier Avalanche are my favorites.

there's also the Badger Ordnance ambi CH for large frames.
I like the Rainier Avalanche but they seem to be permanently out-of-stock.
I also have the Geiselle and the Radian Raptor.

Badger Ordnance and Rainier Avalanche are my favorites.

Thank you (and to all) as I just bought the last Badger Ordnance G3 Ambi Charging Handle Midway USA had in stock.

They all look cool and I'm sure they all function just fine as well but the Badger?...thanks again for bringing it to my attention because as soon as I saw it?...to me it looked cleaner and more in keeping with the theme of things on my LR-308 AP4 and when I saw there was only (1) left in stock?...I jumped! LOL!

Thanks again. :)

yeah, Badger Ordnance is definitely Operator Grade.

So today I figured it's kind of ridiculous that I've had this barely broke in AP4 for about 2 weeks and already have a Magpul ACS=L replacement stock on the way with the enhanced recoil pad and the Precision Arms M4-72 Muzzle Brake (along with the $31 shim kit) ordered and coming in with the MOE+ Grip where last night I bought the last Badger Ordnance Ambi Charging Handle Midway USA had and thought...man...all those goodies and I'm still shooting a stock trigger?...turns out PSA had a sale on Geissele SSA-E Triggers for $189.99 (normally $240) so?...Happy Easter too me as I ordered one of those too and now?...now I'm thinking that maybe that A2 front sight needs to come off and be replaced with an "Adjustable Gas Block" (to go with that badazz brake) and then?...maybe a heavy-weight buffer?...

is there a 12-Step program for this sort of thing? LOL!

Attachments

• DPMS100YD.JPG
    DPMS100YD.JPG
    564.7 KB · Views: 73
  • VORTEXPRISM.JPG
    VORTEXPRISM.JPG
    559.1 KB · Views: 94
Reactions: bfoosh006
I’ve used Raptor handles since they first came out. I really like them. I recently got one of the Geiselle “Airborne” handles. I’ve got to admit I really like it. The handles stick out just a bit less than the Raptor, so it doesn’t snag on gear or poke me in the chest if I’m running without armor (not that the Raptor is bad in this category). I also like the “gas shield” on the Geiselle. I run suppressed almost exclusively, so that “shield” plus a little RTV silicone= no gas in the face.

So today I figured it's kind of ridiculous that I've had this barely broke in AP4 for about 2 weeks and already have a Magpul ACS=L replacement stock on the way with the enhanced recoil pad and the Precision Arms M4-72 Muzzle Brake (along with the $31 shim kit) ordered and coming in with the MOE+ Grip where last night I bought the last Badger Ordnance Ambi Charging Handle Midway USA had and thought...man...all those goodies and I'm still shooting a stock trigger?...turns out PSA had a sale on Geissele SSA-E Triggers for $189.99 (normally $240) so?...Happy Easter too me as I ordered one of those too and now?...now I'm thinking that maybe that A2 front sight needs to come off and be replaced with an "Adjustable Gas Block" (to go with that badazz brake) and then?...maybe a heavy-weight buffer?...

is there a 12-Step program for this sort of thing? LOL!

Buy one of these as well... MUCH, MUCH softer then the OEM Magpul recoil pads. ( Since you are spending money .... errr , just helping )

Seriously, the Limbsaver recoil pad is worth it.

https://www.nokick.com/Limbsaver_Recoil_Pad_for_Magpul_Collapsible_Stocks_p/ls-10025.htm

Everything except the Geisele SSA-E trigger from PSA came in today which was the Magpul ACS-L Stock w/ Enhanced .7" Recoil Pad along with the Magpul MOE+ grip, The Badger Ordnance Gen3 Ambi Charging Handle and Precision Armaments M4-72 Comp/Brake w/ Accushim Kit and I'll let the pix tell the rest of the story...

Attachments

• DPMSMOD1.JPG
    DPMSMOD1.JPG
    745.7 KB · Views: 67
  • DPMSMOD2.JPG
    DPMSMOD2.JPG
    524.6 KB · Views: 134
  • DPMSMOD3.JPG
    DPMSMOD3.JPG
    402.4 KB · Views: 72
  • DPMSMOD4.JPG
    DPMSMOD4.JPG
    566.9 KB · Views: 56
  • DPMSMOD5.JPG
    DPMSMOD5.JPG
    427.8 KB · Views: 72
  • DPMSMOD6.JPG
    DPMSMOD6.JPG
    449.8 KB · Views: 62
  • DPMSMOD7.JPG
    DPMSMOD7.JPG
    461.9 KB · Views: 113
  • DPMSMOD8.JPG
    DPMSMOD8.JPG
    454.7 KB · Views: 69
  • DPMSMOD9.JPG
    DPMSMOD9.JPG
    735.7 KB · Views: 50
I’ve had a Seekins, BCM, and Radian for my AR-15 and AR-10. I like the Radian Raptor SD the best. I like it because it’s ambi and had gas ports to keep gas in the action and not my face.

I’ve had a Seekins, BCM, and Radian for my AR-15 and AR-10. I like the Radian Raptor SD the best. I like it because it’s ambi and had gas ports to keep gas in the action and not my face.

I've shot a few rifles where gas blow back was an issue but this DPMS LR-308 AP4 is not one of them and I obviously have no intentions of supressing it but the problem I did have was snatching the stock charging handle out from under my scope...that's entirely resolved and I can rack the BCG with ease now.

What do you think of that .7 Recoil Pad from Magpul so far? I just bought one today off of Amazon.

To be honest?...I haven't shot it yet but I'm experienced enough to know it's worth 5 X's what I paid for it VS "No Recoil Pad" and 3 X's what I paid for it VS the solid rubber 1/4" thick pad that came on my ACS=L stock which BTW?...the stock is heads & tails superior to the OEM stock and not only because of the far superior (and comfy) cheek weld but because of the 2ndary locking feature that locks this Magpul collapsible up so tightly it's as stable as a fixed stock and other than that?...I won't be able to give the recoil pad an isolated product review because I just finished up mounting my Precision Armament M4-72 comp/brake that alone will reduce felt recoil by nearly 65% and sometime this evening or tomorrow morning I'll be installing my Geisele SSA=E trigger that arrived yesterday and will be hitting the range sometime this weekend for a shooting session with it and no...you didn't waste a red cent on your recoil pad...you're going to love it.

Here's some pix of the comp/brake install...I bored a barrel size hole in a block of oak and split it in 1/2 for some soft jaws in the vise and leveled out the upper receiver so I could then level out the muzzle brake for proper alignment.

Attachments

• COMP1.JPG
    COMP1.JPG
    578.6 KB · Views: 47
  • COMP2.JPG
    COMP2.JPG
    527.6 KB · Views: 39
  • COMP3.JPG
    COMP3.JPG
    509.1 KB · Views: 42
  • COMP4.JPG
    COMP4.JPG
    548 KB · Views: 44
Well?...I installed the last of my mods this morning which was the Geissele SSA-E Trigger which along with my Magpul ACS-L stock w/ >7 Recoil Pad and MOE+ Grip and Badger Ordnance Charging handle?...I couldn't be more pleased with all of it! :)

The jury is still out for the Precision Armament M4-72 Muzzle Brake (until I get to the range this weekend) but like the other products?...the SSA-E trigger is both an awesome and well welcomed addition to this AP4 of mine.

I've been an aerospace machinist by trade for well over 3 decades now and like the Badger Ordnance charging handle made of forged 7075 T6 alum with the ambi clevis tabs made of armory steel?...I liked that the Geissele SSA-E is made of S-7 (shock grade) Tool Steel (back in the day I installed all Chip McCormick Hammer/Disconnector/Sear S-7 lockworks in my P-14 IPSC race pistol that held up great) and very impressed that Geissele documents/tracks their products w/ Lot#s...I was also impressed at the well thought out design of the hammer because despite it weighing 1/4oz/8gms lighter than the factory hammer?...the mass was positioned in a more effective location resulting in a momentum advantage despite it's 20% lighter mass weight which is still driven by a full power hammer spring which would make for rapid full power firing pin strikes while enjoying a slight decrease in lock time.

The Geissele SSA-E Trigger installed and worked as advertised exceeding my expectations...it's approx 2lb 1st stage yielded a glassy smooth take up that ended in about 3/16ths" travel against a very defined 2nd stage wall and from there?...absolutely ZERO CREEP with an extremely crisp and light 3lb break where trigger reset seems to occur in < 1/6th".

Here's some pix of the trigger, install and finished product...my "SUPER AP4" :)

Attachments

• GEISSELE1.JPG
    GEISSELE1.JPG
    891.3 KB · Views: 41
  • GEISSELE2.JPG
    GEISSELE2.JPG
    875.9 KB · Views: 49
  • GEISSELE3.JPG
    GEISSELE3.JPG
    923.5 KB · Views: 36
  • GEISSELE4.JPG
    GEISSELE4.JPG
    400.9 KB · Views: 44
  • GEISSELE5.JPG
    GEISSELE5.JPG
    583 KB · Views: 48
Reactions: N-C
Thanks for your thoughts on the recoil pad. I just picked mine up from the Amazon box last night. It came a day early, thanks Amazon.

I do have to say Geissele does know how to make a trigger. I think their the best on the market. I have them in most of my ARs. Just wish that their customer service was on par with their triggers.

Just wish there wasn't this run on guns and ammo. I hate shooting when I can't replace my ammo and I don't really want to pay the price their asking for ammo right now. Let us know how you like the recoil pad when you go shooting. Not sure when I'll be able to get out shooting again. Still testing my AR pistol then I'll build the 18" rifle which that recoil pad is for.

Thanks for your thoughts on the recoil pad. I just picked mine up from the Amazon box last night. It came a day early, thanks Amazon.

I do have to say Geissele does know how to make a trigger. I think their the best on the market. I have them in most of my ARs. Just wish that their customer service was on par with their triggers.

Just wish there wasn't this run on guns and ammo. I hate shooting when I can't replace my ammo and I don't really want to pay the price their asking for ammo right now. Let us know how you like the recoil pad when you go shooting. Not sure when I'll be able to get out shooting again. Still testing my AR pistol then I'll build the 18" rifle which that recoil pad is for.

I bought my SSA-E through PSA and have to say their CS is (and was) awesome cause here's what happened...This $240 SSA-E was on sale for $189.99 for Easter weekend only and when I placed my first order?...I clicked the the "Submit Payment" tab and got a 505 Bad Gateway Error and after waiting 15 minutes never received order confirmation so I tried again and this time it went through but low and behold when I got my confirmation email?...I got TWO of them...it was Easter Sunday so all I could do was message PSA's Help Center and the following morning before they were open for calls?...I got two emails confirming that my TWO trigger orders had both shipped ($400 worth of 2 triggers) when I got through to CS the lady said all they could do is send me an RMA for the 2nd one because they had both already shipped but someone above her must have read my Help Center message and decided that wasn't good enough so they (PSA) did a UPS INTERCEPT on the 2nd trigger so they could refund my money quicker...now that's CS and if I had any sort of problem with this Geissele trigger?...I feel certain that PSA would've stepped up and handled things just swell and as far as ammo goes?....there's plenty out there if you know where to look...ammoseek.com us a good source but I just picked up 10 boxes of 150gr Federal Power-Shok .308 at Bass Pro a couple hours ago and PSA has it in stock so?...it's out there.

That charging handle latch is going to stab you right in the sternum if you ever try to sling that bad boy.

I'm assuming you're referencing that extended latch release on NornamChangs post?...cause I've already cross-slung my Badger Ordnance with zero poking.

what happened to that pic with the guy using his AR-10 as a pogo stick? (filed under unsafe practices)

This is my daughter Marissa shooting my DPMS Panther LR-308 AP4 Carbine chambered in .308 Winchester and I have a Precision Armament M4-72 Compensator/Muzzle-Brake that reduces recoil by 64% and it shows...it made shooting this high power rifle cartridge feel like shooting a pistol caliber carbine....in a word?..."AWESOME"....a 12 year old could shoot it all day long the recoil is so light. :

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Not bad for a 16" Barrel topped with a 3X Vortex Spitfire Prism scope and Pindad 147gr Indo Mil Surplus ammo...

Attachments

• GEISSELE6.JPG
    GEISSELE6.JPG
    578.2 KB · Views: 42