• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dpms repr new can't group shots

Cturner649

Private
Minuteman
Oct 9, 2014
Got my new REPR. Got it ready. Added a Luepold VX 2 CDS scope. 3 boxes later still can't get a group. Shots all over the place. They will jump 6 inches between shots. Put a proven scope was no help. Different shooter no help. Any thoughts.

Different ammo. My LR 308 shot federal fusion into a "group" roughly the size of a basketball at 100 yards, but groups hornady match and federal GMM at about 1 inch, or a bit under, at the same distance.

In one of the online reviews I read of the rifle they were having the same issue. Because the melinite barrel being so hard it takes a while to break in. The soulution: to snake it with a wire bore cleaner multiple times. I know that sounds crazy, but that's what they recommended. I hope its not something else, I ordered a repr on Monday and am hoping to have it tomorrow!
I'll look for and attach the link to the review I saw this on.

there are so many variables....

As others have mentioned, they the reccomended brands / weights of ammo
black hills, Fed Gold Metal Match seem to work from many rifles

I have seen rifles that shot a different POI standing vs prone. The barrel was not tight and pressure from sand bags moved the POI. the group size was the same... it just shifted a few inches....

I would also call the manufacturer and speak to the help desk...

Nato Repr

--
I just don't know enough about yours set up, what type of groups you are getting with similar rifles, ammo manufacturer, new, reloaded, bullet weight, rings,.... on and on....
what power scope model you have and what power you used... wind, type of rest, sandbags.....

Can you provide any more specifics on group size and pics of the groups?

Gun in a vise to hold still. Shots range from 2" L and high to 3" low and 2" R. 100 yd no wind. Used Hornady, Nosler and Federal ammo. All the same results. Luepold CDS 6-18 on 12 power.
Dpms said send it back. Any help is appreciated.

Not to be mr obvious but If dpms said send it back thats what I would do . I went through this with alexander arms over a 50 beowulf that had a screwed up chamber . I had alot of people tell me to try this and that but I let them solve the problem . I didnt see the need for me to spend time and money to fix something that is suppose to be right when shipped from the factory .

Your right just covering all the bases. Make sure nothing else I can do to not send it back. What a pain.

It is a pain in the butt and irritating as hell to have a new rifle and it not work . On the other hand when you get it back after about 5 rounds down range life is good again .
good luck .

I broke my sass in with 150grn and was getting a 6" group. Freaked out, ready to send it back then tried 168 grn's and it came down to 1MOA. Play with your gun food, you'll get it dialed in.

Had the same problem with a Ruger SR 556. Sent it back to Ruger. They put a new upper, bolt and safety on it. Now shoots 1 moa most of the time. I'd send your DPMS back for repair.

I have a dpms g2 bull barrel, I have a load that shoots lights out with 155 amax, one hole groups. I loaded some softpoints hornady 150 btsp and 150gr speer hot cor with same brass, and powder charge only to have a 4 in group. For whatever reason it doesn't like those softpoints so amaxes it is.

Top Left: first cold bore was a tad low the next 3 are through the same hole.

IMG_20141005_162427819.jpg

I have a dpms g2 bull barrel, I have a load that shoots lights out with 155 amax, one hole groups. I loaded some softpoints hornady 150 btsp and 150gr speer hot cor with same brass, and powder charge only to have a 4 in group. For whatever reason it doesn't like those softpoints so amaxes it is.

Top Left: first cold bore was a tad low the next 3 are through the same hole.

View attachment 52856

you cant simply plug a different weight and tpe of bullet into the same load and expect the same results. very few bullets will do this. second neither of those other bullets are a match bullet so seeing drastically better performance from a match bullet isnt a suprise.

you cant simply plug a different weight and tpe of bullet into the same load and expect the same results. very few bullets will do this. second neither of those other bullets are a match bullet so seeing drastically better performance from a match bullet isnt a suprise.

Well my ao built rem 700 will do this. I am using 46gr of varget around 2820 fps.

gas guns are a whole different animal especially when it comes to the pressure the load and bullet are generating on the gas system to operate the bolt. people buy a ferrari and put 87 octane in it and wonder why it spark knocks...

there are so many variables....

As others have mentioned, they the reccomended brands / weights of ammo
black hills, Fed Gold Metal Match seem to work from many rifles

I have seen rifles that shot a different POI standing vs prone. The barrel was not tight and pressure from sand bags moved the POI. the group size was the same... it just shifted a few inches....

I would also call the manufacturer and speak to the help desk...

Nato Repr

--
I just don't know enough about yours set up, what type of groups you are getting with similar rifles, ammo manufacturer, new, reloaded, bullet weight, rings,.... on and on....
what power scope model you have and what power you used... wind, type of rest, sandbags.....

Can you provide any more specifics on group size and pics of the groups?

same group size standing or prone? either your groups suck balls prone or you're an ultra bad ass off hand shooter....