• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DPMS SASS is it worth the price/how do they shoot

bitter24

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 20, 2010
Sierra Vista AZ
Hello,

First off Im new here...Ive visited the site a lot but finally became a member. So on to the good stuff. From the post Ive read it seems like everyone likes the SASS and seems that they are worth the money. In the market looking for a new AR 308. Is it better to buy a SASS or buy a "standard" LR-308 and just upgrade it as fit. Or is there something better out there?? Just looking for knowledge from you guys that are in the "know"

Thanks

Bitter

Re: DPMS SASS is it worth the price/how do they shoot

I like the SASS but think the LR-308 is better than upgrade to what you want to or better yet just buy the parts you want and put it together yourself. I have had nothing but great groups and performance out of my LR-308.

Or an LMT-308. The sass seems dated and I dont like the upper looks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: problemchild</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Or an LMT-308. The sass seems dated and I dont like the upper looks. </div></div>

Agreed. They can still be found for like $2300ish or so. I got mine from the Kentucky Gun Co.

One of the best guns out there, and definitely better than the DPMS SASS

I thought I would chime in here as well. I have a SASS, got it on gun broker NIB for 1800 shipped. IMHO if you like what comes with the gun from the factory, you can't beat the price. I priced buying a LR-308 and then making it a SASS, here was my thought process. 1. The SASS comes pretty much the way I want it, and parts separately add up quick and I wanted it the way I wanted NOW. If I was going to make a build last a bit and buy parts and pieces here and there with extra money I would have just gotten a LR-308 and built over time.

As for fit, quality and finish, to me its great I have no issues with it. It may not have the sexiest upper, but i don't care it was less than what the "sexy" uppers are.

I have also read into these guns bot before and after I purchased, I hesitate to use the term hit and miss as far as accuracy goes as there seems to be more hit than miss, but there have been people extremely disappointed in the way it shoots. I have had many people tell me that a gas gun is WAY less forgiving than a bolt gun so a repeatable every time shooting position is encouraged (this is encouraged for a bolt gun too but a bolt gun is more forgiving with improper form)

It seems when I talk to people or read about people with sass's they shoot really really good, or the person is unhappy with it. I don't know if the people that are unhappy with it have worked on there shooting position, different holds, wide variety of ammo and/or other considerations. Even though they can be made to shoot very accurately one thing to remember though, a gas gun is not a bolt gun.

I like my SASS though it is fun to shoot.

abilliott what kind of groups have you got with yours? I know all guns are different and have to play with loads, and with the shooter. Must guns out shoot the majority of the population.

There are so many option's out there its hard to figure out where to start.

So on to the LMT I havent heard much about these untill you guys stated them. I take it there more accurate, and in some people's eyes better looking? What do you mean by the fact the SASS is dated?

Sorry for all the questions

I have 3 groups that measure 5/8 to 3/4, but I want to disclose this... those are 4 shot groups. This accounts to the mental side of my shooting that starts out with me making 3 really nice shots and blowing the 4th. Not wanting that to be the end of things I follow it up with a 5th that looks good again. The best 5 shot group that I have been able to achieve so far is a 15/16 ( 1 time occasion)I hope to better this and more often. I just started shooting a gas gun so I hope to make that better as I learn.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bitter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">abilliott what kind of groups have you got with yours? I know all guns are different and have to play with loads, and with the shooter. Must guns out shoot the majority of the population.

There are so many option's out there its hard to figure out where to start.

So on to the LMT I havent heard much about these untill you guys stated them. I take it there more accurate, and in some people's eyes better looking? What do you mean by the fact the SASS is dated?

Sorry for all the questions</div></div>

My sass upper will shoot 3/4" at 100 yards with good handloads. I have gotten some pretty good groups at 2 and 300 and was hitting clay birds at around 350-400 the other day. Not every time but enough to where I was pretty sure it was me and not the rifle. However you are better off getting a POF, LMT or a used GAP if you can find one (all of these will be a little bit more money than the sass) or for a little bit less build your own. You could even get a DPMS or Armalite carbine, put a free float rail and a good trigger on it and have a decent shooting rifle for pretty cheap.

BCP
What is going to be the biggest difference between those and the SASS? I know the looks are a little bit different, and that the POF is a piston gun, but besides that, are they just more accurate?

If the bottom line is more accuracy, can one expect their SASS to be a little more accurate by replacing the barrel down the road?

I have owned a LR-308 with 24" fluted barrel. I paid just over $1K for the rifle new. This was before you know who was elected to you know what. Prices on the SASS soared with all of the other evil platforms. Prices have settled down in the $1750-1800 range. You would be hard pressed to build it cheaper. Trigger, irons, stock upgrade plus shipping would set you back a little.

I think DPMS's 308s are like a Corvette. Drive well but the fit and finish is not on par with a Ferrari. As far as being dated... pretty strange comment. A M1A is dated and everyone loves them. A lot of guns are going with super long rails now, I think that is where that comes from. I also think people spend more time building, buying and reading than they do shooting.

If you are new to the AR-10 style platform, start with DPMS and work up from there.

well said NavalAircrew, and the new corvette's can hang with the big dogs, just not quite the "fit and finish" as we all say. I think the SASS offers allot for the money and is a great place to start and even "add to" or "build up" later on if you wanted. Its a good way to get there fast and cheap! lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: abilliott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
If the bottom line is more accuracy, can one expect their SASS to be a little more accurate by replacing the barrel down the road? </div></div>

Why would you want to replace the barrel? I have shot many 1-1.5" groups at 200 yards with mine - why replace that? If I wanted bughole groups I would've bought a bolt gun. I wanted something 308semi-auto with rails that could shoot MOA or better for less than 2k and I got it.

Also, just buying an expensive barrel is no guarantee of accuracy - hand loading and practice practice practice an AR 308 is not an easy rifle to shoot.

Well that was kinda my question, if those other mfg's are more accurate can a dpms be more accurate with a different barrel.

I don't think it needs replacing, I was just wanting to know what specifically sets the other apart that a man would be willing to pay more money for?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: abilliott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
If the bottom line is more accuracy, can one expect their SASS to be a little more accurate by replacing the barrel down the road? </div></div>

Why would you want to replace the barrel? I have shot many 1-1.5" groups at 200 yards with mine - why replace that? If I wanted bughole groups I would've bought a bolt gun. I wanted something 308semi-auto with rails that could shoot MOA or better for less than 2k and I got it.

Also, just buying an expensive barrel is no guarantee of accuracy - hand loading and practice practice practice an AR 308 is not an easy rifle to shoot.</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: abilliott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well that was kinda my question, if those other mfg's are more accurate</div></div>

I don't think those other rifles are "more accurate" just different rifles with different features. Personal taste also comes into play, lots of people like one brand and hate another.

I'll give the disclaimer that I've only shot about 30 rds through mine with the flip-up sights (barrel break in and a handful for fun) as I'm working on procuring optics still, however I am happy with it. The grouping was tight given the sight capability and new barrel, no FTF's, no problems at all. Just follow the multitude of advice out there and clean/oil it very thoroughly. A clean+lubed AR is a happy AR.

I changed out the grip it comes with as it just felt small and cheap, putting on an SPR; it has a nice hand mold and seems to put the trigger finger right where it should be, and also just feels more substantial. I had to modify it for the ambi selector on the rifle, but it wasn't difficult. I will probably also change out the hand guards at some point, otherwise it's a solid weapon out of the box, and I think has good features for the money.

I honestly get under half MOA with handloads in mine with five shot groups at 100 yards. I had the barrel cryod and it is the 18" chrome moly, fluted.

My DPMS SASS doesnt shoot for shit! Factory Mag's are junk!

Doug015.jpg

measurement.jpg

DSC00070.jpg

my LR308 shoots very consistent 3/4MOA groups with the first load I tried in it (winchester S308M)

I've added a JP trigger and a new pistol grip and a harris bipod and that's it. she's just a hoot to shoot.

one note though: the factory magazines were total crap. I actually had sent the gun back to the factory TWICE and they couldn't figure out why it was malfunctioning so bad. a hide member insisted I try C products mags (this is before Magpul had the option) and the darn thing runs like a top now.

now my only complaint is that it's a boat anchor.

ps...nice shooting Doug!

This weekend me and my buddy got to shoot my LR308 SASS build out to 1k. Well actually he shot it I shot my bolt gun.
Anyways we thought with the 18" barrel he would be done after 800 yards. That thing was on the money all the way to the 1k mark. He did awesome with it and everyone there was pretty impressed.

I have put 198 rnds through my LR-308 I know its not a SASS but I like mine. I have Single stage wilson Combat TTU and I just got my PRS Stock yesturday, much better than the A-2. I need to do some more shooting with it, especially with this new stock on it. Right now its right at 1 MOA my first shot is a flyer the last 2 are darn close to being 1 hole using 168 FGMM. I am confident that with more practice getting used to this new platform the group will shrink. But I really like the ability to engage multiple targets with a rifle like this which is why I converted from a bolt gun to gas gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sagebrush</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
now my only complaint is that it's a boat anchor.
</div></div>

Yeah I went with it because I figured an 18" would be light...

Also +1 on C products they run well, the followers kind of suck though my next project will be to swap magpul ones in to see if they work better.

I've always heard good things about them but have not eprsonally shot them. 2 buddies have them and they rave about them. I am drooling over the LMT .308 though.

Well that is a lot of good info thanks guys. Now I really want one. Though im looking at the LMT now since several of you guys have brought that up.I wouldnt of thought it would be accurate out to 1k though...thats impressive though im sure it has a lot to do with the shooter.