• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DPMS SASS stock question

pepperbelly

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2006
Fort Worth, Texas
My SASS came to me with a Magpul ACS stock. I think I would prefer the PRS stock and I think I found someone to trade with for one.
Is there anything about the PRS I should know?
I ahve no real problem with the ACS stock other than it wobbles a little like any collapsible stock does. It doesn't seem like it help a cheek weld.

Jim

Re: DPMS SASS stock question

The PRS will add about 5lbs to the weight of your rifle but I think it gives the rifle a good balance if it's a .308. I have the Magpul PRS mounted on my POF P308 and I love it.

It adds 5# over the weight of the rifle with the ACS? Why is it so heavy?
I will be shooting prone or from a bench so the weight isn't a real problem.
The guy who mentioned trading hasn't replied yet, and has a very low post count and just joined another forum so it might not go anyway. I may still just buy one later.

Jim

The PRS is a fixed stock- right?
I really don't feel like the cheek weld is as solid when the stock itself moves.

About what position does the PRS compare to on the ACS? Is it approximately as long as the ACS when fully extended?

Jim

yes its fixed, and its heavy cuz its built well
smile.gif

The PRS is a great stock. While technically a fixed stock it does have a screw-adjustable butt pad for LOP. It's an extremely solid platform.

As Coldboremiracle and BattleAxe stated above, it's heavy because it's built solid. It's not something you'll have to worry about falling apart or tearing up.

Yes, the PRS is a fixed stock. Regardless of whether the cheek piece or shoulder piece is extended, it's solid and won't move around on you.

I've not used the ACS so I can't comment on the pros/cons in comparison.

Worst case scenario; if you don't like it, you won't have any problem selling it.

They are worth the money I change out my A-2 fixed stock with one. You will like the PRS stock due to the cheek peice ans LOP being adjustible. The button hook on the bottom is nice and it also has a removeable cover for a rail that you can mount a mono-pod on the rear if you choose. One thing though, you are going to have to change your buffer tube to one without the spacer and that is used with a fixed stock. If you have questions go to mag pulls website and look at the PRS and the picture illustrations and dierections. Buffer tubes are easy to change out and they are not expensive.

Good point on the buffer tube, Zebra308, and if he doesn't have a rifle length buffer and spring then he'll have to change those out as well.

It won't add anywhere NEAR 5lbs over and above the ACS!! Where the heck do you all get these numbers from?!?!

It WILL ABSOLUTELY ADD additional weight to the back end of the rifle which can be a plus or a minus depending on YOU as the shooter.

The ACS, with a carbine buffer tube, spring, buffer, etc. weighs in at just over 1.6lbs (depending on the buffer you run).

The PRS, with rifle buffer tube, spring, buffer will weigh in at approx. 2.75lbs. So in total, you'll have added an additional 1lb or so of weight to your rifle with the PRS...NOWHERE NEAR 5LBS!!!

The advantages of the PRS are that it is solid as a rock, offers you tons of adjustability in terms of LOP and the adjustable comb to get you a perfect position behind your optics, etc.

I personally think that the UBR is a perfect compromise between a traditional collapsible stock like the ACS/CTR/etc., and a heavier, bulkier fixed stock unit like the PRS. The UBR offers a fixed position cheekweld thanks to the entry receiver tube, but offers the LOP/collapsibility of a traditional collapsible stock. Weight-wise, it falls between the ACS and PRS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It won't add anywhere NEAR 5lbs over and above the ACS!! Where the heck do you all get these numbers from?!?!

It WILL ABSOLUTELY ADD additional weight to the back end of the rifle which can be a plus or a minus depending on YOU as the shooter.

The ACS, with a carbine buffer tube, spring, buffer, etc. weighs in at just over 1.6lbs (depending on the buffer you run).

The PRS, with rifle buffer tube, spring, buffer will weigh in at approx. 2.75lbs. So in total, you'll have added an additional 1lb or so of weight to your rifle with the PRS...NOWHERE NEAR 5LBS!!!

The advantages of the PRS are that it is solid as a rock, offers you tons of adjustability in terms of LOP and the adjustable comb to get you a perfect position behind your optics, etc.

I personally think that the UBR is a perfect compromise between a traditional collapsible stock like the ACS/CTR/etc., and a heavier, bulkier fixed stock unit like the PRS. The UBR offers a fixed position cheekweld thanks to the entry receiver tube, but offers the LOP/collapsibility of a traditional collapsible stock. Weight-wise, it falls between the ACS and PRS. </div></div>

I was simply guessing. I've never weighed the PRS but I could tell the difference in weight after installation.

According to the <span style="font-weight: bold">Botach Tactical website</span>, the Magpul PRS is exactly 1.85lbs with the rifle receiver extension.

Yeah I forgot about the buffer and spring.

Is this for a 308 or 223 SASS? Because if its for the 308 you should make sure its a 308 specific PRS. The 308 model has a shorter cheek piece so that wont interfere with the charging handle.

Yes it's a .308. The guy who brought it up apparently just bought a used .308 SASS that came with the PRS. He said he doesn't like it and wants to trade for an ACS.
He hasn't replied to my IMs yet and is a very new resident of that other forum. From checking his others posts he may not even have the rifle. I am just going to patiently wait and see. Nothing may come of this. If not I will probably just buy one after my bank account recovers from Christmas. There's no hurry since I can shoot it with the ACS. I just don't like the play in it.

Jim

Ok, tell em this. The guy who wants to trade the PRS to me will send the buffer and everything needed for me to install it on my rifle.
I will send the ACS and the BufferTech buffer and spring on my rifle.
Would that seem to me an equitable trade?
More to the point, would you trade an ACS with BufferTech short Ar Restor hydraulic buffer for a PRS?

Jim

I cant believe your acs has any play. Mine is rock solid and it is a great stock. Is the lock. .. locking up properly? Also might be the wrong tube. Sometimes guys screw up and put milspec stocks on commercial tubes. That would explain the play. Mic the id of the stock and the od of the tube. That will tell you pretty quick.

? do you have the 3/4" spacer at the end of the tube, or maybe the spacer is a bit too long.

Why do you hate the PRS? I have never held a rifle with one installed, but just looking at the specs and details it seems to be a good stock. I liked the adjustable cheek riser and butt spacer. The main reason I was thinking of doing this is the slight movement on my ACS. If I can eliminate that I may keep it.
The guy I am talking to about trading is a very new member on another board and has been very slow to respond to questions. I might not be trading with him unless I get a lot more confident about him.

I will check into the items a couple of posters mentioned earlier. But I would like to hear why you don't like the PRS. I hear a lot of positive things but I like to hear both sides.

Jim

I just pulled it out and found the "lever" that locks the stock. There is still a very small amount of movement but I could live with it.

So, is the PRS better enough to go to the trouble of trading and changing everything out? Keep in mind that there is a Buffer Tech buffer in my tube if that counts for much.

Jim

It depends on what you're using the rifle for. The ACS is a collapsable carbine stock meant for shooters who need that feature such as LEO and soldiers wearing body armor. The PRS is a fixed precision rifle stock with and adjustable cheek piece and butt plate. I have one on my 20" Armalite AR-10 and it fits the purpose quite well. An ACR would have no use on my rifle.

I am not LEO or Mil and do not wear body armor.
I will be using my rifle mostly at the range, with some hunting when I get a chance. A friend inherited several thousand acres, but I have to make time to get out there.
I will probably only shoot prone or from a bench or other rest. I won't be shooting off-hand or moving.
I think the PRS would be a good choice, but it's not like I can't use the rifle as is. I don't like to change something just for the sake of change. If the PRS wouldn't be a definite improvement I won't bother.

Jim

Sounds like the PRS would be the ideal stock for what you do. My AR-10 is set up similar to SASS and the PRS lets me adjust the cheekweld and LOP just where I need it. My AR-10 came with the A2 stock, so all I had to do was swap them out. I might have had to remove the buttstock spacer, but I don't remember for certain.