• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DRACOS or PROOF RESEARCH or something else ?

I created a thread on LRH about CF barrel results. Just to see what everyone was getting. I'd been looking at CF barrels for the past month and everything pointed to PROOF. But i couldn't honestly find that many end user results. I ended up getting a PROOF sendero light 1in8 twist .284 blank planning on a 7 Sherman Shortmag with it for hunting. They're on sale 730$ free shipping most everywhere right now.

I know nothing about Dracos i think Frank is getting one according to the last podcast.

I went with a Hardy CF barrel on my 6.5 Creedmoor bolt gun mated to a Surgeon 591. I went Hardy based on the Smith's recommendation and the fact that every one they have done shoots lights out.

I forgot about Hardy the one review i've seen of them (Oneil ops CR Mod 1 review) was a 3/8 MOA gun if not lower. Though they are more expensive than PROOF to my knowledge.

Which barrel would you go with for the 6.5cm bolt gun ?

For the Draco’s are you sending in your own blank or buying one from them? I’m not sure what blanks they are using so sending in your own will at least give you that piece of mind.

The Proof carbon fiber wrapped barrels have been performing well for our clients and personal rifles we’ve used them on. We see them as a weight saving option.

Link to a video on a client build with Proof carbon and Prime ammo.

Reactions: 5RWill
I forgot about Hardy the one review i've seen of them (Oneil ops CR Mod 1 review) was a 3/8 MOA gun if not lower. Though they are more expensive than PROOF to my knowledge.

I believe you’re correct, last I looked they were $1,200-$1,250 and the Proof stuff has gotten cheaper as they’ve increased production.

I believe you’re correct, last I looked they were $1,200-$1,250 and the Proof stuff has gotten cheaper as they’ve increased production.

They can be had a little cheaper, 800-900$ i believe. I was look at them as an alternative to PROOF. They do shoot. Proof is now 730$ everywhere though with free shipping, not sure if that's a sale or what. I'll probably keep an eye for a cert this summer, i'd like to snag a 224v barrel for my SPR.

Here's a Hardy for 789$ they don't have near the amount of retailers in the states as PROOF.
https://dallasrifle.com/products/hardy-rifle-engineering-carbon-wrapped-blank

They do shoot though..

Reactions: JFComfort
They can be had a little cheaper, 800-900$ i believe. I was look at them as an alternative to PROOF. They do shoot. Proof is now 730$ everywhere though with free shipping, not sure if that's a sale or what. I'll probably keep an eye for a cert this summer, i'd like to snag a 224v barrel for my SPR.

Here's a Hardy for 789$ they don't have near the amount of retailers in the states as PROOF.
https://dallasrifle.com/products/hardy-rifle-engineering-carbon-wrapped-blank

They do shoot though..

I appreciate that. I’ll check them out!

Reactions: 5RWill
yep Blake and I import and distribute Hardy. Our experience has been that they shoot in the .2-3" vicinity with quality factory ammo literally from the get-go, and continue to do so.

If you'd like to hear an opinion from someone with no skin in the game call GAP, LRI, or Alamo Precision Rifles.

Reactions: beretta_man11
I am not in any way saying that proof barrels are better than Dracos or Hardy - I have PROOF 16” .308 1:10 and 20” 1:8 6.5 CM for my AX SA. Both are hammers, very pleased.

Hey JFC...still a movie star...

The owner of Hardy Precision (Dan) is an awesome dude...the whole crew is tops. And, the Dallas Rifle team that imports them will set you up. No rounds downrange but my wife's rifle (Defiant) should be back next two weeks with a both 6.5 and .223 Hardy CF...range report to follow.

BTW, when I talked to DRACOS ~ 18 months ago, they were initially offering a lifetime warranty...yep you heard that right. Even if you shot it out....

Cheers
ZY

Reactions: snarkscarbine
yep Blake and I import and distribute Hardy. Our experience has been that they shoot in the .2-3" vicinity with quality factory ammo literally from the get-go, and continue to do so.

If you'd like to hear an opinion from someone with no skin in the game call GAP, LRI, or Alamo Precision Rifles.

I noticed on your site that there is an option for the Hardy barrel with an AXMC tenon. Is that only for the longer action AXMC or is that also available for the shorter action AX rifles?

I had a Hardy 6.5 Creedmoor CF barrel, and was definitely a great shooter. Shot it out and went Proof steel.

I currently have a Proof CF on a 300 Norma mag. 1200 yards with it is boring. I went 4 for 9 at mile this past Sunday. She's a shooter.

Reactions: MarkCO
I noticed on your site that there is an option for the Hardy barrel with an AXMC tenon. Is that only for the longer action AXMC or is that also available for the shorter action AX rifles?

It's for the fatter 1.350" knox that the MC needs for those big m30 threads. Requires a fatter piece of steel to start with. An AT/AX308 should be fine with a standard 1.24" blank.

Hey JFC...still a movie star...

The owner of Hardy Precision (Dan) is an awesome dude...the whole crew is tops. And, the Dallas Rifle team that imports them will set you up. No rounds downrange but my wife's rifle (Defiant) should be back next two weeks with a both 6.5 and .223 Hardy CF...range report to follow.

BTW, when I talked to DRACOS ~ 18 months ago, they were initially offering a lifetime warranty...yep you heard that right. Even if you shot it out....

Cheers
ZY

Good meeting you, amigo. Keep in touch!

For the Draco’s are you sending in your own blank or buying one from them? I’m not sure what blanks they are using so sending in your own will at least give you that piece of mind.

The Proof carbon fiber wrapped barrels have been performing well for our clients and personal rifles we’ve used them on. We see them as a weight saving option.

Link to a video on a client build with Proof carbon and Prime ammo.

seems there blanks are from BLACK HOLE never heard of them

My thoughts echo spife's - Just go w/ a SS match grade rifle cut barrel.

I have a proof 6.5x 47 - and it's awesome in it's intended application of a nice lightweight mid cartridge hunting setup. But standard SS barrels are probably a better option all together for most folks. Especially if you are going 6.5/6 caliber where you feel guilty taking shots - taking you one step closer to having to trash that 800 dollar barrel. But in its intended purpose; it's awesome! Very light and very accurate.

IF you have to have one- and can't sleep without having that carbon fiber in your loins, then I think proof is a good option. I have gotten some incredible keyholed groups from it. Dracos is still brand new to the game in our world- but them guys been dragging their feet for a while now, not sure I want to pay near a grand for a blank from an AR rooted company, but shit if they shoot good and they really do warranty stuff, then I would be down for sure, but not on the first iteration of it. But I would think real hard on your value proposition and intended application before going for it.

Reactions: JFComfort
If you are talking about Black Hole Weaponry, they make excellent barrels.

Definitely not just a cheap AR barrel producer. They are good quality.
That's some funny schit there. Black Hole may not be the best but they are solid and not too cheap

That is news to me but admittedly I do not have first hand experience with Black Hole barrels.