• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Drag bag or Pelican? Which do most prefer

Pointblanktx

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 30, 2012
Tampa, FL
What do most of you carry your custom rifles in, a dragbag or a hard case pelican style case? I am sure they both have their ups and downs, but those of you that have or have had both which do you use more? Just kind of looking for basic uses at outdoor ranges, local field matches and what not.

If you aren't traveling by air, sea, etc., then the Pelican/Storm/etc. hard cases are generally more of a hindrance than a help!! They are heavy, cumbersome, somewhat difficult to lug around depending on what vehicle you own/use, etc. While they'll more than adequately protect your rifle against all manner of TSA/baggage handling monkeys and the accompanying nightmarish aspects of nation-wide and world travel, they are overkill and generally unnecessary for 99% of transport to/from the range, local/regional matches you'll be driving to and the like.

When my rifle gets thrown in the back of a pickup truck with all my buddies rifles, steel targets/stands, ammo cases and coolers, it's nice to know while we are bouncing down a washboard road that my rifle is in a pelican. I keep the rifle in the voodoo case in the pelican with no foam. If I am going to a local range solo for a couple hours...I just take the voodoo case.
On a side note, it's nice to know that if God forbid we were to roll the truck on some mountain road (don't laugh we've come very close) in the ensuing yard sale along the side of the road, my rifle would be in a pelican. I like to throw a couple pad locks on the pelican case and wrap the handles with bicycle cable locks and secure it to my seat posts in the truck cab when I road trip to reduce the meth heads chances of makin off with my chit when I go inside a burger joint to eat.

as above, if you are planning on traveling or throwing it in the bed of a pickup and not worrying about it get a pelican. if you are in a more compact or protected vehicle do a soft case. For me it's just way more convenient having everything I need for a particular rifle set up in a pelican, throwing it in the pickup and hitting the road with no worries about protection

i use a drag bag most of the time..a pelican when i fly

I use the Pelican when I fly and need to have the rifle under lock and key.
You can ship the rifle in the drag bag or soft case inside the Pelican case, and then you'll have a soft case to haul the rifle around in when you get where you are going. I've been on a lot of trips where the soft case was a lot more convenient in a rental car. The Pelican stayed in the motel room until it was time to pack up for the flight back home.

as above, if you are planning on traveling or throwing it in the bed of a pickup and not worrying about it get a pelican. if you are in a more compact or protected vehicle do a soft case. For me it's just way more convenient having everything I need for a particular rifle set up in a pelican, throwing it in the pickup and hitting the road with no worries about protection

This is my take as well. My bolt gun and my AR both have hard cases with cut foam. I am not an Operator, nor professional sniper so my gear goes to the range and the occasional match. Once it comes out of the case, it usually stays out until its time to go home. This makes the hard case a non issue as far as carrying it, and your pile of cash in the case is ready for whatever you throw at it. I have several soft cases, and always tend to throw the rifles into "their" case and deal with the bulky pack in and out of the house...

Pelican. I have no use for a drag bag. If it's out, it's ready. I do have to say, though, that lately I do use a soft case in a baseball bat bag to transport the rifle to and from the car when at home, so the neighbors don't have messes in their dresses, and the bad guys stay clueless. Helps to wear a jersey though.

Pelican here too. Way more protection than a soft case IMO. They are heavier and more cumbersome though. I thought about buying a dragbag one time and my wife said, "Why? It's not Jon-proof." lol.

Pelican. I have no use for a drag bag. If it's out, it's ready. I do have to say, though, that lately I do use a soft case in a baseball bat bag to transport the rifle to and from the car when at home, so the neighbors don't have messes in their dresses, and the bad guys stay clueless. Helps to wear a jersey though.

awesome :)

I like drag bags. My experience is that a gun will rust in a hard case if it left in it for more than a few days, maybe the pelican is better but I wouldn’t risk it.

Haha...thats great, gonna have to remember that one!

I don't fly so don't need case for that but I am happy with my drag bag. I have a storm/pelican one of the two but only use the drag bag. I keep several things in it that comes in handy, rear bags, long bipods, ammo, lrf, rifle data, etc. I take as good of care of it as I can but it gets thrown around a bit and does good.

I like drag bags. My experience is that a gun will rust in a hard case if it left in it for more than a few days, maybe the pelican is better but I wouldn’t risk it.

I use my pelicans to store the rifles as right now a safe would fall through my 100+ year old floor. But they get taken out and put into drag bag most of the time when going to the range.

The above you can buy the descate (sp?) packets and they will absorb the moisture so this wont happen.

I have the old Eagle Industries drag bag / shooters mat. I also use a soft guitar case since I have a folding stock on my rifle to hide it from wandering eyes and I do want a pelican eventually but just for air travel.

Eberlestock gunslinger.
The Eberlestock Gunslinger is the best pack I have and that is after buying drag bags and pelican cases. I can never see myself going back to the others while my Gunslinger is still working.

Attachments

• 34ybv6g.jpg
    34ybv6g.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 23
  • vzy43q.jpg
    vzy43q.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 25
I was using a drag bag, which is far more convenient than my Storm Case, but I noticed that I would lose zero all the time, so I went back to the Storm and the issue stopped. I sometimes leave my rifle in the truck for weeks at a time because I never know when I will be able to get the opportunity to shoot. For that, the Storm is better. For a quick drive to the range, a drag bag is fine. For a long hike, I prefer a backpack and to carry my rifle by the sling.

I admit, there was a time...long ago when I thought my rifles always needed to be transported in a pelican with custom cut foam nestled around them anytime they left the house. Funny now that I think about it.

Like others have said the Pelican case is great to throw in the back of my truck but it is bulky and heavy. I'm thinking about buying a gs2 pack for convenience though.

Honestly, I just throw my gun around while its in the soft case, haven't had a problem yet (knock on wood), used to have it in a hard case, but it just wasn't worth the trouble

i wrap my rifle in the foam from a pelican, just the foam, then tape that tight, then put that bundle inside a drag bag, after that put the drag bag inside the empty pelican case. Take that pelican case and put it in a diamond plate truck box and lock it. From here you need a forklift to lift the truckbox into the back of a pickem up truck.

Just how I does it.

I use a Pelican for transport in vehicles and aircraft, and a sling for transport at matches. I don't use a mat usually unless it has been raining.

I had several Pelicans, and they do protect, but are a little overkill when going to the local range. I had Sunnysidescott make me up a nice soft case to take my AI 338 Lapua to the range. J

Both,

The Larue setup above is nice that they nest. Couldent make it work for my rig.

Its also nice to throw a pelican on the back of a atv and hit it. If it gets all muddy, just rince it off and back to where you started.

The two fit totally different purposes. I like to have a pelican when I go to the range because I worry about my rifle to the point that if I get in a wreck, I a pretty confident the Pelican will survive it. But damn that thing is fricken bulky. If you want something easy to carry around, go for the drag bag.