• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Drag bag/Shooting mat

Toney198

Tikka Tweaker
Minuteman
Oct 28, 2017
Can yall point me in the right direction for the drag bag/shooting mat combo? I have the TAC A1 so im trying to find one long enough (dont want to fold the rifle if I dont have to), I like the concept of the ones that have the built in straps to load the bipod, but I have no experience if they work or a novelty. I would also prefer it not to be $300.oo

Thanks!

Reactions: Vitality
I have one and use it all the time. It is nice but the black rubber where your elbows go is just too damn hot when in the sun. Also the ends have ripped out and Galati would not warranty even though it was barely a few months old when it started happening.

They are expensive but its a one stop solution.

My opinion after having several of the old eagle industries ones, don’t get the combo. Yes it’s convenient having one item instead of two but if you’re really using the mat you’re going to end up with it soaking wet, caked with mud, covered in dust, and possibly even cow/goat/dog shit. You really don’t want to wrap your rifle up in that after your done, especially if it’s wet.

I’d buy a good mat like the Cross Tac. I bought one based on recommendations and it’s worth the price. Very well padded, comfortable, and extremely heavy duty. I have no doubt it will last a lifetime.

Then get yourself a well padded quality case for your rifle, and not a drag bag because you’ll end up with so much junk in it that you can’t carry it. If you look on CDNN you can often get eagle soft cases at crazy liquidation prices.

You’ll have a mat that you don’t have to worry about what you lay it in, and a nice clean dry home for rifle when you’re done shooting.

Reactions: harry_x1 and pga43
That's what I love about this site. Great advice. Some things I didn't quite think through. I believe I'll keep my two Midway shooting mats (regular and premium) and stick to a case for the rifle and gear. Thanks.

I really like the midway premium mats for the money . They seem to hold up well and they run sales fairly often on them.

Tac ops bag is great for to and from the range. I use those cases more than anything and even when traveling. It includes a shooting mat and has shoulder straps for carrying. You will need a long. I got the last one I bought from Primal Rights a few weeks ago.
BTW...the small, long, outside pouch on the tac ops bag is for a suppressor and works very well for the intended purpose...or you can put your kestrel there if you don't have a suppressor.
Now...if you are carrying a long way you will want a waist strap as well as the shoulder straps. Eberlestock makes several different options. The "low drag" is a good option for a low profile bag with scabbard attached. It does not have a cover for the butt of the rifle...but for hunting trips it is really not necessary. I ended up buying the "gunslinger II". It has a larger pack, Molle inside the pack, and a butt cover for the top of the rifle. These packs are top notch quality and comfortable to carry. There is plenty of room to add the shooting mat of your choice and carry it inside or out. I can carry my complete kit in the gunslinger 2 and still have room for 3 days of food.
Now...the down side to the eberlestock packs is that there is not as much protection for the rifle as the tac ops bags offer.