• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dragunov

Mr Silverman

Private
Minuteman
Sep 30, 2011
Little Washington, VA
I have accepted that I will probably be flamed for this.

Would anyone consider a Draguov a Sniper rifle or a Squad Designated Marksman Rifle.

In our Army we had the generic squad setup save a designated marksman with a M16A4 that had been accurized by the Army Marksmanship Unit (Perks of being 3/3ID). Would you all consider the Dragunov a similiar version of this?

Side note: Big Army took all of our accurized M16's..... unauthorized mods.
frown.gif

Re: Dragunov

Sniper Rifle vs. Squad Designated Marksman Rifle has more to do with tactics then rifles.

There are confirmed kills at 700 yards with a scoped M16a1 used as a sniper rifle.

I've seen a Model 70 W/ a Unertl Scope "on line" with the squad in an assault on a village.

To understand the Dragunov you have to look at the tactics used to employ them.

I agree with Kraig. What makes a Sniper rifle has less to do with it's accuracy and more to do with how it's used.

Thank you for the quick response. I think you bring up a good point of implimentation vs. accuracy. It is definitely something I hadnt thought about.

squad designated marksman. unless i am badly misinformed,idea is to be able to put semi auto aimed fire on targets beyond reasonable AK range. most imported into the US ae what are called "tigers". they are a shorter sporter version. smae action & config just shorter barrel. counterpoint in airborne units? i think not,but don't know. i believe that less than 100 real military length SVDs were imported here (80s?). yes expensive and i don't kow if 4K would do it. i have a friend who has one and he has said that 4K might move him,but,likely not. have never seen a "tiger" go < 2K and that was 4 years ago.

SVD's are more of a novelty item. A buddy of mine has a Tiger and a all matching NDM-86. (yes the Norinco is worth buckets of money)

Anyway, the accuracy on both is not phenominal. You'd expect a rifle that can fetch 5k+ to be very accurate.

He managed to find some 7n1 ammo, and the accuracy was good. right around 1 minute. The generic 54r ammo thats availiable everywhere, is terrible, coming in around 3-4 minutes.

After shooting the real deal in a couple places overseas I really wanted one for the novelty value.

That was until I started hitting the gunshows in the states and seeing what they were going for. The money was too rich for my blood and the sellers seemed to believe they were the greatest "sniper rifles" in the world.

Surprisingly "mild" recoil for such a cartridge. Prob due to its overall heft and length. Although shortened, they're still long as hell. The SVD stock is much nicer to use w the supplied scope than the PSL as well

Dragunov

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mike f</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sellier and privi both make 54r match. sellier shot about 2 in my PU repro. </div></div>
Sellier&Bellot is not the best ammunition for this gun.
PRIVI Partizan - I have no try yet.
I have no SVD in my use, but get something similar. At first I used Russian ammo called Barnaul, but there were problems with it - from 20 rounds 2 or 3 rounds were detonating.
Now using SAKO Range for training.
Trying to get Russian sport Ammo called XTRA. Many shooters told that it was great ammo for target shooting, but not in production more.

gunto,those ammos i mention are all i know about over here. didn't know sako made it. bet you can't get it over here. if so,would be > $1/r i bet. not sure about 7n1 in these,maybe. some of it is still around. barnaul might be good. i always thought it was best in 5.45 in my 74s.

Ive heard nothing but good things about 7N1 ammunition. 1MOA seems to be about the accuracy also.

One of my friends has a PSL and says its a 1MOA gun. I was really suprised by this and went to see him shoot... (at a 25m range)...

logic'd.

25m range....????

Interesting.

I'd only ever use that distance for initial zero work, black powder pistols and pistol calibre "gallery" rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mike f</div><div class="ubbcode-body">gunto,those ammos i mention are all i know about over here. didn't know sako made it. bet you can't get it over here. if so,would be > $1/r i bet. not sure about 7n1 in these,maybe. some of it is still around. barnaul might be good. i always thought it was best in 5.45 in my 74s. </div></div>
So what is the price per round for ammo that you are using?
Sako in my country costs 1.5 USD per round!

Not saying my friends arnt the sharpest tools in the shed, but with some of them, the gates are down, flashers are on, but there just isnt a train coming.

Great guys though!!!

I think a nice FN FAL is in the same ballpark, and cost less & a big thing is reliable metal magazines

Although the FN FAL is a solid battle rifle it's a bit more lively than a Dragunov or NDM-86 Tiger in the shoulder/hands.

I own 2 NDM's, one in 308 and another in 7.62R. The 308 is slightly more accurate than the 7.62R. On thing you have to be careful about is not using brass cased ammo in the 7.62R version. Their is a warning in the original SVD manual ( so I am told) to use only steel cased ammo. I have seen 2 Draganov's 1 SVD and 1 NDM suffer catastrophic head failures when the operator was using brass cased ammo.