• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Drama with landlord. Who is responsible for cost?

You have spoken to and have contact info of said buyer? Tell him whats going on and that if the landlord doesn't eat the bill you are moving.
By now, that's probably what the landlord is hoping for......

Landlord here. We have rentals that if any of the tenants threatened to leave, we'd go help them pack. New tenants would probably pay 15 or 20% more in rent. (We don't typically jack up rent on "decent" tenants, particularly if they pay on time).

However, new renters pay at market.

By now, that's probably what the landlord is hoping for......

Landlord here. We have rentals that if any of the tenants threatened to leave, we'd go help them pack. New tenants would probably pay 15 or 20% more in rent. (We don't typically jack up rent on "decent" tenants, particularly if they pay on time).

However, new renters pay at market.
We are excellent tenants, and that’s what pisses me off. Why fuck with good people who have always paid on time, and never brought any sort of trouble to your rental.
Our current landlord recommended us highly to the realtor, who commented that we’ve taken excellent care of the property. The realtor then relayed that info to the perspective buyer, who then said if the deal goes through he would like to keep us on as tenants.

Then turn around and try to stick me for a $300 water bill because his hands are nearly washed of the property and he doesn’t give a fuck. I just don’t get it.

Normally water comes from the city line, to a meter on or about your residence, then to the inside with shutoffs to outdoor landscaping, the internal water heater, etc. So you pay for "what's after the meter", not heard of a leak "before the meter" that you pay for. Clear that up for us.

Normally water comes from the city line, to a meter on or about your residence, then to the inside with shutoffs to outdoor landscaping, the internal water heater, etc. So you pay for "what's after the meter", not heard of a leak "before the meter" that you pay for. Clear that up for us.
The leak was after the meter.

That $300 is going to look cheap if the landlord starts wanting to be a complete pain in your ass for the rest of the time you live there.
Ahhhh, but when he moves out the shoe will be on the other foot. Stiff the landlord for the deposit, blue all the appliances shut with super glue, a sock full of Portland cement down the shitter, a couple well placed 308 rounds through the roof and a dead animal left somewhere inaccessible.

Payback a bitch..

I don't see why the renter should be responsible for a buried pipe - nothing they do can impact it, and a water supply would to my mind be part of the essential services to come with the house.
If an electrical wire shorted inside a wall, would the renter be responsible for fixing that?

And yes, you shouldn't be allowed out if you can't isolate the water. That stuff is integral to being an adult.

We are excellent tenants, and that’s what pisses me off. Why fuck with good people who have always paid on time, and never brought any sort of trouble to your rental.
Our current landlord recommended us highly to the realtor, who commented that we’ve taken excellent care of the property. The realtor then relayed that info to the perspective buyer, who then said if the deal goes through he would like to keep us on as tenants.

Then turn around and try to stick me for a $300 water bill because his hands are nearly washed of the property and he doesn’t give a fuck. I just don’t get it.
I’d offer to let you out of your lease.

If an electrical wire shorted inside a wall, would the renter be responsible for fixing that?

And yes, you shouldn't be allowed out if you can't isolate the water. That stuff is integral to being an adult.
Perhaps

78317900-56a27fa83df78cf77276bb55.jpg

messy-electric-cords-too-many-plugged-one-decorative-electrical-outlet-plus-cable-all-tangle-127239823.jpg

Any old dummy can fix a pipe, the hardest part is getting it/keeping it dry for gluing if it’s pvc.

Pro tip from an actual 40 year master plumber, wadded up slice of bread works great to plug a pipe when gluing, the water pressure blows it apart when you crack the valve.

Last edited:
Interesting one, I have never seen a water leak you could rig and stop. Was it flex seal? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

You have never seen someone repair a home water pipe with a piece of rubber hose and a few hose clamps?

or here is a more professional half assed fix

There are many products out there to do something like this (half assed fix)

SMH..

Although I sympathize with the people making comments about how retarded it is that the OP doesn't know how to turn the water off to his house, most of you don't realize how fucking retarded our country actually is. I know most of my tenants are about as retarded as Simple Jack and literally don't know how to change a light bulb or AC return filter (you think I'm joking but I only wish I were). I have to have in writing, in their lease, and then verbaly explained to them at the time of signing, that they are required to own a fire extinguisher, a plunger, and a god damn vacuum cleaner. Most of the time, they can't even do those things right. I get calls daily to my office about mysterious beeping (dead smoke alarm), kitchen light no longer works (blown bulb), and AC is blowing hot (2" thick of shit built up on return filter.)

You say "The OP is a retard", I say "he's smart enough to realize that running water on a warm day isn't normal and should probably call someone when he's too stupid to fix it."

I feel the OP is above average intelligence of the current day population.

Just a quick question if I may.
Do you know how to turn off the water main leading from the meter to a house?
The only place I ever lived that had city water, homeowners were forbidden from accessing the city main shutoff in the sidewalk for each house. Not that their rules influenced me, and I got the tool and turned it off anytime I needed to, but I was told I was supposed to call the city & have them come out & turn it on and off.

The only place I ever lived that had city water, homeowners were forbidden from accessing the city main shutoff in the sidewalk for each house. Not that their rules influenced me, and I got the tool and turned it off anytime I needed to, but I was told I was supposed to call the city & have them come out & turn it on and off.
That’s stupid, never heard of that. Id make sure the box was full of fire ants to greet them

I don't know any of the "intimate" details, so I'm go to keep a little distance. Just curious though, when was the last time your landlord raised the rent ? The length of time you've been there certainly factors in.

For our tenants, the good ones anyway, it's always been a positive "give and take" situation. Depending on the severity of the problem (and the type), sometimes we'd cover it, sometimes they would do it automatically (or, we would ask them to). Depending on their level of cooperation, we may (or may not (in most cases)) raise the rent. We went off of "seat of the pants", there was no "scorecard". We had one tenant that was so good that we kept their rent the same for 11 years. Hell, they paid 11 years of a 30 year mortgage and we were cashflow positive.

We've had some bad ones too. Don't pay, trash the place, leave unpaid utility bills, holes in doors/sheetrock, broken windows, cabinets, piss off the neighbors, etc..... As much as I hate to say so, that's been about 20 to 25% of the time. It's gotten worse in the last 5 to 10 years. I'm not making any veiled comparisons to anyone when I say that. We just sold one of our rentals because quite frankly, we've been doing it for 30 years, we're tired of it and it's time to start liquidating. Your landlord may be in the same position. Remember, their hassles add up too and it takes a toll (on both sides). He may be at his end goal of finally paying off the mortgage and being done with it. Maybe he's carrying around a little resentment from what (who) he's had to put up with before you. If so, not saying it's fair to you, but it happens.

I don't know any of the "intimate" details, so I'm go to keep a little distance. Just curious though, when was the last time your landlord raised the rent ? The length of time you've been there certainly factors in.

For our tenants, the good ones anyway, it's always been a positive "give and take" situation. Depending on the severity of the problem (and the type), sometimes we'd cover it, sometimes they would do it automatically (or, we would ask them to). Depending on their level of cooperation, we may (or may not (in most cases)) raise the rent. We went off of "seat of the pants", there was no "scorecard". We had one tenant that was so good that we kept their rent the same for 11 years. Hell, they paid 11 years of a 30 year mortgage and we were cashflow positive.

We've had some bad ones too. Don't pay, trash the place, leave unpaid utility bills, holes in doors/sheetrock, broken windows, cabinets, piss off the neighbors, etc..... As much as I hate to say so, that's been about 20 to 25% of the time. It's gotten worse in the last 5 to 10 years. I'm not making any veiled comparisons to anyone when I say that. We just sold one of our rentals because quite frankly, we've been doing it for 30 years, we're tired of it and it's time to start liquidating. Your landlord may be in the same position. Remember, their hassles add up too and it takes a toll (on both sides). He may be at his end goal of finally paying off the mortgage and being done with it. Maybe he's carrying around a little resentment from what (who) he's had to put up with before you. If so, not saying it's fair to you, but it happens.
I fix shit and send my landlord before and after pics if it’s something easy. He just replies “👍🏻“ and we move on. Easier for both of us and I don’t have to wait weeks for him to show up.

Also they halfass shit. I’ve saved him thousands in 2 years he better remember that lol.

The take-home of this thread is:

quit renting.

(but sh*t is so expensive and mortgage rates on the rise - not an enviable position.).

Reactions: SONIC SAAMI
Being an adult
responsible man
for some men it's just too much
Society has beaten the man out of some men
I think their dads/grandpas or even moms in some cases just did a bad job not necessarily society as a whole, though it doesn’t help.

I know some women that’ll fix shit like a mofo. Hell my sister wrecked her first car and my dad dropped her at the body shop every day to help fix it lol.

I fix shit and send my landlord before and after pics if it’s something easy. He just replies “👍🏻“ and we move on. Easier for both of us and I don’t have to wait weeks for him to show up.
Yeah, and in most cases, we as landlords re-imbursed tenants for materials. Not their time, but in many cases, they would get in a tight spot and couldn't pay rent on time and we'd work with them. Sometimes, people have gotten as much as two months behind, but right now, I can't think of an instance where we've gotten totally stiffed.

In some cases, we've actually seen some pretty good reflections in the mirror when we looked because of some of the people that we've helped. They were good people that just got caught in a tight spot. And, they had kids. You can always tell a lot about the parents by looking at their kids. The ones that we helped had great kids and we were happy to help. Unless the parents were total shitheels, we wouldn't have been able to kick a family to the curb.

I think the biggest mistake that landlords make (particularly new ones) is to think it's a get rich quick scheme. It's not. It's a lot of work and when a tenant has a legitimate problem, you sometimes have long nights or weekends when your buddies are out playing. Being a landlord is about the furthest thing from a passive investment that there is. It's a good investment over the long haul, but it has a lot of work associated with it.

The take-home of this thread is:

quit renting.

(but sh*t is so expensive and mortgage rates on the rise - not an enviable position.).
I’ve decided it’s bitter sweet, some situations I’m glad I rent some not so much. owning would be the same bs.

Yeah, and in most cases, we as landlords re-imbursed tenants for materials. Not their time, but in many cases, they would get in a tight spot and couldn't pay rent on time. Sometimes, people have gotten as much as two months behind, but right now, I can't think of an instance where we've gotten totally stiffed.

In some cases, we've actually seen some pretty good reflections in the mirror when we looked because of some of the people that we've helped. They were good people that just got caught in a tight spot. And, they had kids. You can always tell a lot about the parents by looking at their kids. The ones that we helped had great kids and we were happy to help. Unless the parents were total shitheels, we wouldn't have been able to kick a family to the curb.

I think the biggest mistake that landlords make (particularly new ones) is to think it's a get rich quick scheme. It's not. It's a lot of work and when a tenant has a legitimate problem, you sometimes have long nights or weekends when your buddies are out playing. Being a landlord is about the furthest thing from a passive investment that there is. It's a good investment over the long haul, but it has a lot of work associated with it.
The biggest problem is a majority of folks on both sides of the coin are shit lol

The whole thing is on him, you’re not responsible for his janky plumbing, if anything he should feel lucky you didn’t bill him for a hotel, a home without running water ain’t livable, it’s a rental home, not a rental camp ground.

Id start looking for a new place, you could probably do the court etc stuff, but ROI, Id just pull the eject.

Complete utter bullshit.

If you are renting housing act and contact yourself in a manner as to that you own that home and or housing.
Discipline is what will make you a good and successful homeowner in the future.

Reactions: Makinchips208
That $300 is going to look cheap if the landlord starts wanting to be a complete pain in your ass for the rest of the time you live there.

Depending on the state, collecting rent and having people live in a place without running water is kinda frowned upon, shit “well he told us we should fix it” they move out and file a mechanical lien, a angry renter can cause MUCH more financial issues, especially when the landlords position is to turn off all running water.

In some cases it’s easier to cut your losses and move on, you’d spend more fighting than paying it. As much as I hate to say that...

They have electronic monitors on ours now. Fiddle with it and they show up pretty quick.

Next time turn the water off, walk over and shit in his yard Leave the TP in the mailbox,. If he asks why you did it,, ask him why he didnt fix the water leak. Use his hose for a shower. He'll fix it.
I would recommend leaving the mailbox out of it. The mailbox belongs to the US Postal Service. Putting used TP in the box could be considered disrupting the mail, which is a felony. The nutty thing is that if you put it in the mailbox, you need to make sure you put the proper postage on it because that also falls under disrupting the mail.

Sounds like you found the secret to fast service
They shut them off electronically for a while. Although it didn't work at my rental last winter. And they came by to shut it off the other day when I called. So maybe that system doesn't work anymore. They have been having to come by and check the meters too. He said they needed new software for it to work again. Buy once cry once right? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Reactions: akmike47
I would recommend leaving the mailbox out of it. The mailbox belongs to the US Postal Service. Putting used TP in the box could be considered disrupting the mail, which is a felony. The nutty thing is that if you put it in the mailbox, you need to make sure you put the proper postage on it because that also falls under disrupting the mail.
How much of a turd can I mail with one stamp?

No it doesn't and no it can't. A mailbox is a tin box in front of the house. Don't steal the mail inside the worst your gonna get is petty vandalism.

"Treat it like you own it" means don't break shit and fix it when you do. It does not mean fix other people's shit. If you can repair it, great. But, maintenance of the structure and utilities is the responsibility of the land lord. A tenant should know where and how to use the water/gas shutoff, as well as the location and function of the breaker box.

All of this over a $300 water bill? FO with that. Pay it and move forward. Not worth the indigestion.

Owning a home is a lot of the same BS. But, at least you are investing in your own property and not paying someone else's mortgage.

Reactions: DeRico
Deduct it from the rent, then if he wants to drag it out it's on him.

Reactions: TurboTrout
Use flat rate box. Then you can really go for it without having to pinch off.....
I don't know. According to those that research such things, a really good loaf is about 400 grams- roughly 1 lb. Dropping one in a box and sending it standard rate would be cheaper than a flat rate box...

this fucking guy again......first his bullshit with the employer about fiberglass and them not giving him the proper ppe. then the claim of "juggling 3 jobs".....which he later admitted was actually "trying to decide between 3 jobs", not actually working 3 jobs.

and now this shit.

i have no more patience for this guy. he's either a troll, or one of the most inept people out there.

We have all learned "Lesson's in Life".. $300 is a cheap tuition for the lesson you learned. If you choose to go through life with the philosophy "This is not my problem" then be prepare to document every detail as if you were going into a Court of Law, because you probably will.

Dates, time of day, photos, eyewitnesses, call outs of utility companies, etc... Your documentation, in this case, is weak. If your documentation is much more detailed and through than your opponent then he will probably back down, pay you and walk off calling you an ass hole.

I'm just a patient, stubborn old retired welder. Small claims court is where this needs to go. In small claims court I have won cases against some of the largest Corporations in America (Sears, Bank of America, Montgomery Wards). In every case I learned something and put it away for future use.
59351840768e8d7b34953f7f5c5d3062.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: DarnYankeeUSMC