• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dress shoes designed for running - What brand?

GunKnowledge

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2011
Tempe, AZ
www.gunknowledge.com
I'm looking for dress shoes that would be appropriate for sprinting, in case of social work. None of my current loafers/oxford styles are worth a damn for moving at even a brisk pace, might as well be wearing shower shoes.

I'm hoping for something like a well padded sneaker insole, laced tongue, and appropriate thick rubber sole; all dressed up externally to look like a typical dress shoe.

I'm wondering if there's a company that specializes in something like this, but I can't find anything at the moment online.

Anybody in certain fields of employment have a recommended brand or supplier?

And no, I'm not interested in your dumbass opinions or comments on why someone would be running in a suit.

Re: Dress shoes designed for running - What brand?

Some of the Cole Haan's aren't bad, they are owned by Nike and some have Nike Air technology built in.

I have a nice pair of eccos that are plush but look nice. Not as dressy as a cole haan or allen edmonds though. I spent 4 12 hour days in them on concrete for a industry show and had no problems after those extended days. Light too.

If you don't mind 'barefoot', look at the Merrel Barefoot Life series of shoes/gloves (http://www.merrell.com/US/en/Barefoot_Mens).

I run in Merrel barefoots and have switched to a pair of the black life gloves for work. Business casual though. Probably too casual for you, but I thought I would share anyway.

Also have a look at Rockport shoes. I had an old pair that was full leather upper and rubber sneaker sole. Again, they are more business casual.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSwift</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

And no, I'm not interested in your dumbass opinions or comments on why someone would be running in a suit.
</div></div>

Awww, man! I had a wise ass comment ready to go.

If you travel shop in London or Asia. In those countries they get RAIN so even fancy dress shoes have rubber soles.

Or you can take your dress shoes in have rubber soles installed, it's not that difficult to have done. Most of mine have been modded "just in case."

Allen Edmonds laced, fit snug. Your cobbler (ha) can blue on a rubber sole onto any leather sole. Fit is the deal.

Perhaps you can check out some of the forums where executive protection people talk? I think that Lightfighter and GetOffTheX have such subforums.

KSwift,
Ecco is getting high reviews for shoes that are Executive Protection type rated. It is what the Secret Service dudes are using and come highly recommended.

Another vote for Ecco. I'm not in your line of work, but wear my Ecco's up to 14 hrs. a day, and run/jog in them from time to time. Good solid dress shoe. Mine are now almost 2 years old and wear them every day. Our hangar floor has a non-slip "grit" added to the floor paint which is very agressive, yet they have worn very well.

I have the ECCO Helsinki style lace ups with New Balance Sport Cushion insoles. This setup is just what you are looking for. The ECCO' s are very comfortable and extremely durable but the insoles make them nearly as good as my ASICS running shoes. Certainly not a cheap setup, but will last a very long time.

Mike

I own a lot of Cole Haan shoes with Air Tech. They're great for working trade show floors, but the soles are very thin. I've never had to sprint in them, but I'd look some where else for shoe that might be used in the event of a sprint.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSwift</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

Awww, man! I had a wise ass comment ready to go. </div></div>

Was it about door to door sales in Phoenix being a tough gig?

Just kidding. Here is what I would buy.

http://www.batesfootwear.com/US/en-US/Pr...-Leather-Oxford

Cole Haan Lunarglides

Ecco without a doubt. I trained with a bunch of OSS guys and they all wore their old dress shoes to the range for training and that was all they wore.

PSD is how I pay the bills, you will not be disappointed with Ecco Helsinki plain toe dress shoe.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For example.

http://www.colehaan.com/colehaan/catalog...uctGroup=528739

Whatever you do, make sure they aren't a full leather sole, slippery.</div></div>

I second this. I have a pair of Cole's, not for running but for being on my feet all day in business attire. They feel like sneakers.

Look at Rockports. I've got wingtips that would be suitable for running, if it becomes necessary (not a marathon), but secure laces and soft rubber soles with some ribs for traction.

I used Ecco's when I worked protection detail, they will work great for your purposes.