• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Drill/Electric Case Trimmer Qs

tubby1

Private
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2017
So, I've been using a Lyman Universal Case Trimmer to trim my brass and Im thinking about an upgrade. The Lyman is an older trimmer bought back in the 80s when my pops first started reloading. Im not sure if its due to age, or just characteristics of the product, but when Im trimming I notice sometimes the case moves around when it's supposed to be locked down, the lathe portion has a wobble, and it trims unevenly. It does the job, but there's a lot of stuff moving and wiggling. So, Ive been thinking about one of the electric case prep centers or one that chucks up in a drill. I was just looking for some opinions/recommendations on whats out there and what you good folks are using? Ones Ive looked at are the worlds finest case trimmer, trim-it, and the frankford arsenal case prep center with the electric trimmer. Just didn't know if any of these are worth a damn and accurate/consistent.

I just bought the trim it 2 and am really liking it. I was going to do the rcbs with 3 way trimmer and drill adapter but I would have had more in all that than the trim it 2 and it does everything I can ask. Chamfer deburrs all in one step. It's a pain to set up but once it's done it's done. Most people buy entire new ones to trim each different round but you can just buy the new holders for each different round. It works great once it's set up and much quicker than I've been using. Trimming brass is by far my least favorite part of brass prep especially chamfering so I was all for something to speed it up and save steps. I don't think you'll be dissapointed in it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That sounds pretty cool. So I could trim 223 and 6.5 creedmoor with the same trimmer as long as I had the right holders?

Right you'd just have to reset each time which is a pain and pretty time consuming but it's the same cutter and body you just buy a new holder. It's the exact same as the original trim it model like you mentioned it's just the new model. It trims chamfers and deburrs all at once instead of just cutting it flat and you having to chamfer it later it's all done at once

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I could never get my Trim-it II to work correctly. The cutter would never be centered such that the chamfer was even around the case -- it was always offset. I spent many hours trying, watching vids, reading various instructions, but could never get it to cut correctly. This problem has not been uncommon with the Trim-it II -- just google it. The regular Trim-it works fine and I used them in 308 and 223 for many thousands of cases, but does not chamfer and debur.

I got the Trim-it II because Giraud does not sell his Tri-way in 6.5 cm. I have the Tri-way in 308 and 223 and it works great. Doug sets them up and you are good to go. I finally bit the bullet and picked up a Giraud Power trimmer in 30.06 and 6.5cm since I do not have those calibers yet and will eventually get the 308 and 223 cutters/shell holders. At the cost of $180, it will wait a little since I already have the Tri-way in those calibers.

Thanks for the info. I wish he made the Tri-way for the 6.5 creedmoor. My friend has the one for the 308 family that he uses to trim 260, and he has nothing but good things to say about it.

I originally bought the Giraud TriWays in 223 and 308, and they work great, but tough on the fingers when doing lots of cases! When i added a few calibers that are not offered in the TriWay I moved up to the Giraud Power Trimmer, and it is very nice and easy on the fingers! If you think you'll eventually get the power trimmer, might as well go for it off the bat vs spending a couple of hundred on two triways, then biting the bullet like me! I resisted for a while using a L.E. Wilson for 6.5 Creedmoor and 6 Dasher...

Lee three jaw chuck, cordless drill, Lee ball grip trimmer, Lee $4 chamfer tool...priceless. lol

I tried a buddy's Tri-Way in .308 this weekend with great results. I used my cordless 18v drill and it worked ok, but using both hands causes fatigue earlier. If I decide to get my own Tri-Way I'll set up a corded drill in my vice for one handed trimming.

I tried a buddy's Tri-Way in .308 this weekend with great results. I used my cordless 18v drill and it worked ok, but using both hands causes fatigue earlier. If I decide to get my own Tri-Way I'll set up a corded drill in my vice for one handed trimming.

My buddy rigged something up on a small electric motor and his tri-way is mounted in it. Essentially built his own power trim. The engine is wired up to a switch and it even has a speed control knob that has a digital screen. Im not the handiest when it comes to things like that so I wouldn't be able to give you specifics. He's got is posted on his instagram account though. If you wanted to check it out you can look on there. His name is kingpin_precision_shooting. It was relatively cheap to build and I'm sure if you asked he could give you a parts list if it sounds like something you'd be interested in. I could also try and get it from him and post it on here if the concept interests you.

My buddy rigged something up on a small electric motor and his tri-way is mounted in it. Essentially built his own power trim. The engine is wired up to a switch and it even has a speed control knob that has a digital screen. Im not the handiest when it comes to things like that so I wouldn't be able to give you specifics. He's got is posted on his instagram account though. If you wanted to check it out you can look on there. His name is kingpin_precision_shooting. It was relatively cheap to build and I'm sure if you asked he could give you a parts list if it sounds like something you'd be interested in. I could also try and get it from him and post it on here if the concept interests you.

Thanks for the info! I checked out his page, and that is a nice trimming rig.

I have Little Crow Gunworks trimmers for my .223, 308 and .260. They are all easy to use and chuck up in my drill. As long as you use a good resizing die for shoulder consistency, these will trim for me at +/- ,001.

I have Little Crow Gunworks trimmers for my .223, 308 and .260. They are all easy to use and chuck up in my drill. As long as you use a good resizing die for shoulder consistency, these will trim for me at +/- ,001.

+1 on the LCG trimmer. I just got one for .223, and will buy more. I shouldn't have waited this long, it's a great time saver and easy to adjust.

Me too on the WFT, currently running it in .223, .300 Blackout (TONS of shavings, but it's fast enough), and .30-06. In my drill press it's smooth as glass and quite honestly kind of fun to use. I do have to chamfer afterwards but it's all good otherwise.

Me too a 6.5 creed and 300wm also. Way faster than than using the lee set up.