• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Drill press minimum rpm speed?

Dirtdigger

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 9, 2011
South Dakota
I'm starting to look at reloading and all of the components and a drill press seems to be a must.

What do you guys have yours set at rpm wise, most of the cheap/cheapish bench top presses run in the 600 minimum and that sounds fast for what it will be used for. I did find a larger floor mounted one that went to 210 rpm. Now granted i was looking at the local tool depot and they have less than stellar equipment...

What say the masses?

Re: Drill press minimum rpm speed?

LG & SM Primer pocket uniformer, Primer Crimp reamer, Flash Hole Deburrer set up for the Outside Flash Hole,Flash Hole deburrer to do Inside Flash Holes, Possum Hollow .308 Case Trimmer in a Sinclair Power Chuck, Chamfer Tool, Case Deburring Tool (Outside end) in a Sinclair Power Chuck, 30 Cal bore Brush.

Everything in that list can be used in a drill press instead of a hand held drill in a vise.

I basically cut and pasted most of that from Doc's "Reloading 101"

Now i know i could do this all by hand but why? I'm not the type to do stuff half ass and when i can make it faster why not.

The press is a want not a need but non the less back to the question at hand...

check out the RCBS trim mate case prep center. It is made for those tasks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aron</div><div class="ubbcode-body">check out the RCBS trim mate case prep center. It is made for those tasks. </div></div>

+1

Some of those tasks don't need 600 RPM

This is the one I bought. It was right at $100 new delivered to my door. I use it and a Lee 3-Jaw Chuck for trimming and polishing brass. I like it much better than a cordless drill and some day I will add a foot switch.

DrillPress.jpg

3JawChuckinpress.jpg

It would be wiser to put your money toward a case prep center IMHO. I have a bench top drill press but I don't use it because of too much RPMs. I can either change pulleys (which I can't find) or add a third pulley. It would be cheaper to purchase the case center in the long run. Just my opinion.

I have a small craftsman drill press. I use it for above reasons. It has adjustable RPM's by changing the pulleys that the belt runs on.

Digger, I'm staring at a 4 inch scar on my wrist that severed all nerves and tendons to the back of my hand 17 yrs ago due to one of those monsters and my ignorance. A drill press will be the last mf-in addition to my reloading kit.

I was an engineer for Dewalt power tools back then and the only tool I have more respect for than the drill press is a band saw.

I'm not saying don't do it but please approach with the level of caution you would afford a venomous snake.

Good advice above, no rings, no gloves, sleeves not loose at all preferable to be short sleeves and a whole lot of common sense to the fact that it doesnt care about you.