• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Droid Phones Thread

Re: Droid Phones Thread

My Droid is running Froyo (2.2) with a low voltage 1.25GHz overclocked kernel. Benchmarks just slightly slower than a Nexus One running 2.2 -- no hit to battery life (if anything it is getting better battery life than stock), zero stability issues... it's great. I love having the physical keyboard.

Big +1 for the Shooter app. Toss up for me between that and Load Base Mobile on Windows Mobile devices (each has pluses over the other that I appreciate).

If you're willing to pay a couple bucks, the game "Robo Defense" is will assist you in wasting hours of your life.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mattj</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">My Droid is running Froyo (2.2) with a low voltage 1.25GHz overclocked kernel. Benchmarks just slightly slower than a Nexus One running 2.2 -- no hit to battery life (if anything it is getting better battery life than stock), zero stability issues... it's great. I love having the physical keyboard. </span> </span>

Big +1 for the Shooter app. Toss up for me between that and Load Base Mobile on Windows Mobile devices (each has pluses over the other that I appreciate).

If you're willing to pay a couple bucks, the game "Robo Defense" is will assist you in wasting hours of your life. </div></div>

Can you enlighten me on what the hell you're talking about??? LOL

I'm getting ready to buy a Droid (don't know which one yet).

Froyo 2.2 is the next generation of the Android operating system. Most current Droid phones are still shipping with 2.1 version.

Many are slated for updates in the coming year.

An Android phone can be "rooted". That is to say that it can be hacked so to speak to be unlock it so that the user can install his own operating system on it.

This is desirable to those who have the knowledge skills as they can then stay on the cutting edge of technology and maintain more granular control of what they do with their phones.

Think of it as similar to putting an aftermarket performance chip in your new pickup.

I'll look and see if I can find the update schedules that have been recently released. They tell which phones will be OTA (Over The Air) upgraded to Froyo and which will not.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HD1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I'm getting ready to buy a Droid (don't know which one yet). </div></div>

Which carrier are you going to use? Verizon, Sprint?

Verizon...I'm due for the New every 2 yrs thing right now...and some dude told me the New Droid X would be worth waiting for or something like that.

I just want a damn shooter app mainly...the rest of the features of the phone would be gee-whiz type stuff for me.

Yes, the X is the latest, greatest offering from Verizon. It will be out on the 15th.

It's got everything you need now, and a pile of stuff you don't know anything about, but will grow to appreciate later on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, the X is the latest, greatest offering from Verizon. It will be out on the 15th.

It's got everything you need now, and a pile of stuff you don't know anything about, but will grow to appreciate later on.
</div></div>

So you think that its a solid pick over the HTC Droid Incredible?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HD1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Verizon...I'm due for the New every 2 yrs thing right now...and some dude told me the New Droid X would be worth waiting for or something like that.

I just want a damn shooter app mainly...the rest of the features of the phone would be gee-whiz type stuff for me. </div></div>

Based on what you've said I would highly recommend just getting a Motorola Droid. The Incredible is a little newer but not that much greater. The X will be slightly better but I'm more of a tech guy based on what you've said and even I have decided to keep the Droid and wait for the next generation of phones to come out. I was excited about the X & the Droid 2 but once the specs were released I saw no real reason to drop what I had to get them. Out of the bunch the Droid is the loss leader (seen them for $29 w/new activation here and there) and will do what the others do just fine PLUS the physical keyboard is nice. If you aren't quite ready to go full touch screen the physical keyboard is a must. I find that the on-screen keyboards are quite nice and I use the physical keyboard less and less but when I do use it I'm SO glad it's there. If you really don't need a physical keyboard and don't plan to tinker much get the Incredible. It has Sense UI which I hate personally because I tinker a customize a LOT but if you're just going to use the phone then it's actually a little more intuitive than the Droid UI. It's also going to be discounted with the newer phones coming out so it's another nice option and I would suggest it possibly the most for you based on what you've said if you don't mind spending a little more for things that might benefit your and you don't need a physical keyboard.

As to the new X that's out I personally would stay away for what you've said. It has a substantially larger display (the Droid is already HUGE compared to an iPhone for instance) and slightly better resolution and these equal not only shorter battery life but a larger phone to carry around. The Droid/Incredible is already about on the edge of how large I like my mobile device to be and I'm a techie kind of guy so if I'm already at the limit the casual user will just think it's a tank of a phone.

Ultimately all devices run the same OS and for the most part provide the same performance as far as speed goes. All have user expandable memory/storage via MicroSD cards as well as access the same Market for apps so in the end it's just a box to put all that in. Choose your form factor and run with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HD1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
So you think that its a solid pick over the HTC Droid Incredible? </div></div>

Let me put it this way. I just got an Incredible, and I'm wishing I had waited for the X.
The pricing on the new every two is going to be close if not identical, so why not get the more advanced device?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HD1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
So you think that its a solid pick over the HTC Droid Incredible? </div></div>

Let me put it this way. I just got an Incredible, and I'm wishing I had waited for the X.
The pricing on the new every two is going to be close if not identical, so why not get the more advanced device? </div></div>

The X is really not that much more advanced to what you have currently. I was bummed at first when the new Incredible came out but as soon as I saw that mine rooted running the same clock speed outperformed the Incredible in every category I quickly got over it. To me the new devices coming out aren't really that much better and are taking smaller steps than say the Droid did over the G1. I'll wait until something takes a larger step before I unload my still-current Droid.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: crumpmd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hate to ask, but here goes.

What is the best Droid phone to get assuming my carrier has anything I want.
My crackberry is going soon. </div></div>

Definitely the Droid X. I have the Droid and it's fantastic. The X looks even better. Get it, and you won't be disappointed. It also comes with Android 2.2, so unlike those iPhone users, you can have Flash web browsing.

Bigger screen
Higher resolution
Noise canceling mic system
Separate video mic
HDMI out
More battery

Get the X
According to this, same price.

iphone4_droidx_incredible_evo4g_nexusone.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spazz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: crumpmd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hate to ask, but here goes.

Definitely the Droid X. I have the Droid and it's fantastic. The X looks even better. Get it, and you won't be disappointed. <span style="font-weight: bold">It also comes with Android 2.2, so unlike those iPhone users, you can have Flash web browsing.</span> </div></div>

Not yet it doesn't.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bigger screen <span style="color: #FF6666">Requires more battery to run it</span>
Higher resolution <span style="color: #FF6666">See previous. While both are nice, not sure he needs/wants it. Current Droid devices already have WAY better displays than most competing devices</span>
Noise canceling mic system <span style="color: #FF6666">I don't run into too much problem as the current noise canceling system works just fine.</span>
Separate video mic <span style="color: #FF6666">Why?</span>
HDMI out <span style="color: #FF6666">Nice feature if it also sent audio out over HDMI</span>
More battery <span style="color: #FF6666">Which will be more than offset with the larger display with higher resolution. Initial reports have battery life noticeably shorter than Incredible/Droid</span>

Get the X <span style="color: #FF6666">The newest and 'greatest' isn't always the case and certainly isn't for every user. Did you read what the guy said he actually needs or just telling him to get the newest?</span>

According to this, same price.<span style="color: #FF6666">I don't know how accurate this is because it uses MAP pricing. I've seen the Droid for $29 even though MAP on VZW's website is $149. No way in heck will the Incredible be the same price as the X when it's available.</span></div></div>

Jer,
I am really glad you're happy with your current phone.
I'm tickled shitless with mine as well.

I'm not interested in a Savage v Remington type of discussion about it, even though Savage is clearly better.

All I'm doing is laying the facts out there, along with my somewhat informed opinions.

You go ahead and do the same and the fellow who asked the question is the true winner.

Ok, well thank you both for the info. All I really need to be able to do is jump on the net and check my hotmail and bank account, maybe do a lil surfing. Can any of those fones do the 3G and Wifi thing?

And I just want to be able to have a reliable and strong fone for a very Good Ballistics Application. I've heard about Shooter and Knights Bulletflight, but don't really know which one is better.

As far as having the latest and greatest and newest version, normally I would want that if it was a complete step in the right direction.

Battery life is probably one of my highest priorities, along with durability/robustness.

I don't really need cool guy points right now.

Right now, Online for me, the Droid by Motorola is $50, while the Droid Incredible is $100. I was also told that on July 15th, the Droid X would be $100 for me also.

Either way Jer and Tucker, no matter which one I get, would you guys help me unlock it/hot rod it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HD1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok, well thank you both for the info. All I really need to be able to do is jump on the net and check my hotmail and bank account, maybe do a lil surfing. Can any of those fones do the 3G and Wifi thing?</div></div>

Any of them can do that easily.
Do you have a preference regarding physical keyboards vs on-screen keyboards?
For example, the Droid comes with a slide out physical keyboard, while the Incredible and X do not. Only a virtual keyboard on those.

For me, it's not a problem, and I like the reduced weight and thinner profile.

As far as rooting the phone and overclocking it goes, that's something I would recommend you stay away from until you've learned more about it.
I am perfectly content with my Incredible in the original configuration... and still under warranty.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gSIWt9f2b20"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gSIWt9f2b20" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HD1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok, well thank you both for the info. All I really need to be able to do is jump on the net and check my hotmail and bank account, maybe do a lil surfing. Can any of those fones do the 3G and Wifi thing?</div></div>

For example, the Droid comes with a slide out physical keyboard, while the Incredible and X do not. Only a virtual keyboard on those.

As far as rooting the phone and overclocking it goes, that's something I would recommend you stay away from until you've learned more about it.
I am perfectly content with my Incredible in the original configuration... and still under warranty.

</div></div>

Actually my sister and girlfriend both have Iphones and I freakin' hate the virtual keyboard lol! I dunno if I'm fat-fingering the keys or what but i don't like it.

What's a good shooter app for the Droid?

I'm thinkin I'm gonna wind up going with the Original Motorola Droid...just don't wanna have buyers remorse down the road and wonder why I didn't get the newest version for $50 more.

The ballistics app of choice for the Android platform is "Shooter".
It was written by a member of this site, an is a full featured program....and then some.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rafael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The ballistics app of choice for the Android platform is "Shooter".
It was written by a member of this site, an is a full featured program....and then some. </div></div>

awesome thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spazz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: crumpmd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hate to ask, but here goes.

Definitely the Droid X. I have the Droid and it's fantastic. The X looks even better. Get it, and you won't be disappointed. <span style="font-weight: bold">It also comes with Android 2.2, so unlike those iPhone users, you can have Flash web browsing.</span> </div></div>

Not yet it doesn't. </div></div>

Well... It should, damn it. Thanks for the correction, Jer. I seem to have been misinformed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HD1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HD1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok, well thank you both for the info. All I really need to be able to do is jump on the net and check my hotmail and bank account, maybe do a lil surfing. Can any of those fones do the 3G and Wifi thing?</div></div>

</div></div>

Actually my sister and girlfriend both have Iphones and I freakin' hate the virtual keyboard lol! I dunno if I'm fat-fingering the keys or what but i don't like it.

What's a good shooter app for the Droid?

I'm thinkin I'm gonna wind up going with the Original Motorola Droid...just don't wanna have buyers remorse down the road and wonder why I didn't get the newest version for $50 more. </div></div>

It's more than a $50 difference. Shop around because the Incredible will be closer to that $199 MAP price since it's relatively new but since the Droid has been out since Nov and isn't being marketed as much. Like I said earlier, I saw them w/new activation for $29 at one point and I'm betting if you shopped around you could at least get one for sub $50 which is a screaming deal. I see Cartoys has them at $99 on their website and I'm sure if you looked harder you would find it cheaper. Having had mine since Nov I would gladly pay $150 even today given what I know about all the devices available right now.

Also, remember that the Droid X screen is larger than most.
It should make the virtual keyboard better than on other devices......for those of us with fat fingers.

The keys on the original Moto Droid are pretty small anyway, small enough that I don't think I will regret upgrading to the X.

I have quite large hands/fingers and have never had a problem with the virtual keyboards on Droid phones. The software does a good job of pin pointing the center of your touch so it knows which key/link you meant even if you covered a few. I can type like a maniac and rarely have errors and if I do it's my spelling issue and the predictive text picks it up just fine. I wouldn't let the keyboard size dictate which phone I buy is what I'm getting at. Let's not forget the Droid has a physical keyboard if you're super picky about keyboards and NO touchscreen keyboard will ever supersede a tactile keyboard.

Swype.....
Best keyboard, period.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pTooBnKAdSw"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pTooBnKAdSw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I disagree with that Swype statement too. I fell for all the Swype hype back at the end of last year and loaded a test version on my Droid and at first I thought it was faster but quickly realized it really wasn't. The primary drawback was the fact that you MUST complete each and every word. Sure it's slightly faster than picking up your finger with each letter but in the end the stock keyboard proved to be faster because as you type the actual, properly spelled word begins to populate in a box just above the keyboard. I've found that in most words you don't even need to type half the word before the correctly spelled word you want appears. You click that and it inserts it and auto-spaces and you are off and running on the next word already. There's also the fact that you can't stop mid-word and then resume which I find I do a fair amount and it's frustrating when you need to look away mid-word for some reason of it you get a call or something like that. In the real world tests I did the standard keyboard was quicker, more stable and more forgiving than the Swype keyboard. Fun for a bit but I've been back on the stock keyboard for half a year now and never looked back or missed Swype for a second. Try it out but before you decide for sure give it a thorough testing to get used to it and get efficient then go back to the stock one for an extended period and don't just assume it's better.

I handled a mock up of the Droid at a VZW store this afternoon. IMO not too big. Impressed how thin it was. I suspect with that sized screen the Virtual Keyboard will be pretty easy to use.

Good point Dennis.
Keys on my Incredible's Swype keyboard are slightly larger than those on my wife's Droid physical keyboard.
Lots of user tweaks on Swype. Auto word complete, speed v accuracy, etc.

Unrevoked3 offers painless rooting of Droid Incredible.

http://unrevoked.com/#inc

The Droid Incredible was a tough nut to crack, but cracked it was, though the method for rooting was a bit, shall we say, difficult. But the Unrevoked team has updated its one-click method for the Dinc, and it's a new day in America, folks. Fear not, and get your root on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Unrevoked3 offers painless rooting of Droid Incredible.

http://unrevoked.com/#inc

The Droid Incredible was a tough nut to crack, but cracked it was, though the method for rooting was a bit, shall we say, difficult. But the Unrevoked team has updated its one-click method for the Dinc, and it's a new day in America, folks. Fear not, and get your root on. </div></div>

could you explain lol?

Before this, rooting a Droid Incredible phone was a tricky process to say the least.

Now, it's simply a matter of installing a Windows device driver and running a program. The drivers are needed if you run MAC or Linux.

Rooting allows the user to load custom ROM's and overclok the phone for better performance and flexibility.

This software also allows you to create a complete backup of your phone. Everything on it.

Here is how you had to do it prior to the above software being released.

Again... this is the OLD way.
The new way is much easier.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VVHj6J2uCKo"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VVHj6J2uCKo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Here is something I just did after rooting my Incredible.

Wifi tethering (using your phone as a wifi hotspot) will be available on the upcoming update for the Incredible from Verizon. But Verizon will charge you an additional $20/month for the service.

By rooting my phone, and with the original Verizon software + a handy app and a file stolen from the EVO, I can now use my phone as a 3G wifi hotspot with no incurred fees from Verizon.

I simply followed the instructions here.
http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/wiki/Setup_HTC_Desire_Incredible

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is something I just did after rooting my Incredible.

Wifi tethering (using your phone as a wifi hotspot) will be available on the upcoming update for the Incredible from Verizon. But Verizon will charge you an additional $20/month for the service.

By rooting my phone, and with the original Verizon software + a handy app and a file stolen from the EVO, I can now use my phone as a 3G wifi hotspot with no incurred fees from Verizon.

I simply followed the instructions here.
http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/wiki/Setup_HTC_Desire_Incredible </div></div>

Sick! Can this be done to the Droid X??? Can very close to buying one

so maybe i should go with the incredible or the old droid lol

It really depends on your needs, wants, and desires.
If you want the freedom to do the things that rooting allows, then the X is not your phone.

I suspect someone will either figure a way around the lock on the X or Verizon will bow to pressure (and possible legal challenges) and unlock it.

The Incredible is very nice, as is the Droid.
See previous discussions here for the differences between them.

Tucker I got my phone activated and went to app store. I see the Ranger Recital, but I don't see the the pay version Shooter. How do I get that version?

Tucker went to the site you listed. Got a google check account so they could bill. Done the sync thing and when you click to install it says there are no matches in the android market for this search. pname;net.kndy.shooterfull Hell I think It even charge me 9.99

A tip for those using the News & Weather widget:
go into Settings, News settings, Select news topics.
Click on Custom Topic, and add the term "Second Ammendment".....or any other term. "Android" yields some interesting articles as well, as does the term "Sniper".

This creates a new tab in the news widget that will display stories pertaining to the topic.
It works very well.

From the home screen, press the menu button, press "settings", scroll down and press "About phone". Look at the Firmware version number. This must be at least 1.6.

Menu, settings, about phone.......then you should see an item called "System updates".
Click on that and see if there are any.

If not....you will have to await an update.