• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Droid Phones Thread

Re: Droid Phones Thread

I received an offer for early upgrade Saturday and called the local Verizon store. I'm supposed to receive a call when they get Droid X and Droid Incredible phones in so I can compare them and see which I prefer.

Open to those with experience with either/both on their opinion of which might be a better option. I primarily use my blackberry for calls, txt, email and internet. My biggest complaint with the Blackberry is the slow internet. Verizon told me that the X was going to use a new mail server which will deliver mail instantly rather than every 15 minutes but that isn't terribly important to me, I don't deal with time critical email.

TIA

I have the Incredible and I like it just fine.
The X is going to be a bit larger, and it has HDMI output and a forward facing camera for video conferencing.

Both are slated to get the new Froyo (Android 2.2) operating system soon.

Earlier in the thread, there was a chart posted which shows the features of each, head to head.

I own a Motorola Droid and got to play with the Droid X yesterday in the store...my girl is buying one.

I like the X and will likely get one when I renew my contract in November....unless something better comes along. The camera is pretty good, a nice step up from the one on the Droid. I like the large display and the feel of it in my hand. The bump on the back side actually makes it more comfortable to hold.

I have no experience with the Incredible.

Thanks guys. I'm thinking size may end up being the determining factor as either will do what I want. After dragging around a Blackberry for the past several years I'm ready for something a bit more compact.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rafael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I own a Motorola Droid and got to play with the Droid X yesterday in the store...my girl is buying one.

I like the X and will likely get one when I renew my contract in November....unless something better comes along. The camera is pretty good, a nice step up from the one on the Droid. I like the large display and the feel of it in my hand. The bump on the back side actually makes it more comfortable to hold.

I have no experience with the Incredible. </div></div>

Motorola and Samsung is suppose to have a 2GHz phone out close to the end of the year or beginning of the year. My contract ends in Nov too. I am thinking I might wait for them to come out. I absolutely hate my iPhone.

The size of the Droid X is a bit misleading. It looks like a brick but fits well in a pocket due to its slim profile. It <span style="text-decoration: line-through">is</span> feels very light weight. Lighter than a Black Berry Tour.

I see that the Droid X has "anti-glare" screen protectors available for purchase. Does anyone know if this helps in sunlight? This may be another factor to consider.
These things can get damn hard to see in bright light.

338Bloodhound, what phone do you have? I can't wait for Froyo on my Moto Droid! Hopefully in the next week or so I'll have it.

I did a manual install of Froyo. It's a shame that Verizon neutered the internet hot spot and USB tethering. USB tethering is in the release OTA release of Froyo, but all it does is send you to a Verizon page wanting you to pay for the service.

EVO 4G is downloading FROYO as I type this.....I'll let yal know how it goes!

I got the LG Ally because I really liked the slide out qwerty key pad. It does everything I need and then some. I'm just waiting to find a sound way to tether my laptop to it. It has only been out for a month so I think I will wait until a definitive process is revealed to do it.

Shank, pdanet in the marketplace works great for USB tethering.

I am running an Ally right now. Love the ergonomics (much better than the Droid) but am most likely going to exchange it for a Droid 2 when it comes out. It does not look like they are going to upgrade the Ally to 2.2, which sucks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I stand corrected, appearently it just came down that Allys will be getting 2.2. </div></div>

That's what I thought. I wouldn't have bought it if they weren't. You have me worried. LOL.

I think it's absolute crap that Verizon nixed the tethering capabilities of Froyo for the Droids. They say there's no support and no reliable way to do a PC tether, yet they have no issues with letting you pay them $15 monthly for a measly 5gb of internet usage through Verizon's phone tethering. Wife downloaded Easytether full version (we've been using the lite) for $10 last night. Those greedy bastards at Verizon won't be gypping us out of tethering. We have dial up at home with no way to get cable or DSL, and I refuse to pay $80 per month for unreliable satellite internet. Tucker, thanks for the link. I'm downloading the file as we speak.

http://www.unstableapps.com/

Google pulled this app from the Market, but you can still get it from the developer's website.

Easy one-click rooting for Droid and a few other phones running Froyo 2.2.

I had it installed and setup free wifi thethering on my wife's phone in a matter of a few minutes.

HTC Evo takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-evo-4g/27573-bicycles-gates-evo.html

4867465147_6f9f4eb7ee.jpg

4868080136_ef9083c27f.jpg

ouch, I'd hate to see that happen to my evo. But I'd still be able to call the paramedics at least.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">General Dynamics GD300 runs on Android.
I want one!

PDF via Google Docs

thumb_550_generaldynamicspb-00.jpg
</div></div>

That thing is cool but it's slower and about 8x the size of the HTC Aria, has less memory and the Aria is one of the slowest droid phones out
smile.gif

Seems to me you could put together a decent case and call it good.

When did anyone ever tell the truth about anything sex-related?
Even priests lie on that one.
grin.gif

Expecting delivery on a Droid X on Aug 27th (or thereabouts). I was able to check one out yesterday and they're pretty large but I liked the features so decided on the X rather than the Incredible.

Phylodog,
The X is a nice choice. As long as the size isn't an issue, I think you'll love it.

Go back through links posted in this thread for handy apps, rooting information, etc.

Enjoy your new phone!

My girl ordered her Droid-X on August 1st and just received it yesterday......almost 2 weeks before they promised it.

I like it better than my original Droid. Faster, bigger screen, the car dock has integral power rather than the mount and separate cord arrangement I have.

Strange thing is the control widgets from Motorola do not include a brightness widget......you have to load the Android "power widget" to get that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rafael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My girl ordered her Droid-X on August 1st and just received it yesterday......almost 2 weeks before they promised it.
</div></div>

Had a guy on my team show up at training today with a similar story. I'm hoping mine might show up earlier than promised but after living with myself for 38 years I'm not holding my breath lol.

Well, at least it's not a BSOD.
smirk.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COURAGEWOLF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
12816429739CLqa6tm5b_1_1_l.jpg
</div></div>

Do you guys use your Droid to store & play music? My current BB allows me to sync my iTunes library onto the BB, is there anything like this for the Droids?

Since Droid is open-source software, you really should begin to migrate away from the ridiculous constraints of itunes.

However, there are some very smart people out there, and some of them believe that if you have already bought a song for one device, that it's now YOUR song.

http://www.doubletwist.com/dt/Home/Index.dt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phylodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rafael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My girl ordered her Droid-X on August 1st and just received it yesterday......almost 2 weeks before they promised it.
</div></div>

Had a guy on my team show up at training today with a similar story. I'm hoping mine might show up earlier than promised but after living with myself for 38 years I'm not holding my breath lol. </div></div>
Yeah, I wouldn't either....but I figured it would be encouraging to hear that others are getting them before promised.

I hope you like it as much as I did.....makes me want to steal her phone and giver her mine.
If another large-screen choice does not arrive on the scene by mid-November...I think the X will be my 2 year upgrade. (Got my Droid outside of the 2-year contract that ends in Nov.)

A couple of apps worth a look. Both are now free.

Google Voice Action
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gGbYVvU0Z5s"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gGbYVvU0Z5s" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Vlingo - Was $10 before Google released theirs for free.
Now it's free too.
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/t7cNlIeQNl8"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/t7cNlIeQNl8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I thought some of you may be interested in this:

Touchdown, the program I use to access Exchange services on my phone, does not work with Android 2.2.
I had to go back to 2.1 to get it working.

Also, Droid-X native Exchange support does not work.
Because of this, Motorola is handing out free license keys for Touchdown, only to Droid-X users.

It sounds like Droid-X users will not not have Exchange support in any way once they get the 2.2 upgrade......unless the problem is fixed.

I hope Google takes care of this soon. Until I hear of a fix I will not be loading 2.2.

Touchdown works fine on 2.2 (market version), and native exchange works on 2.2 as well (minus some security policies). This is with the Nexus One and native 2.2... Maybe moto neutered their 2.2 somehow.

-pd

I'm not sure it is included on the phones, but it is available to download from the app market. It is not supported on the 2.1 OS, so it wont work on the Droid X yet. It does work on 2.2 OS, and is GTG for some Droid systems.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Incase anybody is wondering...Droid 2 kicks much ass.

That is all. </div></div>

I was more interested in the X, for its large screen and superior camera. Now that I see more info on the Droid 2 it is drawing interest. More horsepower is a plus. How is the keyboard?

I hated the tiny flat keys on the original.

Also, I would like to compare one of them to the old one.
Often in the past I have seen phone models replaced with less sturdy models because the first one was lasting well past the 2-year planned life. The Casio GZOne Type "S" is a great example......best rugged phone I ever owned....it was replaced with a similar model that falls apart rather easily. I know this becuase I have 7 of them in use in the field. POS compared to the S.

Flash? Yes

The keyboard rocks. That is the reason I did not get the Droid 1. This one works great, HUGE difference.

I liked the X, but I need the physical keyboard more than 8 megapixels. (No regrets, so far).