• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Droid Phones Thread

Re: Droid Phones Thread

^^^What does all that Speed and Power translate into, Tucker?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HD1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">^^^What does all that Speed and Power translate into, Tucker? </div></div>

A lag-free device that will power through screens as fast as you can swipe them. I've been sitting at 1.25ghz for about half a year or so now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
A lag-free device that will power through screens as fast as you can swipe them. I've been sitting at 1.25ghz for about half a year or so now. </div></div>

What he said.
It's like a-whole-nother device when you overclock the Droid.

I flashed an overclocked kernel to my Incredible and bumped it up a bit.
Still not able to top my wife's original Droid though.

aU2OJ.jpg

Keep in mind that it's not just CPU speed that affects these numbers. Quadrant does a very good job of compiling all areas of what makes a phone work and that's the number you see. It's not only CPU but also GPU and the Droid 1 phones have one of the best GPU's on the market... even by today's standards with all these newer devices already out.

Thought I'd pass this on to you Droid guys. Picked up my first droid (a Vibrant) today and so far love it. My T mobil guy has been involved in setting this up apparantly and told me about it. So here is some TX BBQ to go with those apps
smile.gif

http://bigtxbbq.com/

Rugged Motorola, the "Defy".
It seems that Motorola has come up with a fairly full-featured ruggedized Android device...as opposed to the farly weak offering in the i1 that came out earlier this year.

http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/XW-EN/...ROLA-DEFY-XW-EN

Nice pics in this second link show a locking battery cover:
http://androidandme.com/2010/09/phones/t...q4-launch-date/

Dustproof, scratch resistant, submersible to 1-meter.... while retaining the 854x480 display of the high end Droids......and adding B/G/N networking.

I will be watching this one.

I have the X but I am totally lost when it comes to all the enhancements and boosts to the software. There should be a Droid for dummies book.
I would love to get the full potential from this thing.

To both posts above:

The X is an excellent phone, as is.

Customizing your phone to get the most out of it is akin to blueprinting the action or doing a nice bedding job on an already fine rifle.

It's not necessary, especially if you're already happy with the results you're getting.

Not every phone has to be rooted or overclocked. Not every rifle has to be customized.

If it' something that interests you, as it does me, then there are plenty of sites out there to lead you in that direction.

If not, you still have an awesome Sendero of a phone. Just enjoy it!

Got the software update for the Incredible today. It really smooths out the graphics. Phone can be rotated and the screen moves with it so you aren't stuck flipping it to one side. Probably a few other small things but I haven't played enough with it yet. Came with a few new apps too. The flashlight app is really what I especially liked. Variable brightness and uses the LED's. FAWKIN BRIGHT

Also who here uses Tapatalk? I use it a lot now. It could use a little tweaking IMO but it more than makes up for not having to pinch and zoom and wait for useless stuff to load

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DocHoliday13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got the software update for the Incredible today. It really smooths out the graphics. Phone can be rotated and the screen moves with it so you aren't stuck flipping it to one side. Probably a few other small things but I haven't played enough with it yet. Came with a few new apps too. The flashlight app is really what I especially liked. Variable brightness and uses the LED's. FAWKIN BRIGHT

Also who here uses Tapatalk? I use it a lot now. It could use a little tweaking IMO but it more than makes up for not having to pinch and zoom and wait for useless stuff to load </div></div>

Mine got the update to 22 (Froyo) today too. Haven't got a chance to look for what changed yet.

After rooting my Droid and applying the kernel Tucker was talking about, my phone is running amazingly fast! This thing now rocks, and I'm definitely not looking back. Thanks again!

1100KernelFRG10B.jpg

Nice job, Spazz!

BTW, I followed that link in your signature and LOL'd.
A lot of truth to that stuff.

Finally got my droid x in yesterday, I'm not gonna miss my POS blackberry storm at all!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JL1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Finally got my droid x in yesterday, I'm not gonna miss my POS blackberry storm at all! </div></div>

No you won't. I upgraded from the Storm to the Tour after killing two Storm's within a two month period. I've only had my Droid X for a couple of weeks and I can't imagine going back to a Blackberry now. Night and day difference in capabilities.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phylodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JL1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Finally got my droid x in yesterday, I'm not gonna miss my POS blackberry storm at all! </div></div>

No you won't. I upgraded from the Storm to the Tour after killing two Storm's within a two month period. I've only had my Droid X for a couple of weeks and I can't imagine going back to a Blackberry now. Night and day difference in capabilities. </div></div>

lol, my g/f and I have both been through several storms too.

Yep, it's like night and day and I'll never go back.

I was waiting for reviews of the x to come out b/c I didn't want to make the same mistake as I did w/ the storm. Glad I did b/c verizon sent me an offer to renew my contract and upgrade to the x for $99, and it came in 2 weeks before it was supposed to.

Just bought a frickin' Droid Incredible tonite woot woot!!!

This thing is Uber-Badass!

Hey how are all you guys doing that speed test thingy?

And the sales guy at the Verizon store said i have 2.2!

I wish you guys would stop showing how fast your phones are running cause I'm not about to root my X and you're making me feel inferior.

Ok I dl'd the app n ran the test...now how do I post it on here???

I got a droid2 last week and I love it. I just noticed this thread tonight and wish I seen it sooner.

I'll wait till my first bill comes in befor I start buying apps.

the main reason for getting a new phone is my wife is 8 months pregnat and when the blessed moment comes, I want to make sure she can get ahold of me right away. BTW, my wife has a samsun reality, and shes in love with it too.

ROBIE, there are tons of free apps on the Market. I've only purchased 3 apps since I got my phone in March, and those three pertained to rooting and were purchased in the last week. I really haven't seen a need to buy anything from the Market yet.

I have a Droid 1 and sometimes at night it is using tons of data,anyone else had this happen? It also will have nearly every app up and running on its own occasionally,anyone know what could cause these issues?

WOMBAT,
Many applications use different functions behind the scenes. Mail apps check for new messages, Social Networking apps check for updates, etc.
Some use GPS which can be actively trying to update.

Without knowing which applications specifically you're referring to, it's impossible to pinpoint any problems, or even tell if there actually is a problem.

Some say that using a task manager like Advanced App Killer keeps usage low and battery life high.
Others argue that such apps are going against the way the phone is designed to function.

Do you have Advanced Task Killer? Have you tried it?
If you kill off all of the active apps and let the phone set, you should see apps restart themselves. Those are apps that have been designed to run constantly behind the scenes.

When I started typing this reply I killed off all of my apps with ATK.
Just now, I opened it again to see what was running again.

gCxlO.png

As you can see, several applications have restarted themselves. That's because I have them doing things in that they are supposed to do in the background.

Thanks tucker,I have another question. Am I right in assuming that once a phone has been rooted you can remove the apps that come bundled onto the phone?

WOMBAT,
Yes. City Guide, Facebook, etc. can all be removed or turned off in one way or another.

dbatemen,
Yes, give it some time.
Blackberry users have the most trouble.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Blackberry users have the most trouble. </div></div>

To say the least my wife just got a Driod and I have been a BB guy for years now. I am lost with it hence I have been surfing this post. Great things here now I just need to get the phone from her for more then 5 min
laugh.gif

You should see me trying to Swype type an address into my TomTom.
blush.gif

Habits form easily and break hard.

Pro tip: I recommend against NOT using an app killer. Android was designed to put applications/programs into suspension when not being displayed. Anything you see 'running' in the background isn't actually running the way you're thinking about it and it's not actually taking any system resources or using any battery. If you think of your Android based device in terms like you would a Windows based device it seems like it's hogging system resources and killing battery but the simple fact is that it's not. In fact, you use more battery killing apps that will have to re-launch in the background anyway. Better to just let thing go the way they were designed and not try to buck the system as you will ultimately be causing more battery drain than w/o doing anything. App killers are the single biggest misunderstood item on Android phones. Completely unnecessary and usually counterproductive to the reason people install them in the first place.

then when does it show free'd system memory upon killing certain apps?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c_bass16</div><div class="ubbcode-body">then when does it show free'd system memory upon killing certain apps? </div></div>

An app in memory isn't the same as a process running on a PC. It's more like a cache is on a PC on your browser. So when you load a website it caches it so if you return to that page it loads much faster. When you close the browser the page doesn't continue to run. Same with Android OS. An app in memory doesn't mean it's running currently.

It's a bit technical, but this video explains how the Droid OS handles processes.
And Jer is right. In most cases, it costs more to kill and restart the app than it does to simply leave it a natural dormant state.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fL6gSd4ugSI"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fL6gSd4ugSI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And Jer is right.</div></div>

Well duh!
cool.gif

HTC Unveils New Goodies!

http://www.androidcentral.com/htcsensecom-brings-cloud-backup-and-more-android

In addition to the announcement of the HTC Desire HD and Desire Z and the London event today, HTC managed unveiled a new cloud-based service for HTC Sense phones that will feature some cool options:

* A locate feature that allows you to remotely ring your phone, even if it is set to vibrate
* Remote lock and wipe if you have your phone stolen or lost
* Backups for contacts, call history, data, customizations, and even text messages
* Sharing and editing for multimedia content (read: pictures and video shot on your phone)
* Send messages from your computer to the lock screen of your phone

One would assume HTCSense.com would launch alongside the Desire HD and Desire Z, but HTC gave no firm date or word on if existing Sense phones would see an update to let them access these features. I am sure many Droid Incredible, Evo 4G, Aria, Desire, and Wildfire owners out there would love to have access to all of that cloud-based goodness, so we will keep our eyes peeled for any news on that front.

How well do Droids function internationally? I know that iPhones have SIM chips that can be switched out when I'm abroad, but I'm on a Verizon contract right now and want to get a smart phone with GPS capability. Can the Droid do this?

GPS will work anywhere. It's based on satellite signals, not cellular networks.

Where and how the phone works abroad depends on a couple of factors.

1. Your carrier. For example, Verizon is CDMA. It works fine in certain countries, but not so much in others.

2.Your equipment. For the broadest coverage overseas you'll probably want a GSM capable device, like the new HTC Desire.

Our world is shrinking every day.
I'd expect global phones to commonplace in 5-10 years.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZLBubba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How well do Droids function internationally? I know that iPhones have SIM chips that can be switched out when I'm abroad, but I'm on a Verizon contract right now and want to get a smart phone with GPS capability. Can the Droid do this? </div></div>

I assume you mean Android based phones, right? The Droid is a phone made by Motorola that uses an Android based OS and functions on CDMA for Verizon's network. If what you want is a world phone then what you will want is a phone that uses GSM as opposed to CDMA. Motorola makes an identical version of the Droid (CDMA) which is the Milestone and is GSM based instead. There are other phones as well but just to clear a few things up about what people are calling 'Droids' these days since it confuses topics as well as what it means to be a world phone.

Bottom line is if you need to travel outside the US you need a GSM phone. The simple fact of the matter that the best manufacturer of GSM phones in the world is Nokia. I have always liked the Nokia phones that I've tested and the E71 is a fantastic option for world travel.

Just got a droid 2. droid x looked a bit big and incrediable didn't have the keyboard. Since I am new this technology I thought I better have the real keyboard. I like the thing, easy to figure out the basics. Just need to have a better signal out here in the sticks. Also ordered a signal booster to help me with that one.

One question. I was told that I had to pay for the wifi hotspot capabilities. It came with one on it and seems to work great. I don't see were it is not free or will expire. Is it free? I need it for my business to connect laptop to internet from my truck.