• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Droid "Shooter" ballistic program

Re: Droid "Shooter" ballistic program

I tried to download from the link and it says it is not available. Did something happen to this program?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CnC1018</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I tried to download from the link and it says it is not available. Did something happen to this program? </div></div>

It's in the market, search for ballistics and you should find it. But you have to have Android 1.6 or higher to see / download it. If you have 1.6 and your still having issues email the author he responds almost immediately.

I'm about to get the Sprint EVO as soon as they are in stock, so I'll have to see how it works on that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: W54/XM-388</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm about to get the Sprint EVO as soon as they are in stock, so I'll have to see how it works on that. </div></div>

I just put it on my Evo. Works as advertised so far. Haven't taken it to the range yet though.

I pretty much bought the Evo for this program
grin.gif

I have two questions...

1. How do you edit and or delete a rifle or load profile from the program?

2. When you synch to the web, where is your data going, and can it be accessed through a desktop browser?

Belay that for question #1... I just read all of page one and got the question answered about edit/delete. But I am still curious about what happens to the data when you synch, and is it accessible from a desktop?

Great app Shawn. I bought the full version and I'm running it on an HTC Incredible running Droid 2.0.

See the developers web page for more info:
http://sean.kndy.net/shooter/
He has a Q&A section at the bottom of the page.

<span style="font-weight: bold">The web sync is there to save you some work if you lose or damage the phone, not as a method of entering/altering/sharing data.</span> It is not mandatory and is only done if you want it. It is done online because that is truly safer than storing it anywhere else. If you lose the phone you lose the memory card. If you damage the phone, it is possible you will damage the memory card.
If you use the backup and lose or damage the phone you can restore the data when you get a new phone.

Once you have profiles set up, they are unique to your weapon.....and would not be useful for another weapon.....at least not to the level of precision this program is capable of.

It does not take long to re-enter data for a weapon/load. If we are wise...we will have this data written down somewhere.....and make note of changes as we refine our data.
I think Sean's goal for this backup was to make it easier for a user with a large number of weapon and load profiles to recover the data (saving some typing) if the phone is lost or damaged. I think he succeeded here.

I do not speak for the author, but I believe I have enough understanding to speak on these subjects as a fellow user.

I just received a update for the droid Shooter Program.
I tried to pull up Seans website but it seems down. I was going to look to see what the update included or changed.

At first glance, the +/- on the hud solutions screens have been changed to a U or D for elevation & L or R for windage. I like this better....

Anybody got the skinny on the rest or a link to Sean/shooter thats working?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rafael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is fine, but I can tell you from my discussions with Sean that it was not his desire to provide a quick go-to for rough data.
One can find rough ballistics data from most of the ammo manufacturers on-line....... if that is the limit of ones goals.
Most manufacturers also give velocity data.

We are lucky to have the collection of BC data Sean gave us.
I am glad he left the velocities to us.
laugh.gif
</div></div>

Works as advertised I love this app.

I think Horus PDA app gathers the same information as shooter however you have to true the projected impact to the actual impact.. im new so i dont understand how or why that is

Anybody used the app " range card ". It's compatable with shooter. Looks like you use google earth to locate the distance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aolson81</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think Horus PDA app gathers the same information as shooter however you have to true the projected impact to the actual impact.. im new so i dont understand how or why that is </div></div>

u can do this with any app... its not hard..

I think I figured it out. Make a duplicate load profile, then tweek your MV to get the predicted impact to match actual. Easy as that.

Not sure where to go with this anyone know if 'nightforce ballistic softwear' will run on Win 7 .Trying to run on new puter and isnt working

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rc886</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not sure where to go with this anyone know if 'nightforce ballistic softwear' will run on Win 7 .Trying to run on new puter and isnt working </div></div>

You might need to run it in administrator mode, depending on your settings. You should be able to right mouse click on the executable and select "Run as Administrator".

I been using the Shooter program for several months now and have taken it out to 675 yards. With the right inputs its dead on accurate. I just bought the Knights app the otherday and so far they seem to match.

LOVE this program! I just bought a new phone yesterday and about the only reason I didn't switch to an iPhone was Shooter!
Now I just need to get a Kestrel with BT and I'll be set!

I am glad I stumbled on this thread. I just got the app. I hope to test it out against my proven drop chart. I need an excuse for some recoil therapy anyway.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mustafa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LOVE this program! I just bought a new phone yesterday and about the only reason I didn't switch to an iPhone was Shooter!
Now I just need to get a Kestrel with BT and I'll be set! </div></div>

Shooter is available for the iPhone. I'm not sure if it's totally the same but it is there now.

Droids are great and way more customizable anyway.

As others have stated, this program is slick.

I have used it, and it is so easy and quick that I can very easily get basic dope for any new shooter out for the first time and get them hits on steel at 450yds plus.

The only thing that would be a tremendous improvement would be the ability to compare loads across rifle profiles. This option is very easy when comparing loads for the same rifle, but would be nice to compare loads between rifles. I can do this now by imputing those loads in a generic profile, just one tweak away from making the app even better.

Also, the ability to directly enter a B.C. into a bullet profile would also be much easier than manually entering caliber, weight, and length.

I downloaded it and tried it last year for our dept's two rifles. And it's been interesting.

Very usable, great interface, etc. We borrowed a chrono to get exact velocity data.

What I found was that with the TRG I shoot, I could not get it to quite match up with range results. I could work the velocity numbers, ultimately, to get it to match actual results out to 800. But it took some tinkering.

My partner shoots a Sig SSG. And the Shooter program was utterly uncanny on that rifle to 800. Enter the data, program the results into the scope and it was dead nuts on target every time.

Like any tool, it has strengths and weaknesses. And I'm still old-fashioned enough that I use the dope in my data book and written on a range card. But I certainly see a day when these programs will completely rule.

Very much worth the price, if just for novelty and to support a great app developer who, I think, supports this site.

Also, for those who like to use some simulations, the shooterready.com ballistic software is great training for wind calls and range milling. It, too, has its limitations, but if you can work that program fast, it will translate to your shooting in the field.

Just my $0.02.

Cheers,

Sirhr

I am fairly new to long range shooting and a few months ago was the first time I had shot past 200 yards. I stuck a target at 500 plugged the numbers in and pulled the trigger. I then sat there with a stunned looked because my bullet stuck the target 1in high and 2in right of bullseye.

I use that very same app on my wife's Kindle fire. It so far has been fairly accurate, considering that i have only tested it with my .308 (2 loads), 40x-rf (3 loads), and my 17HMR (2 loads). with the .308 loads it has been within a half inch at 600 yards on elevation, windage i couldn't tell you cause i only guestimated (I am a sailor so I deem myself good at judging wind). with the .22 out to 200 yards it was about 4 inches off and with the 17 it was about 2.5 inches off at 200 and 4 at 300. over all i think its a pretty decent program

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooterone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can anyone offer a comparison between "shooter" and Exbal? </div></div>

i dont believe Exbal does g7's other then that raw numbers are vary close to each other, but shooter is WAY more easy to use... and only 10$
smile.gif