• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Drop in triggers

Rerun7

Furious George
Minuteman
  • Feb 18, 2017
    Fayetteville, Arkansas
    Wanting to replace the trigger in my spr and looking at a single stage drop in.

This rifle is used for target shooting and coyotes. I have an SSA-E in it now but would like a single stage and a little lighter pull.

Timney and ELF are my two front runners, anyone have experience with these and feedback? I do not want to compromise reliability.

I have one of the gee-whiz ELFs, and make no mistake... it's a nice trigger. That said, to my finger, it's not worth the price premium over a Velocity.

I understand that as you get to the top of a given market, you reach a point of diminishing returns where each dollar invested doesn't buy you as much performance/quality as the dollar before it... but I really feel that the Velocity trigger really punches above its price point.

I agree with the above poster that the Velocity is one of the better values out there. They offer 3 LB, 4 LB, and 4.5 Lb options. I would also take a look at the Hiperfire triggers specifically the 24e or 24 3gun. I have read some really good things about these ones as well. User adjustable 2.5 lb to 3.5 lb pull. They are also coming out with a higher end one shortly that is supposed to be a little better.

The Truth About Guns did a nice write up on drop in triggers. Its from 4/16 so missing a few models, but has a pretty good roundup. The include a nice write-up on each tested trigger as well as graphs showing the take-up, creep, break and over-travel. I bought the Velocity based off of this info. http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...igger-roundup/

I have one of the gee-whiz ELFs, and make no mistake... it's a nice trigger. That said, to my finger, it's not worth the price premium over a Velocity.

I understand that as you get to the top of a given market, you reach a point of diminishing returns where each dollar invested doesn't buy you as much performance/quality as the dollar before it... but I really feel that the Velocity trigger really punches above its price point.

Have you had any issues from the Velocity? I’ve heard stories of light primer strikes or double fires from some of the drop in units. That’s one of the reasons I was looking at the ELF, it has full power springs and a half stop to keep it from drop firing.

I really wanted to get to get my hands on the new SSP but who knows when it will be available and there are still some good deals running this week.

Have you had any issues from the Velocity? I’ve heard stories of light primer strikes or double fires from some of the drop in units. That’s one of the reasons I was looking at the ELF, it has full power springs and a half stop to keep it from drop firing.

I really wanted to get to get my hands on the new SSP but who knows when it will be available and there are still some good deals running this week.

The only time I had any trouble out of the Velocity is when I didn't properly snug up the tension screws... that seems to be the main cause of the doubles with them. Once I installed it properly by snugging up the tension screws, it has been 100% trouble free.

Last edited:
    My current build is using a Timney Calvin Elite 1.5lbs Single-stage. Has a tad more creep than the Elftmann 3guns I have but the knurled trigger on the Timney feels way better than the sharp edges of the Elftmann.

I love the 24c and run it on all my ARs but I noticed on my one Precision AR that I would occasional have a double tap. I pull the trigger like I do on my bolt action (6.0 oz) and with the design of it, I inadvertently get a extra round going down range. Recently purchase a ar gold trigger and adjusted the weight down a bit, so far so good. Still new to it but it feels great. $280ish great? Yeah, probably not but none the less, if you have the money they are nice.

I have two HIPERFIRE 24c's and absolutely love them. No issues with inadvertent double taps like poster above. Can adjust weights 2½ and 3½ lbs. I don't think I'll ever own another trigger system again.

My current build is using a Timney Calvin Elite 1.5lbs Single-stage. Has a tad more creep than the Elftmann 3guns I have but the knurled trigger on the Timney feels way better than the sharp edges of the Elftmann.

+1 for the Calvin Elite. Both my ar308 have it. Very happy.

I got the 24c, but have no experience using it with a precision rig, just a 3 Gun AR. I do love it though, and for the price, I have no desire to get a more expensive trigger. I don't know much about other options out there though tbh. I've kinda just had the 24c and never felt the need to look elsewhere. It's reliable, and it SLAMS that firing pin.

I have the SSAE. I like it, but am not overly impressed. If it was a duty rifle, this is what I'd run.

I have a Hyperfire. I like it more than the SSAE. It is really a nice trigger.

I have a Timney 4 lb. drop in, which is very nice. It still isn't my favorite.

I think my favorite drop in is the Patriot Ordnance drop in trigger. It is really crisp, almost no creep, single stage.

I'll have to try the Calvin Elite. If it were me, listen to these guys and get a Calvin Elite, unless it's a duty rifle, get an SSAE.

I can’t say anything about other drop ins but the trigger tech I own and use is spectacular
    it is nearly a 2 stage but is perhaps a 1/2 lb first and 2 lb after.
    verry light st stage I mean- almost single stage but with a hint of 2 stage.

I have the SSA-E in one of my AR's that I use primarily for target work. I have Hiperfire 24 3Gun and 24E triggers in other rifles. I prefer the SSA-E for target work. My Hiperfire triggers are just not as crisp in my examples. I do like the 24 3Gun in my 9mm carbine. It is fast and resets reliably.

Another vote for the Trigger Tech. I've owned the CMC single stage, the Hiperfire 24 3Gun and prefer the Trigger Tech by far. Very crisp no creep.

A word of caution about triggers with housings . In our little group we have had a few (2) of those triggers lock up. Upon opening the action we found that dirt and debris would get in side. it would lock up the hammer by packing in against the hammer and the housing wall. As a game gun that should be ok, just take apart clean it out and reassemble. But as a Go to Gun well you get the idea. There was a third one that locked up but that was because one guy thought using locktite on the locking screws was a good idea. yea well that was a great laugh. Haven't seen any in a while. Personally any AR's I have are run with Geissele two stage. It helps keep the trigger constant since I run M1A's alot

The ELF is pretty bombproof and has excellent feel and reset. If you don't need the adjustable pull weight, save a hundred bucks and get their SE trigger. Feels just as good as their match and 3-gun triggers.

[h=1]I installed a JPS3.5T spring kit in my 6.5 Creedmoor AR with an SSA-E installed trigger and it's awesome. Worked so good I installed the regular 3.5 spring kits in all my 5.56 AR's with SSA-E triggers.[/h]

if you can find them, i have a few of the discontinued chip mccormick drop ins. They work well for me, even though they had a recall in the past. If you werent looking for a "drop in" i would suggest the geiselle 3 gun flat trigger. Thats my favorite trigger out of all the ones i have in my AR platforms.

I have used the RA-535 rise armament and trigger tech. Like them both.