• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Drop Leg Holster

Jig Stick

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 27, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
does anybody know who makes a good quality drop leg holster? Im looking for one for my Sig P220 and Springfield Loaded 1911. The ones Ive seen so far have been garbage. Thanks.

Re: Drop Leg Holster

Safariland 6004 or Blackhark Serpa for Kydex style, or Eagle, Tactical Tailor, London Bridge or many others for Cordura style.

Which brands have you seen that were junk?

Ive used the Safariland 6004 for years on SWAT. It pricey but high quality and doesnt crawl around on your leg very much.

Ive also ised the Vapor one from SpecOps Gear. Harder to draw from, but decent and doesnt move around either.

I like the Safariland Kydex. I have used them for years with no issues. It makes a very stable platform to draw from. They are very rugged. They are very comfortable. It's easy to forget you are wearing one and accidently bump into things with your holster, just something to think about and be mindful of.

Another vote for Safariland 6004 series. With the kydex they maintain their shape so it makes holstering easier while maintaining eyes downrange on your threat. Remember to adjust the height appropriately where the palm heal indexes the grip. I see a lot of people wear them out of the box down to their knee where they have to lean over to draw. I also use an allen head and nutsert through the strap and belt to keep it from spinning around on the belt (better than duct tape).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Safariland 6004. Run a thigh rig as high as you can. Higher is faster/smoother until you get to belt level.</div></div> +1
Safariland 6004 is pretty much the industry standard.
If you get one, shit can the top leg strap and wear it high...the whole point of thigh-rigs are to get it <span style="font-weight: bold">just low enough</span> that it clears your body armor on the draw...don't be that tool bag that wears his thigh rig like an ape dangling around on his knee (I see 'em everyday).

Absolutely agree. If you can't get a firing grip on the pistol in the holster with your elbow at least slightly bent <span style="font-style: italic">without dipping your shoulder</span>, the holster is too low.

Why not run something inbetween a belt mounted holster and a true drop leg.

Why not a dropped and offset holster ..... it drops the gun to where the heel is just above the belt, and offsets it out about an inch or so, basically just enough to get your hand on it easier to get a good grip since it is in a dropped position.

When you drop the top leg strap of the 6004 and ride it high like DoorKicker suggested, thats almost what you have.

I personally like both leg straps, but I still run to top one pretty high.

That BDS mentioned above is interesting for those hard-to-fit guns.

I have Safariland's longest DOH shank here somewhere. I have been meaning to try it out instead of the shroud on my 6004. I am just afraid that without the strap it may flap when running.

i cant seem to find a price on the safari land 6004 for a Sig P220. Its not showing up on the price list. anybody know? and what colors are available?

6004 on the leg platform set up as mentioned above but I still run both straps as it helps me on the draw to keep the holster from canting. On my regular duty rig I run that long belt drop and the only problem I have had with that is it does tend to grab the pistol on the draw stroke because the bottom of the holster wants to flare out from the leg. It is not as forgiving on the draw if your grip and pull is not straight out of the holster. With plenty of practice you will find that sweet spot. Make sure that if you sometimes wear gloves you are practicing with them on as well, they change my grip just enough to warrant extra practice. I have also found that a shot of aresol silicone down the holster once in awhile helps slick it up a little and prevents moisture from soaking into the suede lining. Getting the right grip initially is the key and the 6004 works best for me as the flip of the hood with the thumb allows the web of my hand to grab the pistol in the same spot everytime, generating one fluid motion. Your draw from the 6004 is one motion where the pistol almost looks like it is jumping into your hand as it clears the hood. The 6004 reminds me of dropping my pistol in a bucket there is no extra material like in a nylon rig that catches on the gun or flattens out. The 6004 makes reholstering very instinctive and quick not to mention fast to secure when going hands on. Another consideration is when those nylon rigs get soaking wet they tend to create more issues. Remember as a training note your draw should be the same speed everytime whether you are dealing with bad guys or putting the gun in the safe, draw as quickly as you can do it safely generating accurate hits without having to adjust your grip prior to trigger squeeze. Speed will come with practice.

Check out Cop Quest they have a decent price and I have had good luck with items being in stock. Depending on what model you want some are available in tan, OD, black, and three color desert. Let us know what you end up with and why.

Good luck,

Danel

Safariland 6004. Lose the top leg strap, lose the annoying thumb shroud, and ride it as high up as possible.

Its ridiculous watching guys doing transitions to the their pistol and their pistol (in a drop leg holster) is behind their knee.

I wear my 6004 on a separate duty belt and use keepers to prevent it from moving.

I ran a blackhawk serpa in the military. Loved it. I've got the drop leg and a holster for each of my pistols now so I can swap them out if need be.

I had a serpa mounted on a molle dropleg. I really like the serpa release mechanism as compared to something you have to flip down with your thumb. I also haven't had much luck with the spring loaded ones, they are not reliable enough for me and when you are drawing your pistol you really need it to come out on the first pull. I liked having it on the molle dropleg too because you can stick something else on there if you want, IE a knife or flashlight, whatever you need.

I use a Serpa for my X26, but I would not trust one for my sidearm. Too many reports of the lock jamming and not releasing the weapon. If you work in a clean environment it may never be an issue. If you get dirty, then it may be a problem.

While running classes I have seen the serpas jam with sand and were unable to release the pistol. Other than sand I have not seen any other issue.

Try a Blade-Tech WRS. It utilizes a thumb break style system that allows the hood to rotate forward for an easy and fast draw. As far as it failing like has been mentioned about other rigs of that style, Mr. Murphy is always out there, but if you take care of it, it will take care of you.

+1 for Safariland 6004, a great holster with lots of adjustment for personal preference. I use one for work and have nothing but praise for it.