• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Drop Leg Holster????

trauma1

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 23, 2012
I am trying to educate myself on drop legs. I see some with 2 straps to the belt and others with 1. I am currently using Molle attachments to battle belt and plate carrier. (G Code )

What are the things I should focus on? Thanks for your time.

I'm not sure that there is a ton of thought that has to go into this. But that's what keeps so many aftermarket businesses afloat.

I carried a Blackhawk Serpa as well as a generic 'one size fits some' drop leg holsters for years in country. Both were issued at one point or another, and both served me well with a ton of use.

If I had anything negative about the two leg strap system, it would be that the bottom strap tends to loosen up after an hour or two and it may shift just a bit...but I don't remember it being high on my list if complaints about the gear I had to wear.

I still have the 'one size' attached to an LBV somewhere in my safe room ready to go. Not only did my issued M9 fit in it, but it holds a G17 pretty well too.

I'm sure someone with better experience will chime in soon.

Reactions: trauma1
I used a serpa drop leg with the top strap removed, I liked it a lot. It sat just over my right pocket and allowed access to the hip pocket and cargo pocket on my OCPs. Easy position for the hand without flopping too much in a run.

For a drop leg I would think aboit how much you can control it in a struggle. It is a balance against your access to the pistol and an aggressor access in a struggle. Closer to the hip and you can rotate away, Lower towards the knee feels nice on the range for that cowboy quickdraw but you cant move it as much without losing balance if you know what I mean.

<--- 6004 w/ dremel work to get rid of the top strap + shortened drop
IMHO they are not a great way to go if alternatives exist but If one lacks real estate on the midline, then higher is better.
- run a mile or some in them, generally a single strap that rides higher on the thigh - less chaffing = better
- drop legs are a painfully slow draw seated in a vehicle

Last edited:
Only drop if you have a specific reason to. Dropping below the belt will make it bump into stuff, and wobble around as you move.

If needed, wear as high as you can. No knee holsters. You shouldn't need two leg straps.

I -- and many others I know -- run the UBL extension on Safariland holsters. It's a rigid extension, in a couple lengths. The short one is usually enough to do things like wear armor and a ruck belt at the waistline.

The rigidity means you don't need a leg strap, and it moves with the beltline (i.e. not much) vs moving with your leg. Some wear a leg strap with the long one, I don't get why, but you can.

Depending on OP's end-use, I believe that the Safariland security holsters and drop leg style mounting rig combinations are the best, importantly in my experience they offer the most modularity when using ELS /QLS adapters. The first thing I modify is any strap mechanism that that requires it to be secured by threading it thru the belt most commonly attaching a ELS fork on the holster side and the ELS receiver on the hip paddle side; it allows for easy de-holstering the entire rig after releasing the single high riding thigh strap and I control the preferred height of the pistol grip relative to belt height .

On most of my hip paddles I install two screws that fit the height and width of duty / training belt that are resistant to allowing upward movement of the rig during the draw stroke, however the paddle rig itself can be removed with outward leverage. It was my experience with the Safariland UBL holster that it suffers from not offering a leg strap, which allows the tip of the holster to flop about on the move as well as being unstable lateral movement on the draw stroke; modified with a Blackhawk curved hip paddle that matches the thigh contour fitted and with a Safariland leg strap, solved those problems. Maybe some of this examples will help your selection.

IMG_6532 copy.jpg
IMG_6533 copy.jpg
Sig P320 VTAC Wilson Combat Grip GLS Safariland Drop Leg Rig Photos 2020IMG_5804 copy.jpg
Sig P320 VTAC Wilson Combat Grip GLS Safariland Drop Leg Rig Photos 2020IMG_5807 copy.jpg
DSCN1543 copy.JPG
IMG_4374e copy.jpg
IMG_4375e copy.jpg
DSCN1554a copy.jpg
DSCN1570 copy.JPG

Thank you very much for the detailed information! The pictures are very helpful!!

Depending on OP's end-use, I believe that the Safariland security holsters and drop leg style mounting rig combinations are the best, importantly in my experience they offer the most modularity when using ELS /QLS adapters. The first thing I modify is any strap mechanism that that requires it to be secured by threading it thru the belt most commonly attaching a ELS fork on the holster side and the ELS receiver on the hip paddle side; it allows for easy de-holstering the entire rig after releasing the single high riding thigh strap and I control the preferred height of the pistol grip relative to belt height .

On most of my hip paddles I install two screws that fit the height and width of duty / training belt that are resistant to allowing upward movement of the rig during the draw stroke, however the paddle rig itself can be removed with outward leverage. It was my experience with the Safariland UBL holster that it suffers from not offering a leg strap, which allows the tip of the holster to flop about on the move as well as being unstable lateral movement on the draw stroke; modified with a Blackhawk curved hip paddle that matches the thigh contour fitted and with a Safariland leg strap, solved those problems. Maybe some of this examples will help your selection.

View attachment 7428171View attachment 7428172View attachment 7428173View attachment 7428175View attachment 7428178View attachment 7428179View attachment 7428180View attachment 7428182View attachment 7428183

<--- 6004 w/ dremel work to get rid of the top strap + shortened drop
IMHO they are not a great way to go if alternatives exist but If one lacks real estate on the midline, then higher is better.
- run a mile or some in them, generally a single strap that rides higher on the thigh - less chaffing = better
- drop legs are a painfully slow draw seated in a vehicle
Ha! I was wondering if someone would mention the old school 6004 with that modification. That's great! Add a Strider and you're set.

Another thing to consider is leg balance. I carried my M9 on a drop leg in Afghanistan and Iraq. On my second deployment I put a drop leg on my weakside with 4 30 round mags for my M16. The two items helped even the load so when I did move it wasn't awkward.

Ive worn a variety if thigh rigs off and on for over 20 years. Im a fan of the Safariland Paddle mount and single leg strap. KT Mech makes their holsters to fit them as well so it opens up a wider array of options. This one was made by KT Mech
20200219_085542.jpg

Thank you for the picture. Would you consider that “riding high or low”. Sorry if my description doesn’t make sense. Guys have been referring to height at which the weapon is. Thanks

Ive worn a variety if thigh rigs off and on for over 20 years. Im a fan of the Safariland Paddle mount and single leg strap. KT Mech makes their holsters to fit them as well so it opens up a wider array of options. This one was made by KT MechView attachment 7429095

Thank you for the picture. Would you consider that “riding high or low”. Sorry if my description doesn’t make sense. Guys have been referring to height at which the weapon is. Thanks
When ordering, Safariland uses the same descriptors for selecting the ride height of their rigs: High, mid- and low-.....I believe it describes the holster paddle belt loop location relative to the mounting point for QLS / ELS . I would describe the one above as a mid-ride holster position.

I like a mid ride as it doesnt interfere if im wearing a heavier/longer jacket and that it puts the pistol grip in the perfect position for my draw. Any higher requires too much elbow and shoulder movement, any lower and it takes too long

Ive worn a variety if thigh rigs off and on for over 20 years. Im a fan of the Safariland Paddle mount and single leg strap. KT Mech makes their holsters to fit them as well so it opens up a wider array of options. This one was made by KT MechView attachment 7429095

Lookin a bit soft in the triceps there.
Might wanna hit the gym! 😆

I like that style of holster rig you showing.
I tried the low drop with 2 straps. Did not like it and sold it.
Currently have a safariland in what is about a 2” drop from belt and its really slick. Might have to see about adding a thigh strap like that.

I run a Trex ragnarok with a safariland mid ride and ronin leg strap. It's in a really good position out of the way of plate carriers and the like.

I dont advocate a specific brand / set up but the general rules of thumb is:

Go as high as you can and still be able to draw from standing, kneeing, prone etc etc
Keep the pistol side / strong hand side clear of other gear
If you cannot touch the muzzle with your finger tip while standing up straight its TOO low
Set it up and go for a run, take a knee, run again and draw......rinse and repeat. That will highlight mounting issues
Consider how you want to use it....vehicles, foot, ATV and any combinations of
Don't fall in the "sub load" trap

I am running a UBL mid ride with the QLS system with a thigh strap. Love it.

This worked well for me. Not drop length, its "Optimum Drop" length.

1600878587197.png

Truth be told the plate itself is pretty stiff and the strap just becomes "belt and suspenders" to prevent holster flip.

The belt runs high careful tightening it up to ensure you dont catch any pubes.

Reactions: clcustom1911
Only drop if you have a specific reason to. Dropping below the belt will make it bump into stuff, and wobble around as you move.

If needed, wear as high as you can. No knee holsters. You shouldn't need two leg straps.

I -- and many others I know -- run the UBL extension on Safariland holsters. It's a rigid extension, in a couple lengths. The short one is usually enough to do things like wear armor and a ruck belt at the waistline.

The rigidity means you don't need a leg strap, and it moves with the beltline (i.e. not much) vs moving with your leg. Some wear a leg strap with the long one, I don't get why, but you can.

Nailed it. I’ve carried drop legs, even had one on each leg for a deployment. After I went to the UBL I’ll never go back.

My reasons for not liking drop leg:
-Getting in and out of trucks it was pretty much guaranteed to hit something.
-Can’t or very hard to get to the gun while in a vehicle.
-when taking a knee the holster is now at an odd angle you have to train for or be ready for painful slow manipulation.
-when on a knee it instantly starts rotating around your leg toward the earth as gravity does it’s work (several style holsters, tight as I could run, didn’t make a difference).
-Run really fast very far (say more than 100 yards) and that pistol is either coming out of the holster or it’s going to beat your leg to death.

UBL avoids nearly all of those but does make it more difficult to sit in a chair with arms. If you need to sit in meetings a qls is a worthy addition so you can move the holster to a better place.

I dont advocate a specific brand / set up but the general rules of thumb is:

If you cannot touch the muzzle with your finger tip while standing up straight its TOO low
This x100%. If you go lower, the setup will become flippity floppity. No bueno.

I mainly run assorted safariland setups from the belt with the different UBL drops depending on my mood LOL.

Screenshot_20200923-163157_Chrome.jpg

I live in Texas, it is if licensed legal to wear a dl holster.

It causes a lot of stares at wallmart and some le give you the stink eye.

But like I said Texas, fuckem do as you please. Stick a big ole ds 45 in it and carry on.

Reactions: AirborneOkie