• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DRY FIRING A REM 700P?

donniedee

Private
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2011
dripping springs texas
what arE you guys using in the chamber when you "dry fire" for practice? i have a new in the box remington 700 police 26in in .308 id like to dry fire and work the bolt alot to get it broken in and work on breathing and trigger work when inside and bad weather,

do you guys use 308 snap caps or empty brass? as not to hurt the firing pin? thaNks guys...

Re: DRY FIRING A REM 700P?

yes, yes and just plain old air.

You don't need anything in the chamber. You won't hurt the firing pin.

If you are OCD and need something then a piece of brass with the primer removed and some rubber cement or silicone caulk in it works fine and is cheap.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You don't need anything in the chamber. You won't hurt the firing pin.

If you are OCD and need something then a piece of brass with the primer removed and some rubber cement or silicone caulk in it works fine and is cheap.</div></div>

Yep, tried it and it not only works, but also keeps the OCD demon at bay.

dry firing on an empty chamber will not damage anything. Fire away.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: donniedee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what ar you guys using in the chamber when you "dry fire" for practice? i have a new in the box remington 700 police 26in in .308 id like to dry fire and work the bolt alot to get it broken in and work on breathing and trigger work when inside and bad weather,

do you guys use 308 snap caps or empty brass? as not to hurt the firing pin? thaNks guys... </div></div>

Air....

fire until you break it.....(that will be a LOOOOOOOONG time)

Chamber empty and the IOTA.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jpspeeddemon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">dry firing on an empty chamber will not damage anything. Fire away. </div></div>

Exactly this. No need for "snap caps" or any other device. The safest way to dry fire is with a completely empty chamber.

I've heard of folks going to insert their trusty snap caps for dry firing and accidentally grabbing a live round.

An empty chamber is an empty chamber....always safe.

You don't need anything in the chamber.

Good shooters dry-fire more than live-fire.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The_Surgeon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dry firing rifle will not hurt. Handgun is where dry firing damages the trigger, especially if the handgun has a trigger job. </div></div>

I own a half dozen 700's and have dry fired for years with no ill effect.

Now help me understand-
Why does dry firing hurt handguns with trigger jobs. Particular models or all handguns. Semi, revolver...

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The_Surgeon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chard, what part of Oklahoma are you located? I see NE. </div></div>

Muskogee - Mother attended college @ Weatherford.

if this helps I was told one time if it breaks then it was ment to break.so fire away with nothing in the chamber.

i will cycle the bolt tomorrow till i dehydrate myself now that i saw this thread.

i have heard others caution me about dry firing. i was not sure if their concerns were founded. i went ahead and still dry fired but did it a lot less than i wanted to.

as for buffering the firing pin shock?: i imagine the firing pin still bottoms out inside the bolt with many different materials filling the primer pocket. may be an exercise in futility? if you are happy go ahead and be happy.

I've been raised on the religion that dry firing .22LR with an empty chamber is a bad thing, due to peening the firing pin or chamber mouth, but that is a faith based creed and not based on actually witnessing any actual damage. The same nice folks that kindly taught me to not repeatedly dry fire a 22 also encouraged me to dry fire every thing else under the sun - with an empty chamber.

I loaded projectiles to empty cases with their spent primers, drilled holes in the case walls to make it VERY easily distinguishable from live ammo... For cycling the action and reloads from prone.

The old school of thought was found unsound over the years.
Dry fire does not cause any damage to bolt action centerfire rifles.
You can disagree all you want, it just doesnt cause damage.
Now, rimfire is a differnet animal all together.
Dry fire that 700 all you can, out the window at live targets is best.

It's very much encouraged and won't harm your weapon, contrary to popular belief. Click away! My rule of thumb(and I borrowed it) is 100 well executed dry fires for each live round you send will build proper muscle memory and will reflect in your performance.

When I hit a rut and feel like I can't hit a bull's ass with a baseball I go back to basics and spend some hours in the mancave dry firing; next time out is always much better.

if you're really worried about it use an empty brass. they also sell dummies for this in the store... but like the other guys said, dont worry about.

I have retard strength, I know my trigger pull is the worst. I dry fire a rifle every night at the tv. Everyone on the screen is a victim until I learn to focus better.

Dry fire that shit, use a red rider beebee gun if you have to. Mike has a pink red Ryder at the shop For his daughter that I use to work on focal plane and trigger pull.

Zach

407414_10151300514370084_754583848_n.jpg