• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dry firing during a 22 Match

Shane431

Captain
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2017
Frisco, TX
Got a question. So i have a T1X and I realize that it's not a good idea to dry fire a rim fire without a snapcap or wall anchor, etc.... My question comes during competition. Some stages I lose track of fired rounds and find myself checking the chamber before finish cycling the bolt and firing when I think I'm getting to the end of the mag. Would I be better off just keep firing until I get the click and not worry about it? Worse case scenario would be 10 times during a total match. Or curious as to what yall do?

Buy an extra firing pin :) I dry fired my Tikka hundreds of times... yes it's possible the firing pin tip might crack one day, so just have an extra one in your bag. I stopped doing excessive dry firing at home, but I still would do it in a match. I still do it when I case my rifle.

Got a question. So i have a T1X and I realize that it's not a good idea to dry fire a rim fire without a snapcap or wall anchor, etc.... My question comes during competition. Some stages I lose track of fired rounds and find myself checking the chamber before finish cycling the bolt and firing when I think I'm getting to the end of the mag. Would I be better off just keep firing until I get the click and not worry about it? Worse case scenario would be 10 times during a total match. Or curious as to what yall do?
Concentrate on what you are doing. Count the fired rounds.

Is it just the firing pin? Some .22s can peen the chamber and prevent rounds from loading

Reactions: Rover31
Dropping your firing pin on an empty chamber may become a one point penalty at my RF match. Just to fuck with people.

That's what brought up the questions as I see a lot of guys just keep going until there's a click, no bang.

Could always stick a finger in the action to feel if you got a round left in the mag or not. I’m paranoid about peening the edge of the breech.
Then again I’m left handed shooting a right handed gun, its probably easier for me to check using my support hand than it would be for a rh guy.

That's what brought up the questions as I see a lot of guys just keep going until there's a click, no bang.
Now at my match when we hear the "click" there is spontaneous heckling of the hapless competitor, and jokes about "haha, minus one point!" Well seriously, losing a point may get folks to start keeping count. But it is hard, I know....

Reactions: Krob95
So what?

It's not your equipment. And as long as the scores are kept properly and they aren't walking off the line loaded it's a non-issue.

Focus on your stuff. Let them focus on theirs.

Did you even read anything above? I never stated I had a problem with it. That's why I asked " Would I be better off just keep firing until I get the click and not worry about it? "

If a stage has enough rounds that require a mag change I plan for it and do the mag change when there is a position change.

If it is set up (head spaced) correctly the firing pin should not contact the breech face and some few dry fires should be of no consequence to the rifle. As far as all that round count and penalty business, that's another issue.

Reactions: hlee
I've seen many 'good' shooters click the firing pin during a stage more than once. It's gonna happen. You can try to keep track, but it's low on the list. I snapped the firing pin on my T1x the night before a match. Get a spare. I ended up using a 'spare' 10/22 for that match.

Dropping your firing pin on an empty chamber may become a one point penalty at my RF match. Just to fuck with people.
Now at my match when we hear the "click" there is spontaneous heckling of the hapless competitor, and jokes about "haha, minus one point!" Well seriously, losing a point may get folks to start keeping count. But it is hard, I know....

I was goin to say this sounds familiar. Then I realized why. 😂

Reactions: Krob95
I haven’t seen a modern rimfire capable of peening the chamber. Many of us don’t care if they get dry fired hundreds or even thousands of times.

Reactions: hlee