• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report DTA 338 with Thunder Beast 338BA Suppresor

RayDog

Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 24, 2001
Fort Collins, CO
I got some range time with our 338BA can on a Desert Tactical 338 Lapua today.
I gotta say I was pleased with the results. I’ll do more of a complete write up and post on my site but this should be good for now.
Here are a couple pictures of the rifle. DTA 338 Lapua with a S&B 5-25 on top and our 338BA suppressor.

DTAC2-1.jpg

DTAC1-1.jpg

Here are the first couple groups I shot while getting a zero for the load I was shooting. I got the load from the DTA guys, 86 gr of RL25 pushing a 300 Scenar loaded to 2.892 ogive.

First group I shot wasn’t bad measuring .7 I put 2 into one hole then 2 a little high and one connecting them all. It takes some practice getting behind this rifle since I’m so use to a more conventional rig. I wasn’t getting behind it the same for each shot as evident by the group.
DTAC1.jpg

Next group was about the same .7 with 3 into on hole and then 2 a little high.
DTAC2.jpg

I shot both of these groups over the Ohler 35P. The first 5 shot string had a high of 2610 low of 2596 Extreme spread of 14 SD of 5 for a 2600 average. Group #1

Second string High 2613 Low 2592 Extreme Spread 21 SD 9, average 2604 Group #2

I shot 5 (6) more rounds for a final zero here for group #3. On my fourth shot my 75lb pitbull jumped out of my truck and though it would be good to lean into my leg taking the shot out of the group so I shot one more. 5 shots into a ragged hole going .4 center to center.
DTACZero.jpg

I can live with that

I ran the numbers through Ballistic FTE for 5000’ AD and headed across the street to stretch things out to 1000 yards. Before the sun dropped down behind the Rockies.

I put a steel IPSC out and a cardboard IPSC a few feet away( I need to save groups for testing purposes). First round on steel was a hit a little high on the IPSC but good enough. I switched over to the cardboard and let 5 fly. This is where I really regretted forgetting to take my 338 TAB Gear cover off my other 338 can before heading out. I had to wait longer than I wanted to take the shots in the lite but twitchy winds. I went down to check after the string and was extremely pleased with what I saw. 4 shots into 2 ¾” with the 5th opening it up to 5”. I do not know the order of the shots but the one was barley on the target. I’ll take luck when I can
DTAC1k1.jpg

This had me pretty excited to shoot a couple more groups.
I’m not used to the P4 reticle since I’m a USO guy that shoots the CMG MOA reticle so I dialed in .2 mil left for the next string. The first 4 shots looked good as far as dust behind the target but the wind changed up a bit down at the target and on the 5th shot I didn’t see any dust at all so I sent one more just to be safe. Once again 4 shots into a crazy small 2” group with 2 shots high and a little left opening it up to 7” But my group stayed on the right edge. Once again a little luck helped out a lot.
DTAC1k2.jpg

Now I was really ready for another string. I sent 5 more trying to get the last of the sun. I guess I rushed to much or the wind changed just enough but out of 5 shots only 3 were on target 2 pretty centered but a little low about 1.5” apart with the third just inside the left edge about 9” high. I guess the other 2 went off the left edge. I didn’t see or feel the wind change but something happened. Nothing like getting humbled right back to reality ASAP.

It’s looking like this combo has a lot of potential. I’ll get it out to 1500 as soon as I can, maybe tomorrow. I need more Scenars!

Re: DTAC 338 with Thunder Beast 338BA Suppresor

What's with the rubber bands, just for curiosity?

broken plastic tabs on but plate. I think new ones are a new material. I'm sure the DTAC guys can reply...Help me out Troy, Nick

Great shooting Ray, is that Cody's rifle? We call it the DTA SRS .338 LM
smile.gif
DTAC is David Tubb's reticle.

Take a photo of the butplate and stock pannels. MMS me and I'll mail him or you whatever you need to fix it.

Man thats a sweet rig...makes me want one more and more.

Sorry About name. I fixed from my phone. Cody might not get this rifle back if it keeps shooting like this.
By the way...you're awesome

Yeah.. I keep telling myself that.
smile.gif
bahaha.

VERY nice shooting!!!

FWIW: that "dog ate my homework causing me to flinch story" will only work once, you know (LOL).

Reloader 25 has extreme changes in burn rate between lots I load until my velocity is approx 2750 fps. My old lot at 86 grains does that but many have to go as high as 91 grains with some of the newer lots, just workup slowly.

Great shooting and nice rifle Raydog!

WOW i hope one day i can pull off groups like that! my cousin is waiting on a DTA which should be in his hands in the next 2-3 weeks, i can not wait, though it might put my Blaser tac2 to shame!!