• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

DTA SRS vs. AI AE II

Iggy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2010
Northern California
I have been doing some searching and I have not found much comparing the two platforms. I know they are very different, but I wanted to see how the two stacked up against each other.

I am about to graduate college and I am looking for my one and only bolt gun. I am currently shooting a R700 SPS-V on an AICS.

They are both similarly priced which is why I am asking. The two main factors that I am worried about is accuracy and durability, which is why I was looking at AI in the first place. What I like about the SRS is the weight and the size, but I like how I can change to 338 fairly easy on the SRS.

So what is the general consensus on these two platforms?

Re: DTA SRS vs. AI AE II

It is not "fairly" easy to change to 338.

My 6 year old daughter could do it in 60 seconds. SRS is an excellent platform. Never owned an AI.

i shoot a AI at work and have shot a DTA SRS, i even did a couple stalks with one (thanx LC) and if it says anything my next long gun will be a DTA

AI - proven in combat. Plus, you already like the AICS platform, so you know you will like the AE (especially with the AINA AI AE MKII Covert deal that MHSA/AINA has going on ...).

While I considered the DTA, I ended up with an AI-AW.

But ultimately, it is up to you. I think you would enjoy either.

That's the difficult part. What has attracted me to AI from the beginning is the durability and the fact that they are time proven. The DTA is a sweet platform and I really like the concept and design of the weapon. I would like to shoot both, but in Northern CA, I don't know of anyone who has either.

If you're wanting to be able to shoot from 243-338LM and lots of calibers in between then I would suggest the DTA. That was the reason I purchased one. Get one nice piece of glass and use the money you will save (from not having to buy additional rifles and glass) for conversions. There are companies making many diferent caliber conversions. I have seen 6.5x284, 7WSM, 243, 308, 338LM, etc.

The AI does have proven track record in combat, but what are you really going to be using this thing for? Are you really going to beat the shit out of it? I feel safe saying that you will not have a problem with the DTA durability after I have talked to the guys there about the testing that they have gone through.

Just my 2 cents. Maybe I'm bias because I have a DTA but I have shot an AI as well.....

you will not have durability issues with the DTA that thing is freaking SOLID

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is not "fairly" easy to change to 338.

My 6 year old daughter could do it in 60 seconds. SRS is an excellent platform. Never owned an AI. </div></div>

sorry but can you clarify that for me. that statement didnt make sense to me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: weaver126</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is not "fairly" easy to change to 338.

My 6 year old daughter could do it in 60 seconds. SRS is an excellent platform. Never owned an AI. </div></div>

sorry but can you clarify that for me. that statement didnt make sense to me. </div></div>

Seriously....a Caveman can do the conversion in about 60 secs. its like 5 5mm bolts you un torque and your done.

Remove butpad, remove bolt, loosen screw, remove barrel...reverse order with new barrel and bolt. Thats how its done, you tube SRS and you can see for yourself.

AI not crazy difficult but you need a barrel vice mounted to something sturdy as well as a big ass torque wrench and a special tool (action wrench).

With the AI you can really only interchange SA calibers and LA calibers but not between the two, meaning no 308 to 338 conversion.

Caliber Conversion...Go!

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YSMYe4mVwOU"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YSMYe4mVwOU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Never shot one myself, but that is one sweet platform.

Josh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tucsondave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have both an AIAW and a DTA SRS. Lots of dust on the AI. </div></div>

Dave,

Just let me know if I can do some dusting for ya...
grin.gif

At the rate AI takes for new stuff, I would not hold my breath.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iggy.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been doing some searching and I have not found much comparing the two platforms. I know they are very different, but I wanted to see how the two stacked up against each other.

I am about to graduate college and I am looking for my one and only bolt gun. I am currently shooting a R700 SPS-V on an AICS.

They are both similarly priced which is why I am asking. The two main factors that I am worried about is accuracy and durability, which is why I was looking at AI in the first place. What I like about the SRS is the weight and the size, but I like how I can change to 338 fairly easy on the SRS.

So what is the general consensus on these two platforms?</div></div>

They're both good rifles. But the question is, which one will you feel most comfortable with? If you're already used to the AICS, upgrading to an AE will be a pleasant improvement on what you've been shooting. And it's worth considering just how important shooting .338 is...whether you have the range for it and the money for the ammo. Either way you'll have a solid platform, but if you're seriously thinking about the AE give us a call.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i shoot a AI at work and have shot a DTA SRS, i even did a couple stalks with one (thanx LC) and if it says anything my next long gun will be a DTA</div></div>

LOL BigJoe..now the question that comes to my mind since you mentioned the stalks...Did you ever have to "face the hill" lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stacey @ AINA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well now, never say never, hummm, maybe something new coming hummmm. </div></div>

Not that is just taunting someone....lol

Nope, just remember Shot, it was exciting, more new stuff there in one booth and coming out as we speak. But remember, don't hold your breath we are slow and you know....... But, trying to make sure something works prior to release is very important in my book, and having fun of course.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SRT Supply</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

They're both good rifles. But the question is, which one will you feel most comfortable with? If you're already used to the AICS, upgrading to an AE will be a pleasant improvement on what you've been shooting. And it's worth considering just how important shooting .338 is...whether you have the range for it and the money for the ammo. Either way you'll have a solid platform, but if you're seriously thinking about the AE give us a call.
wink.gif
</div></div>

That is a good point. The AICS is very comfortable, and it so happens that AI makes awesome rifles. I really wish I could shoot the SRT to get a feel for it. I'm not shooting .338 any time soon, because of exactly what you said: money and a range to shoot. I like the idea of being able to switch out calibers very fast though.

Are you Ed? I have been shopping around and your prices and they are the best I've seen. I will definitely be calling you if I go with AI.

How do the triggers match up? How is the cheek weld on the SRS? I noticed that there are not any option for adjustment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iggy.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
That is a good point. The AICS is very comfortable, and it so happens that AI makes awesome rifles. I really wish I could shoot the SRT to get a feel for it. I'm not shooting .338 any time soon, because of exactly what you said: money and a range to shoot. I like the idea of being able to switch out calibers very fast though.</div></div>

Down the road, you may decide you want a completely different build for a .338. If you have to choose any one caliber to go with though, it's definitely .308 hands-down.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Are you Ed? I have been shopping around and your prices and they are the best I've seen. I will definitely be calling you if I go with AI.</div></div>

This is actually Jonathan, but either Ed or myself can help when you're ready to order. Give it some thought and see what you think.

Iggy, I have owned both.

I ended up selling my 338 Lapua AI when money was tight. I wish I still owned it.

I have a couple of DTA's. I really like them, especially in 338 Lapua because most 338's are bbl heavy while the DTA balances very well. Carry both in field and you will probably like DTA better. My DTA's shoot under .50 moa with factory ammo. Great rifles. AI's shoot great as well.

AI has been proven in combat over and over again. DTA is fairly new and I have not beaten mine so no info from me on durability of DTA.

I will be at Sacramento on Friday come out and you can get behind my DTA

Lastly you wont go wrong with either. For years I used to do some outside work specing materials for different groups to do off shore work. Seems everytime I got to a need for real long range sniper rifle I ended up putting the AI 338 Lapua in the purchase this colum. I wish I still had my AI but I would not give up my DTA. I need to make more money!

One of the big plus on DTA for me is the cost. I believe its best deal on 338 Lapua going.

I suggest you go shoot both a bunch. Then decide. Its the best way.

I can't speak about the AI, but the DTA is rock solid. I was concerned about the check weld as well, and like you, I couldn't find one around here to get behind before I purchased it. I took a leap of faith and bought it. I have no issues with the check weld, and none of my shooting buddies have had any issue or concern with it either. The trigger isn't like shooting a fine tuned match trigger, but it doesn't suck either. It works just fine for me to easily shoot under .5 moa w/ the .308. I can't tell you the DTA is better than an AI, but I can say that you won't be dissappointed in the DTA.

I don't own an AI and haven't fired one enough to really say what I think about it. I do own a DT SRS and it is the best one for the job in my case. The changing of the barrels is simple, repeatable and very easy. The ability to have one rifle with one scope and use many cartridges is a definite plus as you only need to become familiar with one scope, cheek weld, trigger and overall feel. The only thing that really changes is the recoil. Scope adjustments are pretty simple with good record keeping. I bought my rifle in .338LM with the specific intent of building a 12.7X48(510 whisper equivilant) barrel for it which I have done. The 510 makes a wonderful subsonic platform for launching big heavy bullets quietly suppressed. There is enough room in the case to load supersonic as well should you choose to do so. The 510 cases are based on the .338LM case so once you've worn out the cases and split the necks in the lapua you can cut the cases down and get some more mileage from them in the 510.
One big advantage I see in the DT is the short and handy size. With a 10.5" suppressor on the 26" .338LM barrel the overall length is still only 48". The same can on a 48" Sako TRG42 puts you at about 59" OAL. Where the DT is heavy with the can its still very well balanced and the Sako is really nose heavy. I don't know the length on the AI but I can see it being a bit of a similar situation to the Sako in that matter.
As for the cheekweld with the DT I found that the scope I borrowed from my Mk11 Mod 0 had rings that were too low and made life tough but once my nightforce 5-22X56 NXS showed up I used the factory DTA 20MOA mount and its a perfect height. There is no way to lower the cheekpiece but I have seen a couple guys who added some foam padding to bump the thing up a little. Other mounts are also available so like any rifle its possible to adjust to your own liking.

Hope that helps some in the decision making process.

Frank

For the the DTA just didn't do it for me but that's just my thoughts.I do like the ability to use different cal.+1000!! But how the rifle felt to me not so much.The one I was shooting was lacking ring hight so cheek weld was kinda hard and just didn't feel right.I'm not a fan of pistol type grips on rifles and the bullpup action just didn't seem as solid as an AI and I had issues with cycling the bolt.I really don't know if the issuse was me not being use to a rifle but at times I had issues cycling while prone the bolt didn't seem to want to close.I'm not saying it was a deal breaker with the bolt it just didn't feel right to"Me" and the guy who owned the rifle said he hadn't cleaned it in a while so who knows.Trigger was fine and it felt like a solid rifle.the barrel/bolt swap was was stupid easy.accuracy was no issue the rifle shot 5 shot groups a hair under Moa at 100-200 yards with fiocchi ammo topped with 175 smks off a bipod.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tucsondave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have both an AIAW and a DTA SRS. Lots of dust on the AI. </div></div>
Dave,

Just let me know if I can do some dusting for ya...
grin.gif
</div></div>
Apologies for resurrecting this thread.

Does the offer apply to Dave only? And does it cover AICS-2.0 with Rem 700 in 308 (26" bbl)?

TNX!