• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DTA: The Good Guys

nashlaw

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2006
manchester, tn
The AP is reporting that Desert Tech (DesertTactical Arms) turned down a $15 million dollar contract to supply Pakistan with precision rifles. The company said that because of the unrest there was a possibility the rifles could be used against American troops.

Hats off for DTA!

Last edited:
Good to hear! Not all companies are all about the money...fresh breath.

I was happy with their product and this makes me even happier to spend money with them.

Not that I needed another reason, but this clinches my decision to purchase a HTI in .375 CheyTac from them. WAY TO GO DTA!!! Thank you for putting your countrymen before the dollar!

They didnt turn down shit. They were never in the running. Just a smart PR move that worked as designed.

anyone who questions the ploy aint a real patriot, same for whichever assholes win the bid and ship their gear to Pakistan

They didnt turn down shit. They were never in the running. Just a smart PR move that worked as designed.

anyone who questions the ploy aint a real patriot, same for whichever assholes win the bid and ship their gear to Pakistan

And you got this information from who exactly? I think living in CA has just made you cynical and bitter.

And you got this information from who exactly? I think living in CA has just made you cynical and bitter.

Motivations are rarely unselfish and I believe ITAR restrictions prevent selling weapons to foreign governments without the approval of this government. For the deal to go through, it would need to be signed off on by TBTB whose job it is to verify that the weapons wouldn't be used against us in the case of a conflict. I'm hoping someone could clarify this.

Still, I'm sure DTA is good company and wouldn't want their weapons to be used for these ends anyway.

Motivations are rarely unselfish and I believe ITAR restrictions prevent selling weapons to foreign governments without the approval of this government. For the deal to go through, it would need to be signed off on by TBTB whose job it is to verify that the weapons wouldn't be used against us in the case of a conflict. I'm hoping someone could clarify this.

Still, I'm sure DTA is good company and wouldn't want their weapons to be used for these ends anyway.
Indeed. Rarely does PRINCIPLE supersede PROFIT in our capitalist system. Don't get me wrong, greed is good, and cudos to DTA if PRINCIPLE was in fact its guiding light.

In any event, none of their fine precision weapons will end up in Pakistan; another good thing.

Maybe we could interest them in a Tactical Rifles, Counter Sniper combo.

They do make and sell the HTI to foreign military units, they told me so, but I'm glad to hear that not Pakistan. I'm gonna call 'em and thank 'em and tell 'em I'm glad I purchased one of their rifles.

Fuck Pakistan. Wikileaks PROVED those motherfuckers were taking money from us and diverting it to Al Quaida and to fund operations AGAINST our guys. Last thing we need is for these rifles to end up in the hands of the enemy. That rifle would be perfection over there, it only weighs as much as a SAW and about as long. Less parts than a Glock, reliable as an AK and more accurate than the M107.

Uh-uh, let 'em figure out their own precision rifle program. They figured out how to make nukes and half are trained and employed by Bill Gates so it shouldn't be too damn hard.

I think you have lived in Komifornia to long cause holly shit you have an attitude. According to the local news the State Department had signed off on the deal. The main government of Pakistan is considered an ally of the USA.

See my reply above. State department had ok-ed the deal. If that is their job they suck at it anyway, do you know how many times we have given arms to a group (government, faction, tribe what ever the hell you want to call it) only to have those arms used against us a few years down the road. Hell Pakistan was probably borrowing the 15 million from us to start with.

I think the US has given Pakistan about 18 billion in aid since 9/11, most of it militarily.

Its a double edged sword, as we still have interests in maintaining/buying diplomatic ties but I don't want to get too political.

Is DTA privately owned?

I'm thinking yes as a publically traded or private equity owned company would have to deal with shareholders and investors that would likely not put principle over profit. Also a lot of these companies usually will do what the government tells them in order to stay on the government's good side when it comes to future contracts especially when they profit in the process, but I don't know how hard people are pushing to get the Pakistanis rifles.

Whether the deal is ultimately good or bad for US interests or US soldiers, can't be determined at this point and I don't envy the people who are responsible for making these difficult decisions.

Either way, I think DTA made a hard decision in guaranteeing their rifles would not fall into enemy hands and applaud their resolve. One day I hope to own one of their fine firearms.

If its as it is made out to be, good on them. The quality and accuracy of their rifles are unquestionable. Other than that, Id like to hear what 0311 Hesco has to say on this..

US firm claims cancelling rifles contract with Pakistan that never was - DAWN.COM

“We did not have a contract to sell guns to Pakistan. We had been approached (along with other companies) to participate in a solicitation for a large contract to supply Pakistan with precision rifles,” Desert Tech’s Marketing Manager Seth Ercanbrack told Dawn. “We came to a personal decision as a company that we would not continue to pursue the contract.”

Also came to personal decision to alert the press of their personal decision so that the rest of patriotic America could know of their heroic act. Look at the results, you cant put a price on this: https://www.google.com/#q=arms+contract+pakistan

meanwhile how many of those Patriotic Rags will carry the real story?

I know this is offtopic yall and I apologize, but Ive always wondered, with DTA rifles: is there a traditional action/receiver inside of the stock? Or does the chassis itself make up the action?

Funny thing is, how many 'factions' has our own .gov supported, IE CIA, ATF, etc., although this seems as a win. If they really need weapons they will contact our .gov directly instead of going to businesses directly. When it comes down to it, this is smoke and mirrors. Nothing against DTA. It is even more sickening when the .gov provides automatic arms freely to foreign nations and yet wants to remove all semi-auto arms here. "Don't mind the man behind the curtain..." AKA Do as I say, not as I do.

If its as it is made out to be, good on them. The quality and accuracy of their rifles are unquestionable. Other than that, Id like to hear what 0311 Hesco has to say on this..

I don't know how I feel about this. If the company thought it better not to take it, great. After the real story, whichever that is, comes out, I'll give them a call and say thanks if it is in order. Pakistani people are a genuinely decent people. What you hear about in the news is the northern tribes that have been around since before Pakistan was even a country. (Oh yea, don't believe everything you hear in the news, even Fox by the way.) They don't feel like they need a govt. so they just don't participate. They go off of their beliefs and side with the same. It is what it is. But remember, we supply their military with f-16s. Look it up.

I understand that it is easier to traffic firearms than war planes, but in all reality, like it has been said, someone else will pick up the contract. Again, it is what it is. That said, kudos to DTA. Better to let it be a European gun maker.
My disclaimer: I do not try to defend the Pakistanis all that much, but I know how easy it is to see a county with "-stan" in it that are of eastern decent and begin to make assumptions, I was guilty of it myself. But at the end of the day, they just want a safe place for their family to live; and they deal it accordingly. Remember, it's hard to be a Muslim country and be friends with the US.

Last edited:
Yes sir, not sure if you remember but we talked a little bit before on a very similar subject to this. I figured you probably know more about Pakistan than anyone thats commented so far. There may well be some rogue elements in the Pak Gov`t that we should truly watch out for but obviously the whole country does not think like that, else a terrorist would have gotten hold of a nuke or two a long time ago and turned more than a few of our troops in SW Asia to glass. Thanks for speaking on the subject sir. With all that said, if DTA decided to sell rifles to Pakistan, do you think any would end up in enemy hands to be used against our troops?

I don't know how I feel about this. If the company thought it better not to take it, great. After the real story, whichever that is, comes out, I'll give them a call and say thanks if it is in order. Pakistani people are a genuinely decent people. What you hear about in the news is the northern tribes that have been around since before Pakistan was even a country. (Oh yea, don't believe everything you hear in the news, even Fox by the way.) They don't feel like they need a govt. so they just don't participate. They go off of their beliefs and side with the same. It is what it is. But remember, we supply their military with f-16s. Look it up.

I understand that it is easier to traffic firearms than war planes, but in all reality, like it has been said, someone else will pick up the contract. Again, it is what it is. That said, kudos to DTA. Better to let it be a European gun maker.
My disclaimer: I do not try to defend the Pakistanis all that much, but I know how easy it is to see a county with "-stan" in it that are of eastern decent and begin to make assumptions, I was guilty of it myself. But at the end of the day, they just want a safe place for their family to live; and they deal it accordingly. Remember, it's hard to be a Muslim country and be friends with the US.

Thank you Hesco for a well thought out responce from someone who has unique insight into the country and it's people. I work with many Pakistanis and have found them for the most part to be decent and polite. I will say this however. There is often a clear difference between the government of any country and it's people. This is a country that was hesitant to support the US in our efforts to rid Afghanistan of its terrorist element and the government that supported them. We found UBL there and he was receiving help in Pakistan. The mission to capture/kill him was kept secret from Pakistan and I think that shows the extent that our own government trusts them to be our allies. Adding to the complex nature of the discussion is the fact that we also found him based on information from a Pakistani. There are no simple answers.

I agree, let a Europian company sell them easily trafficked small arms. Hopefully that weapon will be similar to the French chauchat. It's this kind of weapon that should fall into our enemies hands. Not a dig on the French, I'm just saying I hope that rifle is a piece of shit that kills more of its operators then our troops.

Last edited:
Yes sir, not sure if you remember but we talked a little bit before on a very similar subject to this. I figured you probably know more about Pakistan than anyone thats commented so far. There may well be some rogue elements in the Pak Gov`t that we should truly watch out for but obviously the whole country does not think like that, else a terrorist would have gotten hold of a nuke or two a long time ago and turned more than a few of our troops in SW Asia to glass. Thanks for speaking on the subject sir. With all that said, if DTA decided to sell rifles to Pakistan, do you think any would end up in enemy hands to be used against our troops?

Man, I love enlightening where I can, and learning more than that, but an EDUCATED guess on that is way above my pay grade. haha

Thanks for replying anyway. Do you get to shoot at all over there? As in, at the range, or even busting rocks in the desert? And whats the rifle selection like in the local markets? Besides AKs, is there any cool stuff, Dragunovs/SVDs maybe? Id HAVE to get ahold of a PKM. And have you ever got the chance to shoot a Dragunov? If so, howd it shoot?

Thanks again sir.

Unfortunately, my job is more on the technical side, and there is no Status Of Forces Agreement in place. Therefore, if I am shooting, it's a really, really bad day! I was leery about not having a weapon, but the money was right and this is only going to be a very temporary assignment, and there are financially and collateral "forces" if you will, as well as local security that provide a decent blanket of protection. When one person has all the gold, the others play nice.