• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Dual focal plane scopes

Tree

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 28, 2018
MN (Frozen tundra)
Why don't more manufacturers make 1-x variable scopes with a dual focal plane. Red dot on the second / reticle on the first. Weaver use too, up until the became part of the Bushnell family. I believe S&B has one but it runs about $4k. These would be great on an AR especially for 3-gun.

Likely because there isn’t much of a market for them.

Take a 1-8x optic, how often are you anywhere except 1 or 8x?

Most I know have a throw lever and just use one or the other.

I'm pretty dumb, but I thought this was headed towards the Quigley-Ford factory. I do, however, agree with @Dthomas3523 , I'm on 1x, or I'm on 6x. rarely, and I mean rarely, am i in between

I think minox does this on their 1-8. I get being on 1 or 8 and not in between, but it still seems like people tend to like the reticle on 1 or 8 but not both. Dual focal plane seems to be a way to get the best of both worlds.

So if everyone is on either 1 or 8 (max power) why are there 1-4, 1-6, 1-8, etc. I have the Weaver and have used power in-between depending on distance of targets needed to shoot. Our matches many times have targets at varing distances and being on 1 or max power isn't always the best option.

You certainly can be in between, and if you have a reason to be then no reason not to do it. I think you would be in the minority of users though that regularly use anything in between minimum or maximum power on these lpvo's.

Burris has a dual focal plane 1.5-8x
It never really took off, I would guess because it wasn't a true 1x, and it was also two feet long.

I like the idea of a duel focal plane, however probably not a big enough market to have manufacturers going after it.