• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

coues7

Private
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2007
White Mountains AZ
How come I never hear or see people using a PVS – 7versus dual PVS – 14? Looking to purchase some equipment for our company and want some night surveillance equipment.

No depth perception, both eyes are compromised (if you take the NV off, you're basically blind until eyes adjust), large unit (no VJJ jokes here). I think the monocular is the best entry level NV.
If you want dual NV, get the BNVD, Adams Sentinel, etc..

How come I never hear or see people using a PVS – 7versus dual PVS – 14? Looking to purchase some equipment for our company and want some night surveillance equipment.

Because your depth perception sucks with both eyes looking through one tube. I hate pvs7's. A single 14 is far better, and 2 14's are better yet.

If money is no issue what is the best thing? They will be used for surveillance and moving in on potential threats to security.

You may want to define what your intentions are for these and if they are to be used in conjunction with a weapon system or just a stand alone device. Also I believe that the PVS7 are slightly magnified too. I never had a problem using just one 14, two would be way to heavy and cumbersome. Some soldiers preferred the 7s to the 14 for night driving but I still thought the 14s worked better I am pretty sure there are better NVGs/NODs than either 7/14 models as both are really old. I am sure others will chime in on the newer stuff.

If moving around duals are my favorite as they give you depth to your FOV I can just walk around more natural. At times a single tube works best as you have one eye adjusted to normal lighting conditions sometimes with duals you could be standing in a more lighted area and not know it.Want both BNVD's run as dual tubes or flip up to single if needed best of both worlds.

Last edited:
We have customers that have used both the PVS-15's and the BNVD's and it ends up being a personal preference. One prefers the BNVD's while the other prefers the PVS-15's. ANVIS goggles can be used as ground mounts but are fragile and I would not recommend them for your type of scenario. You can also bridge (2) PVS-14's together for a dual mount system. Since they are detachable they can also be used as a force multiplier. If you are moving in on potential threats then you can use one to weapon mount behind an Aimpoint or EOTech for your shot. IR lasers of course are great but other people can own them too.

In this forum there are several members who have written about dual night vision systems: BNVD, PVS-15's, Sentinel (new to the market) and the D14 Dual Tube Mounting System
I2/MOD AN/PVS-14 Dual Tube Mounting System [I2/MOD PVS14 Dual Mount D14] - $550.00 : MODArmory, For All your Defense Needs

The other members are correct in stating that the PVS-7s do not provide depth perception and they are not as versatile.

Although hogs aren't quite human threats, it seems that many of the pictures show what appears to be dual Pvs-14's. I really don't know what is best. That's why everyone's opinions and experiences are so valuable.

I had the Dual PVS-14 setup, while depth perception is good, they're really heavy. I have been issued PVS-7s, PVS-14 (single), PVS-15s (dual tube) and ANVIS-6s for work against human threats. The PVS-7s are the worst of the options. I own the Sentinel and it's a great option. They're built like ANVIS but are more rugged than the ANVIS I used. You can get different mounts, battery packs, etc.. I think a very versatile setup. TNVC, ModArmory, ASM-1 all carry these.

If you're going to be out in the woods, I think the single PVS-14 is fine. For urban or driving, the dual tubes really make a difference.

I had the Dual PVS-14 setup, while depth perception is good, they're really heavy. I have been issued PVS-7s, PVS-14 (single), PVS-15s (dual tube) and ANVIS-6s for work against human threats. The PVS-7s are the worst of the options. I own the Sentinel and it's a great option. They're built like ANVIS but are more rugged than the ANVIS I used. You can get different mounts, battery packs, etc.. I think a very versatile setup. TNVC, ModArmory, ASM-1 all carry these.

If you're going to be out in the woods, I think the single PVS-14 is fine. For urban or driving, the dual tubes really make a difference.

Well Said, I agree Whole heartedly. May I ask, which Dual 14 set up did you use? We recommend a healthy (but easily removable during the day) counterweight with any dual set up. On the PVS-7s front, they are not a great option for navigating BUT we have some exciting new long range lens options for the 7 platform that will take them in a whole new direction.

We have customers that have used both the PVS-15's and the BNVD's and it ends up being a personal preference. One prefers the BNVD's while the other prefers the PVS-15's. ANVIS goggles can be used as ground mounts but are fragile and I would not recommend them for your type of scenario. You can also bridge (2) PVS-14's together for a dual mount system. Since they are detachable they can also be used as a force multiplier. If you are moving in on potential threats then you can use one to weapon mount behind an Aimpoint or EOTech for your shot. IR lasers of course are great but other people can own them too.

In this forum there are several members who have written about dual night vision systems: BNVD, PVS-15's, Sentinel (new to the market) and the D14 Dual Tube Mounting System
I2/MOD AN/PVS-14 Dual Tube Mounting System [I2/MOD PVS14 Dual Mount D14] - $550.00 : MODArmory, For All your Defense Needs

The other members are correct in stating that the PVS-7s do not provide depth perception and they are not as versatile.
I agree with you. But what's funny is that in 1/75 the individual has the choice of ANVIS or pvs-15's, and most guys tend to pick the ANVIS just because it's lighter, even though they loose focus often, and are prone to breaking in the field. I prefer 15's.

I have or have owned BNVD's, ANVIS -9s, Dual 14's and PVS-15's all in the last 18 months. My favorites were the BNVD's as they are built like a tank,very flexiable use wise single or dual,hand held feels like a pair of normal binos, and lighter than most other duals. The ANVIS- 9's are my second favorite based on comfort alone the lite weight and mount system just feels great for hours of extended use. 15's are tough also but they just felt heavier on my helmet setup same for the dual 14's mostlikey because I was spoiled to the ANVIS 9 and BNVD's. Performance wise all the systems rocked even on the darkest nights. PVS-7's really get a bad wrap now-a-days but they still have a few strong points. First the can be bought much cheaper "used" vs a 14 being less flexiable system no as many people interested in them, second they have less eye strain during extend use vs a mono same as a dual tube system, optics are great so image is very nice with a good tube. My wife prefers the 7's when she goes out with me and yes you have no depth to the FOV but thats no different than using a PVS-14 on a very dark night when you non NV eye is useless walking.On a moon light night I do use my non NV eye to move around as I can see with it also. I like a 14 myself its just a more flexiable system but PVS-7's are a very capable system and weapon system when used it a IR laser.

Last edited:
I haven't had the pleasureof using BNVD's, but I would like too. I've tried most everything else, with the exception of 21's and other almost unobtainable units in the same class.

I haven't had the pleasureof using BNVD's, but I would like too. I've tried most everything else, with the exception of 21's and other almost unobtainable units in the same class.

Hope you get a chance to play with the BNVD's. They have been a great seller for many years now for a reason. They are really built like a tank as Phantom pointed out, along with a great IR illuminator and having the option of swiveling one or both units out of the way is a very advantageous feature when you have to have one eye open to the dark adapted world. BNVD-G Dual Gain Control Gen3 PINNACLE ? Tactical Night Vision Company

Edit, One of the newest releases of the BNVD's is the singe gain control over the dual gain units I linked to above. http://tnvc.com/shop/bnvd-1g-single-gain-control-gen3-pinnacle/

Vic

Last edited:

Also, let me know what your specific "surveillance" requirements are in regards to distance, target size, camera and/or video adaptable etc. along with your environment which can play a major role. First need your specific mission requirements, then plan the gear according to that. PM sent. Thanks.

Vic

Hope you get a chance to play with the BNVD's. They have been a great seller for many years now for a reason. They are really built like a tank as Phantom pointed out, along with a great IR illuminator and having the option of swiveling one or both units out of the way is a very advantageous feature when you have to have one eye open to the dark adapted world. BNVD-G Dual Gain Control Gen3 PINNACLE ? Tactical Night Vision Company

Edit, One of the newest releases of the BNVD's is the singe gain control over the dual gain units I linked to above. BNVD-SG Single Gain Control Gen3 PINNACLE ? Tactical Night Vision Company

Vic
Ain't gunna happen on VA disability brother! Makes for a good wet dream though! My experience pools from military use, which is where most of it comes from, and doing reviews of NV products. Speaking of which, I'm doing a civ illuminator review of several units of different manufacture, so if you've got an old beat up Torch laying around that you want to send me for 30 days, I'll include it and pay the shipping back. I am saving my pennies for a dual tube setup, but by the time I get there, they wont be all high speed anymore. Oh well, I'll still sport them.

You shouldn't have posted that link, now I'm saving quarters. I'll be getting there 25 times faster!

Ain't gunna happen on VA disability brother! Makes for a good wet dream though! My experience pools from military use, which is where most of it comes from, and doing reviews of NV products. Speaking of which, I'm doing a civ illuminator review of several units of different manufacture, so if you've got an old beat up Torch laying around that you want to send me for 30 days, I'll include it and pay the shipping back. I am saving my pennies for a dual tube setup, but by the time I get there, they wont be all high speed anymore. Oh well, I'll still sport them.

Brother you're always HIGH SPEED, I KNOW BETTER! ;-)

Listen we just had a shoot at the latest Rock Castle 3 gun shoot. In fact, we had a lot of wounded Warriors that made their way down to the famed Cave Shoot. Some with one leg, some with neither. We even had a guy who came down with no legs and missing his left arm. We kitted him up and our Kyle asked him if he wanted him to carry him through the course of fire. His response that he didn’t think he could manipulate the weapon correctly so, Kyle lifted him up off the table, pointed down the cave and said, “Go that way”. Off he went and he completed the course under his own power. On the way back through, he thanked us for getting to have such a great time. HUGE kudos to that proud Warrior and I would not ever, ever want to be on the wrong side of that Vet period.

Vic

Brother you're always HIGH SPEED, I KNOW BETTER! ;-)

Listen we just had a shoot at the latest Rock Castle 3 gun shoot. In fact, we had a lot of wounded Warriors that made their way down to the famed Cave Shoot. Some with one leg, some with neither. We even had a guy who came down with no legs and missing his left arm. We kitted him up and our Kyle asked him if he wanted him to carry him through the course of fire. His response that he didn’t think he could manipulate the weapon correctly so, Kyle lifted him up off the table, pointed down the cave and said, “Go that way”. Off he went and he completed the course under his own power. On the way back through, he thanked us for getting to have such a great time. HUGE kudos to that proud Warrior and I would not ever, ever want to be on the wrong side of that Vet period.

Vic
Thanks! That is high praise!
Those guys embarrass the shit out of me. Same compensation I get, yet I've got all my limbs. Two of them don't work on command, but they are there minus small pieces. I wish I had the intestinal fortitude guys like that have, seriously. That's a true warrior.

I added a pound and a half weight to my helmet (might be off just a little on weight) and it makes my bnvd very comfortable. I also tried a cheap helmet to start with, bad, bad mistake. Spend the bucks and purchase quality. There is nothing worse than being on a great hunt and having your helmet spending more time on your nose than your head. It is hard to shoot when you are blind!

Well Said, I agree Whole heartedly. May I ask, which Dual 14 set up did you use? We recommend a healthy (but easily removable during the day) counterweight with any dual set up. On the PVS-7s front, they are not a great option for navigating BUT we have some exciting new long range lens options for the 7 platform that will take them in a whole new direction.

I used the NVision mount (Wilcox adapter) and did have a counterweight system. From using the PVS-15 and ANVIS from work, it was just heavier.

LOL the N-Vision mount All the weight and non of the versatility. It literally inspired us to do our dual tube mount that actually works. Yeah Ours may be heavier but properly counter-weighted ours does some amazing things! Yep 15s and ANVIS will be lighter. Just last night I was out on a Boat running ANVIS goggles and I was totally reminded of how light they are and the mount is second to none for Position and ease of use. But in the end they are just dedicated Dual tubes... can't weapons mount them or use em on the back of a spotting scope.