• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dual spotter/LRF mount

CoryT

Gunsite Rangemaster
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 5, 2004
    Paulden, AZ
    www.gunsite.com
    I'm building some dual mounts based on the Manfrotto RC2 quick release system. These are designed to hold a Leupold Mk4 and a Vector/PLRF or similar LRF so you can use both on a single tripod mount. Here's a couple pics of the prototype

BracketSystem1.jpg

BracketSystem2.jpg

These will have a shorter piece of Pic rail for mounting a DBAL/ATPIAL or similar illuminator for NVG use. The L will clamp directly to a Manfrotto RC2 equipped head. The finished unit will be sprayed Coyote Tan Ceracoat. The two RC2 release bases will come with plates.

This system puts the two optics in coincidence and places the oculars in the same plane, making is easy to go from one to the other.

I've got material to make 4, if you are interested in getting one let me know with a PM. Final cost should be < $150 shipped, trying to get a deal on bulk orders of the Manfrotto bases.

Cory I was curious if this would work with a kowa spotter and newcon 4500 range finder binos

i'll take one, if it works with Swarovski LRF

Last edited:
    The Kowa is no problem, give me the measurement to the edge of the Newcon to the center of the tripod mount hole and I'll make sure you've got enough space. I'm just cutting these now, took a while to get all the parts.

Ill take one. Just make it like for vectors. I haven't figured out how to pm yet on new system

I am still interested. PM'd you a couple of times about this last month but that got deleted.

I'm in! Already have thé Manfrotto.
    I've got a Bushnell spotting scope (Leupold MkIV style), Bushnell ARC LRF and ATPIAL.

SO interested

This is an awesome idea. Totally to going to borrow your idea to fit my Bushnell/Vortex combo. I'm sure mine won't be as slick as yours though... :)

Cory,

Sorry to necro this post. Did you ever finish this and come up with a price?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

best way to pair a laser range finder with a spotter is the Ashbury mount, you can also pair the 2 reticles, look in the spotting and forget the laser..

Sure. But The retail price is not exactly the same. And how do you fix the mount to the spotting scope?

about the price you are right, but if you use the Ashbury mount you can pair the 2 reticles, this mount has the possibility to use windage and elevation correction, my procedure is, look to a target with the spotting scope located for example at 2000 meters ( depends of what I want to do ) and after using the 2 knobs I put the reticle of the Vectronix over the center of the spotting scope reticle.

to attact the Ashbury mount you need a rail on the spotting scope..

IMG_0370.jpg

IMG_0369.jpg

PB190031.jpg

PB190028.jpg

IMG_0454.jpg

IMG_0453.jpg

here the mount on a Leupold Mark IV with the Badger NV mount

if you using a PDA with a software you can laser several targets, with the trigger control on the cable you have and immediate solution, looking only through the spotting scope

Last edited:
    Right.

(I was sure to know you... :D)

Well, I'm using a Bushnell spotting scope (the same as the Leupold one), and I'm searching for a mount able to bear either the spotting scope and my laser.

Ciao bello!

Yep, this one is ok, but it's always out of stock. Anyway, I was searching for a cheapier one, but that's right, this is the best set up for me. NV capable, spotting scope and LRF compatible

best way to pair a laser range finder with a spotter is the Ashbury mount, you can also pair the 2 reticles, look in the spotting and forget the laser..

At $700, it's nice if you have deep pockets. Cory is making me a dual mount as soon as SHOT is over. $150ish. I like how you used the RAM mount to hold your Nomad. I'm working on a similar setup, minus the Ashbury.

In the last photo, what part is that that allows the RAM ball to mount to the picatinny? I'm trying to build the same setup for my Nomad.

Just got the APO SST-3S kit with the electro-optic rail grabber. The rail grabber seems to have some right cant to it. I took the rubber cover off of the 10C to see if that had something to do with it. No difference with the cover removed. Still waiting on the data cable to integrate it with the Nomad. Taking it to the field for the first time this weekend. Will report on how it works out.

Attachments

• IMG_1427 - 2014-01-14 at 19-42-23.jpg
      IMG_1427 - 2014-01-14 at 19-42-23.jpg
      176.6 KB · Views: 52
    • IMG_1430 - 2014-01-14 at 19-43-19.jpg
      IMG_1430 - 2014-01-14 at 19-43-19.jpg
      206.9 KB · Views: 50
    • IMG_1431 - 2014-01-14 at 19-43-55.jpg
      IMG_1431 - 2014-01-14 at 19-43-55.jpg
      165.8 KB · Views: 44
    • IMG_1428 - 2014-01-14 at 19-42-32.jpg
      IMG_1428 - 2014-01-14 at 19-42-32.jpg
      122.7 KB · Views: 49
    Last edited:
    Just got the APO SST-3S kit with the electro-optic rail grabber. The rail grabber seems to have some right cant to it. I took the rubber cover off of the 10C to see if that had something to do with it. No difference with the cover removed. Still waiting on the data cable to integrate it with the Nomad. Taking it to the field for the first time this weekend. Will report on how it works out.

in your pictures I see an item between the PLRF and the Ashbury mount, why ?

in the PLRF you have 2 holes, the smaller one is for a little pin, I've added this one ( gunsmith job ) on my Ashbury mount and when I pair PLRF and mount there is no way to loose alignment, rock solid..

to mount without cant just flip over the rubber cover....works for me..

Dual spotter/LRF mount

in your pictures I see an item between the PLRF and the Ashbury mount, why ?

in the PLRF you have 2 holes, the smaller one is for a little pin, I've added this one ( gunsmith job ) on my Ashbury mount and when I pair PLRF and mount there is no way to loose alignment, rock solid..

to mount without cant just flip over the rubber cover....works for me..

This is how I received it from APO. The extra spacer plate on top raises the LRF above the adjustment mechanism but it has a cant machined into it. Must be for a specific device the military is using. I'll remove it and try to mount the LRF without the cant. I'll also contact APO and see if there is another adapter plate that is level.

ymy8e4ur.jpg

edudy9uh.jpg

Here's the latest evolution of the kit

APO TACT3-S tripod
    APO TIM
    APO Electro-optic rail grabber
    Leupold MK 4 spotter with Triad cover
    Vectronix 10 C
    Trimble Nomad 900 with Field Firing Solutions Delta V
    Alamo Four Star DLOC C
    RAM mount for Nomad

Attachments

• DSC_0030 - 2014-01-31 at 18-18-01.jpg
      DSC_0030 - 2014-01-31 at 18-18-01.jpg
      121.8 KB · Views: 49
    • DSC_0031 - 2014-01-31 at 18-18-18.jpg
      DSC_0031 - 2014-01-31 at 18-18-18.jpg
      132.7 KB · Views: 45
    • DSC_0032 - 2014-01-31 at 18-18-36.jpg
      DSC_0032 - 2014-01-31 at 18-18-36.jpg
      126.6 KB · Views: 40
    Cory, is there anyway to mount a PVS 22/27 in front of your spotter as well? Just curious. And could this be used if not with a Leupold compact 15-30. Hopfully I am not causing difficulty. Disregard if so. Thanks

A question for One Shot or anyone that might know. Which A.R.M.S. mount is that you are using to connect the Ram mount to hold your Nomad? Also is it the ( RAM-101U-247-25 ) 2.5" or (RAM-101U-247-3) 3" Arm from Ram?

Thanks,
    Andrew

This is how I received it from APO. The extra spacer plate on top raises the LRF above the adjustment mechanism but it has a cant machined into it. Must be for a specific device the military is using. I'll remove it and try to mount the LRF without the cant. I'll also contact APO and see if there is another adapter plate that is level.

Anarchist how did you get that APO Electro-optic rail grabber cant issue resolved? Seems some are shipping without a cant (as you'd expect), did you receive a faulty one?

Anarchist how did you get that APO Electro-optic rail grabber cant issue resolved? Seems some are shipping without a cant (as you'd expect), did you receive a faulty one?

It was one of those "duh?" moments. There are two bolts that go up through the bottom to hold the adapter block onto what is essentially an Elcan mount. Once you loosen these, the adapter block can be adjusted. The block has a V shape on the bottom, so it can be canted to either side depending on where you position it.