• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dumb AICS mag question...

Sixfivesavage

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 30, 2013
Maryland
Well, I'm not sure if I should ask here or in the gunsmithing section but anyway, I had a rifle built on a rebel action and its in a manners mini chassis. The smith didn't like the way it bolted up so he bedded it. I've never had a DBM on a rifle before so I'm not sure if it feeds hard or not. It doesn't jam or nose dive, just hard to cycle and not smooth feeding. It's a true AI mag with the front plate, 142 match kings from copper creek. I know it's hard to say without trying yourself, but should it feed harder than a factory box mag? How high should the mag sit in the action? It isn't hard to seat a full 10 round mag on a closed bolt so does that seem like its sitting lower than it should?

The first round out of a full mag can be harder. The reason is higher mag spring tension with a full mag. Also friction from each round in the mag because the stack gets compressed as the first round exits and turns nose up on the feed ramp. The remedy is to adjust the feed lips to allow a more nose up position of the top round. It doesn't take much to make a big difference.

That was my thinking until I took notice of the fully loaded mag not being hard to seat with a closed bolt. Makes me think that the bedding has raised the action too much in relation to the mag.

The first round out of a full mag can be harder. The reason is higher mag spring tension with a full mag. Also friction from each round in the mag because the stack gets compressed as the first round exits and turns nose up on the feed ramp. The remedy is to adjust the feed lips to allow a more nose up position of the top round. It doesn't take much to make a big difference.

When you make this adjustment do you open up the front feed lips or close down the rear?
Thx

Trauma1

Open it by dremel away material or bending? Thx

Trauma1

Guess I run my bolt so hard I never noticed...I'll pay more attention from now on. Haven't noticed on either my 700 or my AE.

You can make or buy a tool like this from Brownells. H-S Precision feed lip tool.

MAGAZINE FEED LIPTOOL | Brownells PRECISION

Carefully open up the front by lifting the forward edges up ever so slightly keeping the lips in a straight line. Not all manufactures use the same gage metal so don't go all gorilla on it. AI's are the strongest. It doesn't take much to make a big difference in how it feels.

Sixfivesavage
I can't comment on whether your height is correct. A little low just increases the attack angle of the round exiting the magazine. Too low and the bolt rides over the round as it turns nose up exiting the mag. I'm sure there is a grey middle area but that's one of those things I would have to see it to make a call. I would think tweaking the feed lips would solve your problem. Also converting your action to take AW double stack mags makes it feed so much easier. Rounds come out sideways with little compression of the mag.

Thank you for the recommendations/suggestions, as I need to work on a couple magazines! Perfect timing.