• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Dumb shit you do/done with nv or thermal

Jgunner

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 29, 2019
    Arizona
    Tell your funny or dumb stuff you do or have done with nv or thermal!

Ill go first. Me and a buddy go out to a new area to try and hunt coyotes. Desert area. Heard coyotes out there as its by a bunch of farms and not much else.

so we make a stand that only had rats and rabbits running around. Time to move. Try a stand we had no faith in, wind was WRONG, our placement WRONG, call location kinda wrong but we were testing the waters. Light off the caller and after a few minutes i see a coyote cross ahead around 200-300 yards. Dumb ass walked right past a rabbit. He goes out into the field and winds us but is a pup and doesn’t know better, but is hung up at 150 yards and inwas trying to get my buddy to pop him with nv instead of me getting all the kills with thermal. I look left and there is a second dog who will NOT cross the fence line for love or money. I am trying to get my buddy on him but no dice. Dogs leave.

So we drive around a bit and try another stand with no luck. We stop to piss and i scan with my Halo LR and see some heat to what looks about 300 yards. Could be pigs, dogs or a rabbit orgy(yeah, seen that before). So i take off on foot cause there was a fence in the way. I keep checking every 100 yards or so but I don’t seem to be getting much closer. Odd. At around 1000 yards out i know i am not looking at what i was hoping but my curiosity was getting to me. Well at 2000 yards according to my watch i am 400 yard from a bunch of bedded cows. Sigh. Not much in the area to base distance off of and super flat. Had 6000 steps from 12:00-2:45 am. Never seen cows show up that hot before at that distance, if only my halo had a lrf. Ha!

Last edited:
    First time out with my Reap 35. Driving the buggy to a feeder setup and pulled into a field right at dusk. Two hogs popped up 150 yards or so out that were bedded under a lone pine tree in the field which was overgrown CRP.

Neither my hunting buddy or I had fired up our scopes so kind of all at the same time I braked the buggy, shouldered the rifle, and punched the power. His Pulsar fired up first and he was on them but waiting for me.

Scope fires up, I have a clear hot spot under the tree and we do a quick 3-2-1 Fire. I clearly saw hot matter spray at impact and thought for sure a pig was down. So we start walking to the spot and he is going right and me left and he was asking where I was going. He then told me the hogs had run right while I was waiting on my scope to fire up. I had no clue.

Found out what I had shot was the bedding spot under the pine tree which was on an old terrace that gave an outline tilt towards me. Bullet impact right in the middle. Matter I saw flying was warm earth.

We still chuckle about that one but it did make us both appreciate the heat signature and detail the Trijicon is able to pick up.

I know we had some E types burnt in to some old school sniper night sight. Apparently the guys before me were idiots. Probably assaulters.

Chased raccoons around the pasture. They looked very confused, like they couldn't figure out how I could see them in the dark. They tried to hide behind some trees and I chased them around the trees. It was funny when they would peek around the corner of the tree and I would yell "I see you" and would start running around the trees chasing them until they ran up into the trees. They haven't returned. I'm sure my neighbor was wondering what the heck I was doing (he probably just thought I was drunk).

I used to drive really fast through the woods with NODs on, it was fun. I need to black out the lights in my POV to do it.

Shot some coyotes but that wasn't dumb.

Every now and then I get a little motivated and start shooting at night from the laundry room window at my 100 yard steel with NV. I'm not sure the mother in-law is so thrilled, but

High rack in the back of the Jeep, thermal only, driver had zero NVG and we were cruising along without white light, no moon:

Driver could not see a 4 foot drop off and neither could I. I thought I could see everything - wrong. We were cruising along at a solid 5mph or less, coming up to what looked like a small dip. That small dip turned out to be a 4 foot drop, right into the off side of a creek bank. There's a lot of support built into the high rack to include horizontal and vertical bars. While I was so happy I didn't get racked, I could hardly breathe because I got the wind nocked out of me.

After we gave it our best college try of getting that sucker unstuck, it was time to head back and get the pick-up. It was a warm summer night and I had about 400 yards of what felt like the tallest grass around thanks to a perfectly manicured hay field. I was wearing flip flops and shorts which made for a very shitty time avoiding anything that could resemble a copper head or rattler.

Lucked out on both fronts. Didn't brake a bone. No snake bite.

Lesson learned: NVG or bust. Be prepared to walk.

Mine is dumb shit I almost did.

I've got a 22 set up to snipe rabbits out of my garden. I'm out one night and didn't see any and am just scanning around a bit. There is a berm next to my house that is about 6 feet above the lawn and it runs away from the house about 50 yards. I saw what I thought was a rabbit, kinda hopin along so I settle in, off goes the safety, start breathe control and wait, it's movements were weird to me so I just paused and watched for a bit. All of a sudden I could see tree branches swaying near the "rabbit". I know those branches are 4 feet or so off the ground so something is not right so I wait. After maybe a minute I could see it was a whitetail walking up to the edge of the berm, its body was obscured by the tall grass and our elevation difference so all I saw was its head. I almost shot a doe, thinking it was a rabbit.

#1 -- Spend >$300K on the world's coolest NV and thermal only to hand it over to a group of well-dressed fellers in black SUVs.

#2 -- Roll your Ranger into a swamp on a deserted dirt road at midnight and watch $60K in NODs sink into the murky depths.

#3 -- Put a PVS-14 behind a scope on a .308 and watch big, black splotches form with every shot.

#1 -- Spend >$300K on the world's coolest NV and thermal only to hand it over to a group of well-dressed fellers in black SUVs.

#2 -- Roll your Ranger into a swamp on a deserted dirt road at midnight and watch $60K in NODs sink into the murky depths.

#3 -- Put a PVS-14 behind a scope on a .308 and watch big, black splotches form with every shot.
    Spoken like a real man that has been in the ring for 12 rounds and survived. (y)

On second thoughts make that 15 rounds.

I was working 7 days a week, dark to dark for like 3 weeks on a pipeline project. I fell behind on lawn mowing so I said screw it. Threw on the helmet with dual PVS14s and mowed for an hour at 10 o’clock. It looked a little crooked but got the job done.

I was working 7 days a week, dark to dark for like 3 weeks on a pipeline project. I fell behind on lawn mowing so I said screw it. Threw on the helmet with dual PVS14s and mowed for an hour at 10 o’clock. It looked a little crooked but got the job done.

Hate to tell you, bro... but we've ALL mowed our lawns under NODs. It's like a right of passage or something.

Next Up on your list: Sex under NODs.

$10,000 solution to a $200 problem.

Had a $200 FI tracking collar on a dog fall off on the farm. My daughter and I couldn’t find it one afternoon. $200 lost.

Later that night I put it into “lost dog” mode so that it flashed and went out for it on a four wheeler with a pair of DTNVGs. After a false start seeing a pulsing glow worm under a log, I located the collar hung up under brambles. $200 found.

$10,000 solution to a $200 problem.

Had a $200 FI tracking collar on a dog fall off on the farm. My daughter and I couldn’t find it one afternoon. $200 lost.

Later that night I put it into “lost dog” mode so that it flashed and went out for it on a four wheeler with a pair of DTNVGs. After a false start seeing a pulsing glow worm under a log, I located the collar hung up under brambles. $200 found.
    $9,800- slowly earning the cost back :)

Here I thought I was part of a rare elite group of nocturnal landscapers but instead you crush a guy’s world just like that? Not one thread on here dissecting the intricacies of nighttime mowing, never in a TNVC training class, nothing. But I’m supposed to believe every Tom, Dick, and Harry with digital NV has performed midnight foliage maintenance? Pffft! I’m special.....

I got a little cocky and decided that I would take my tactical scooter across a field to cut off some song dogs at the pass, but didn't see the bump in the knee high grass.
    Folded the seat post, broke my trigger stick and landed on my thermion, that was luckily tucked away in the gunslinger pack.
    Normally I carry it across my legs.
    The bungee saved my pvs 7 and I had the thermal spotter tucked away in my bibs.
    Banged the thermion so bad, I missed a coyote at 45 yards.
    I almost shot a transformer that was across a valley from me one night.
    The wind was moving the trees and it kept playing peek a boo while I was glassing from a tree stand.
    I got it in my sights and then saw the pole it was on.
    That would've been embarrassing.

I used my thermal to find roof leaks in a huge old warehouse type building. I'd stand inside, see the water leaks laser tape the 2 walls and go onto the roof and locate and fix the areas.

While looking around inside at places and equipement...I swept across some people working inside and found I could see thru clothing to some degree. Felt like a total creeper, but was surprised to find you can tell what type of underwear the women wore.

Fun and games till the gal on the line that was pushing 300 didn't seem to be wearing anything and that image killed it for me and my CO worker. Did make for a laugh tho.

A8801889-7F17-4FFA-B71D-B6DD8FC516B3.gif

• Haha
    Reactions: TheHorta
    I got burned out of late landscaping in Alaska during the summer. Nothing like a midnight neighbor mowing the lawn and not realizing it was midnight. Land of the midnight sun.

This is the ‘hide, you know we moved past green phosphorous. That’s so ‘90s
    Yeah, I hear that a lot.

Be careful with the "green phosphorous" though, that sh^t is dangerous.

The Green Phosphor subject matter experts will be around shortly to have a conversation with you.

I have both White and Green and actually prefer the Green better. YMMV.

White Phosphorus, I saw them in a club one night, they rocked ! 🤘
    I prefer green crayons and green pho too.

Alright dude, gotta tell us about the 300k NV being handed over to some "well-dressed fellers in black SUV's."

After seeing your SCAR 20 setup, I figured you'd have some fucking killer hardware. That's badass and I am hyper jealous!! LMAO!!!

Hate to tell you, bro... but we've ALL mowed our lawns under NODs. It's like a right of passage or something.

Next Up on your list: Sex under NODs.
    Mehhh- Over rated. She had two black eyes and a busted lip. Now she wont do it again. And you think your neck hurts after taking a long walk ?

On the other hand....chase a little naked woman around the house a couple times, and your CQB movement skills will rock

Last edited:
    Alright dude, gotta tell us about the 300k NV being handed over to some "well-dressed fellers in black SUV's."

After seeing your SCAR 20 setup, I figured you'd have some fucking killer hardware. That's badass and I am hyper jealous!! LMAO!!!
    Story has been told here a couple times and other forums if you do a little digging. Not many people out there have played hide and seek with 300k worth of uncle sugars toys and still around to talk about it openly 😂

I was the foreman at a glass company,talked my boss into buying thermals(1996)to show customers heat/AC loss through windows/doors.....sold a lot of jobs going to customers houses at night....Every weekend I was out in the woods with them,amazing what's out there.

Tell your funny or dumb stuff you do or have done with nv or thermal!

Ill go first. Me and a buddy go out to a new area to try and hunt coyotes. Desert area. Heard coyotes out there as its by a bunch of farms and not much else.

so we make a stand that only had rats and rabbits running around. Time to move. Try a stand we had no faith in, wind was WRONG, our placement WRONG, call location kinda wrong but we were testing the waters. Light off the caller and after a few minutes i see a coyote cross ahead around 200-300 yards. Dumb ass walked right past a rabbit. He goes out into the field and winds us but is a pup and doesn’t know better, but is hung up at 150 yards and inwas trying to get my buddy to pop him with nv instead of me getting all the kills with thermal. I look left and there is a second dog who will NOT cross the fence line for love or money. I am trying to get my buddy on him but no dice. Dogs leave.

So we drive around a bit and try another stand with no luck. We stop to piss and i scan with my Halo LR and see some heat to what looks about 300 yards. Could be pigs, dogs or a rabbit orgy(yeah, seen that before). So i take off on foot cause there was a fence in the way. I keep checking every 100 yards or so but I don’t seem to be getting much closer. Odd. At around 1000 yards out i know i am not looking at what i was hoping but my curiosity was getting to me. Well at 2000 yards according to my watch i am 400 yard from a bunch of bedded cows. Sigh. Not much in the area to base distance off of and super flat. Had 6000 steps from 12:00-2:45 am. Never seen cows show up that hot before at that distance, if only my halo had a lrf. Ha!
    Great story - thanks for sharing it.

Dumbest thing I ever did was buy one. Now I am in a financial-mental Jiu Jitsu mode of justification that leads me into untold depths of illogical reasoning. I held these beliefs prior to thermal, but now I am 100% convinced college educations are a farce and will be unimportant to my child. I am also convinced I have to procure NODS just in case we get into a "Red Dawn" type scenario and I have to start, or join, The Wolverines.

Dumbest thing I ever did was buy one. Now I am in a financial-mental Jiu Jitsu mode of justification that leads me into untold depths of illogical reasoning. I held these beliefs prior to thermal, but now I am 100% convinced college educations are a farce and will be unimportant to my child. I am also convinced I have to procure NODS just in case we get into a "Red Dawn" type scenario and I have to start, or join, The Wolverines.

Welcome, dear brother.

FC8D4258-94A1-46AF-8FFF-25D224615CCF.png

If someone has the time to find the threads with THEHORTA stories, post them up. I have read them before and they are great. Sorry THEHORTA but they are. They should be their own thread and stuck to the top. Could save someone money and misery.

If someone has the time to find the threads with THEHORTA stories, post them up. I have read them before and they are great. Sorry THEHORTA but they are. They should be their own thread and stuck to the top. Could save someone money and misery.
    I almost wrote the same thing. Problem is people never learn unless they learn it directly, where others get scared by grey market stuff and whatever the perst 3 market is.

truth be told, i come into this section 50% of the time to see shit the horta has this week of unobtanium for poors like myself and listen to the funny shit he says. Might have a man crush, but you can’t prove it! Haha

I almost wrote the same thing. Problem is people never learn unless they learn it directly, where others get scared by grey market stuff and whatever the perst 3 market is.

truth be told, i come into this section 50% of the time to see shit the horta has this week of unobtanium for poors like myself and listen to the funny shit he says. Might have a man crush, but you can’t prove it! Haha
    Mutual man crush. 🥰

• Haha
    Reactions: Jgunner
    I waiting for the book to come out.

The Life & Times Of Outlaw Willie Horta. :LOL:

With special guest chapters written by the men in black suits and sunglasses.

Last edited: