• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dummy round question

AIdog

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2013
NLT, NV
www.indiandogs.com
I recently bought some .308 "snap caps" expecting to get some good practice in with them working on getting rid of flinching. Having them randomly mixed in the magazine with live rounds at the range sounded like a good plan right? BUT, the problem is when cycling the bolt it is easy to tell the difference between live rounds and the dummy rounds. I was thinking about making my own so the feel is the same, using the same components minus the primer and powder. Does anybody see any problems with this approach?

I've made several rounds w/o powder and primer just to make sure my equipment is set up properly. As long as you make sure to mark them somehow to make sure you don't confuse live rounds for your dummy ones. I use a sharpie.

First let me say I'm by know means an expert in marksmanship. However, like most involuntary responses exposure really is the only way to rid yourself of the flinches, twitches or jitters. I think snap caps are great for ensuring a steady trigger "push" but it's up to you to convince your subconscious that loud bang is your own doing and isn't going to kill you. Just my humble opinion. YMMV

I've had the same idea and have over the past few months bought a couple of sets of snap caps. I've yet to find any that actually fit my rifles (despite them being marked as .308).

First let me say I'm by know means an expert in marksmanship. However, like most involuntary responses exposure really is the only way to rid yourself of the flinches, twitches or jitters. I think snap caps are great for ensuring a steady trigger "push" but it's up to you to convince your subconscious that loud bang is your own doing and isn't going to kill you. Just my humble opinion. YMMV

Trust me, Ive tried "convincing" myself that a controlled explosion near my face is going to be OK

I've had the same idea and have over the past few months bought a couple of sets of snap caps. I've yet to find any that actually fit my rifles (despite them being marked as .308).

my snap caps are getting returned and just making my own dummy rounds from now on... the snap caps are too fake and even feel fake when chambering in rifle so they defeat the whole purpose of the practice

Ever notice anyone using full-auto? They don't flinch at all.... Ever.

It's all in the mind. Flinching is you expecting to do the job your rifle is supposed to do. It recoils, not you. You have other things you should be doing. It is your mind. Evidence? You try to convince yourself controlled explosions near your face is Ok.

Last edited: