• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Duplex Powder Loads for Heavy 308

pawprint2

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2012
How many of you guys are mixing powders for your heavy bullets, 190-220 grain 308 loads? I've been working with 10 grains of bullseys topped with 40 grains H1000, works great, less than 1/2MOA, all day everyday! I decided on the double based bullseye to really help me light off that slow burning H1000-and keep the pressure up longer thus giving me some good high end speed, for example: with the 190SMKS I'm pushed right at 2900fps, on a cold day! No need for a mag primer, that bullseye really gets things going quick. I worked up some great tri-ples loads for my 45ACP, but the biggest boosts have been with the duplex in the 308. I know P.O. Ackley is looking down on my loads with pride, his work with cases etc (I know were all familiar with his work) would have progressed to duplexing with the newer powders, had he had more time here with us. I looking forward to trying some of these magic loads in both a 30-30 (for an old 94Win) and a 338WM to be loaded for a BAR! Can't wait to see the expression on my buddies faces when they see chrono going through the roof. Any of you old time loaders have any suggested starting points for these bad boys? I'm going to load one at time on the 30-30, no need to worry about those sharp tips, I'm starting out with the 180SMKs, I believe I can get standard 308 vel, with a little luck, now with the 338 forget about it, that dude's going to really surprise some the 338LM guys! Thanks in advace for any help, I know most of these loads are "family secrets", but just between us, a little help would be great!
Thought I'd have a little fun on april 1ST!

Last edited:
Don't know that I would go that route, but when recently researching the Savage 50-cal muzzleloader that burns smokeless powder, I was somewhat surprised to learn that duplex loads are not uncommon. Obviously, it's a different animal firing relatively light bullets using sabots in a large bore.

Also ran across this on the 'net:

arkaboom01.jpg

Link to source: Duplex Powder Loading Causes Catastrophic AR15 Kaboom « Daily Bulletin

Um...yeah. I think we have covered this subject in fine form here:
http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/sniper-hide-gunsmithing/180650-input-what-happened-brass.html

Do what you want. If you want performance and how from a 190gr SMK then build you an 06. I have a built '06 and can only acheive 2880fps with the 190. That still gets me to ~1400yds well and a mile with acceptable and expected accuracy YMMV.
If you have good life insurance and plenty of guns/money to ruin, then by all means impress the late Mr. Ackley all you like. I think its a little crazy myself but then I am a pussy when it comes to playing with shit that can kill you.

Are you using a copper crush cup or a strain gauge to measure pressure? You may be on to some really good stuff if these loads are staying under 60ksi

pawprint2,
I am the all time high number of posts on rec.guns, the forum before the www gun forums like SH.
I have read it all over and over.

But this is the first time I have seen anyone post his own duplex loads.

Over the last 20 years I have seen gun posts get dumber and dumber, so I did not expect to see this.

What does it all mean?
Congrats, and keep up the good work.

it' s astonishing how all have forgotten to add the most important item for these reloading recipes/experiments: the LONG string to pull the trigger!

even if an APril fools deal, its not the brightest thing in the world to put into print as some dufus is going to read it, not realize its april 1 and then commence to blow himself up. Ok, it might clean the genepool a bit, but its probably not a good thing overall.....

And I was just fixin to offer to fund some of the experimentation if he would just only add me as a benificary to his life insurance policy . . . .

it' s astonishing how all have forgotten to add the most important item for these reloading recipes/experiments: the LONG string to pull the trigger!
Long sitting hell . I just drop mine into a friends ammo box in the range bag and ask him later how things went.

Oh, and another word of advice. Don't use the friend with the ugly wife b/c she will always be asking you to come over and help unclog the toilet. DAMHIK

My father designed some guns, got patents, and contracts when he sold to the American military: the M55 [Israel still uses them], M107, and M110 [that fought in Vietnam], the constant recoil force for 6 shots ultra light XM70, and others.

When I told him I have been pulling a trigger string during experiments, he told me that is how he started out too.