• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Duplicating M1 and M2 Ball

Anvil_X

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 24, 2012
AK
so I'm looking to get some reloading done for my 1903A3, and was curious if you gents had any suggestions or recipes for loading up rounds with similar performance to both the M1 and M2 Ball rounds.

On Hand, I've got lots of Varget, Lake City brass from the surplus ammo I've already shot, and assorted primers.

I'd prefer to stick with Varget, seeing as how all of my other rifles love it. The reason I ask about both is that I have heard from several different sources that the 174 grain M1 Ball load had longer legs and greater accuracy- besides, 150 grain bullets are great for wolf hunting, but I'd love something heavier for when it comes time to harvest some larger, angrier creatures. Plus it'd be cool to crank those puppies out in a target match if they really are that much better than the M2

Re: Duplicating M1 and M2 Ball

Buy chronograph, shoot some strings and record data for said bullet weight. Read reloading manual and start load development using said components. Its that easy, it just takes time and a little bit of effort.

Rich

yeah, already do that. I'd just prefer to not reinvent the wheel if somebody's got a good load and is willing to share. besides, I don't have the luxury of load testing whenever I please like in the lower 48. 80+ degree temperature swings tend to turn an anemic winter load into something that blows up in your face, and since I've already had that happen, I'd like to prevent another incident of pulling case fragments out of my face with a pair of tweezers.

Load testing season is five months away, and since it lasts less than most people take to hit the john and happens to coincide with 60 hour workweek season... I hope you can understand my dilemma.

There are much better bullets available for the intended purpose then the 173 gr FMJBT (M1) and 150 gr FMJFB (M2) for targets and killing; and better powders for a .30-06 bolt action, as several shooters on the sight using -06 can provide. Things have improves since M1 and M2 loads were fielded.

Good luck

Jerry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jerry M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are much better bullets available for the intended purpose then the 173 gr FMJBT (M1) and 150 gr FMJFB (M2) for targets and killing; and better powders for a .30-06 bolt action, as several shooters on the sight using -06 can provide. Things have improves since M1 and M2 loads were fielded.

Good luck

Jerry </div></div>

Yeah dude, but can you fault me for likin to go old school? the sights on my A3 are already calibrated for the M2, figure I'd just go KISS principle on it instead of having to think "okay, so zero at 200 means that my bullet woll be zeroed at 125" or whatnot every time I go out to the range.

I'll be sure to check out other loads, but again, with farts that linger longer than the free time I get to do load testing in the summer, I have to manage my time wisely.

Thanks for the Load Data, Cracka.

Wow, out of context, that sounds very strange...

For M2 ball, If you want old school and are trying to load to spec then you need to go with approximately 48.0 gr of IMR4895 behind a 150 gr M2 bullet. 4895 is the gold standard in 30-06 loads. H4895 is less heat sensitive and can be substituted, but you should then go with 47 gr.

Sweet deal, this'll make the handload testing go by a lot quicker, hopefully leaving me enough time to make a run up to bag a caribou with it. Thanks for your help guys.

My garand load is 47 imr 4895 under a 168 amax. Is 3 clicks low at 1k. Works very well.

My M2 equivalent/Garand load is HDY (#3037) 150gr FMJBT W/C, 50.0gr of IMR-4064, WLR primer, in Rem Brass.

Kentucky, Supersniper, I assume you guys are using civilan brass?

46.5 gr of varget and anybodys 168 gr match bullet will be perfect in your rifle

The loads were developed using GI brass but also work well in commercial brass too.

I used the same loads in my '03.

sweet deal. My buddy just got an SA Garand, so we'll be getting a lot of usage out of these loads.

Aloreman, how's the drop on those 168s in comparison to M2?

I load 48.5 grns of Varget behind a 155 AMAX for 2770fps in my Garand and it shoots great. Aloreman is right on track with 46.5 grns behind a 168. Varget will help you with the extreme temp swings too. Good luck!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anvil Xray</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kentucky, Supersniper, I assume you guys are using civilan brass? </div></div>

HXP Brass

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kentucky Jelly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anvil Xray</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kentucky, Supersniper, I assume you guys are using civilan brass? </div></div>

HXP Brass </div></div>

I use HXP brass as well; the HXP appears to be quite nice. I only have LC brass to compare it to, which is also nice.

I've not had any issues using civilian brass in my M1 or M1A. In the M1 it seems the civilian brass and the military brass are pretty much the same weight. Not so in the M1A (civilian brass has a higher case volume than military brass).