• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Duracoat help....

22_250

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 20, 2010
Midland, TX
I am preparing to duracoat my rifle and have conflicting research from google... I need to know what metal prep has worked well. Do I have to parkerize first, or will the duracoat stick to a blasted/sanded surface as long as it is degreased? Any help from someone who has already done this process would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Re: Duracoat help....

Blast with aluminum oxide or hand sand with 600 grit sand paper.

You don't have do parkerize first, aluminum oxide blast alone is fine for Duracoat. I prefer to parkerize first for the added protection and paint adhesion.

Darin Reiss
FFL/SOT in Haysville, KS

When I finished my savage I sanded everything real good with 220 and degreased with brake cleaner. Duracoat laid on real nice, and no problems with it not sticking.

A lot of people go to all extremes to prep for this stuff, it's just like any other two part paint, mix and spray.

Just sanding is good like Northern said you can use brake cleaner to get everything off. I like to use denatured alcohol

Skip the duracoat and go with cerakote. I have tried both and would never recomend duracoat .Lesson learned.

Duracoat for multi colors.Cerakote for single colors.Parkerizing in case your rough on your finish.

Doesn't cerakote have to be baked on though?? I don't have the means to do that myself and would rather save $$ for loads and more trigger time right now.

I have applied Duracoat on several of my pistols and now my bolt rifle, and it has held up more than just fine. Can't say I know why some people are having so much problems with it, but I haven't had problems.

Only places I see it rub off, are places where close fitting metal parts are rubbing against each other.

I aluminum oxide blasted the metal parts. Stocks I just rough with scotch pad, then paint away.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shootingaces</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Doesn't cerakote have to be baked on though?? I don't have the means to do that myself and would rather save $$ for loads and more trigger time right now. </div></div> You have to use heat to cure!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1Sg (ret)</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Duracoat for multi colors.Cerakote for single colors.Parkerizing in case your rough on your finish. </div></div>
I would disagree. If you know how to do it then Cerakote is still the way to go. The vast majority of the projects that I do are multi colors and are in cerakote. I do agree that Duracoat is easier as a do it yourself, but for the best in durability cerakote for the win.

I've been pretty disappointed in the durability of duracoat. None of the air dry paints seem to be any better. The only way to get the real durable coatings are to use the bake-on types. I've used a lot of Norrell Moly Resin with great results. Friends have used KG Guncoat or CeraCoat with equally good result. The color choice is pretty much unlimited. If you can't get 3 or 4 hundred degrees most of the paints can be cured at lower temps for longer periods. Most of the manufacturers also offer advice for curing the paint on parts that contain plastics so go with the heat cure paint and you won't be unhappy.

Frank

I have done tons of rifles with Duracoat without issue. If anyone has had issues it is due to rushing and not doing it right. My rifles and handguns that are in duracoat still look new. I have my comp pistol duracoated and it has seen some hard use and only shows small amount of wear after thousands upon thousands of draws. Like I said if you do it right then it will last. I do bake mine to get the finish to cure sooner.

I've also used Duracoat on a couple of my guns, prepped with sandpaper and brake cleaner and it's held up great. Like strangedays said, as long as you don't hurry you'll be fine. Take your time, make sure you get everything sanded good, clean with brake clean and don't touch it again without some latex gloves.

I duracoated several bolt action rifles, and handguns the key is in the prep of the firearm that you are coating. You can sandblast with aluminum oxide but you don't have to. I personally use tru-strip then sand both the stock and receiver with 300 to 400 grit sandpaper then I use scotchbrite on both. On optics that I coat I tru-strip then use scotchbrite. I have never had any issues with duracoat when time is taken to properly prep the firearm. Take your time and prep it properly and you will be very satisfied.