• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Duracoat on a riflescope = problems?

Slim13

Private
Minuteman
Jun 15, 2018
I have an optic that’s at the manufacturer for service. Won’t consistently hold zero. Sent it back 2 years ago, they recommended I switch to their rings and adhere to their torque specs. Bought their rings, adhered to torque settings. Fast forward to now, and it’s back with them for the same problem. Now it’s a conversation about the duracoat again, and that I should try a lower torque spec than they recommend in their literature. I’ve never heard of duracoat causing an optics problem before and nowhere in the owners manual or warranty does it address this. I’m not naming the brand of the scope. I’m not here to bash or flame anyone. I want to learn. I’ll own my mistake if duracoating it was a shithead move. Am I missing something here?

Thanks

I've seen lots of painted scopes, I've never heard of it causing problems with holding zero. If the scope is moving in the rings, I think you'd notice it in the paint. I'm curious if others have seen paint causing issues.

Duracoat is pretty thick comparatively speaking. If it’s under the rings and or on the rings I could see how you could be pinching the scope tube in a manner or torque spec that it was not designed for. This could be affecting the turret housing / erector assembly.

Did you coat it on the rifle? If not the coating could have turned the 34mm tube (or whatever it is) into a 34.5mm tube if that makes sense

It’s just the scope that has duracoat. The rings aren’t treated. I have other scopes that are duracoated and have never had an issue. The same guy has done the work across a few scopes of mine. I’ve never had an issue with any of them. Talked to him about it and he’s never had an issue with any of his work. He did mention that you can spot a bad duracoat job if you can see any ridges or bumps which would indicate uneven application. There aren’t any ring marks on the scope. I torque 16.5lbs on the rings which is the middle of the 15-18 torque range for this manufacturer.

It’s still adding material regardless of what anyone says. 34.xxxx mm tube in 34mm ring or 30.xxxx mm tube in 30mm ring. Tolerances could be stacking on this one particular set up. Maybe you got a scope tube on the high end of spec and a set of rings on the low end of spec and now you got some duracoat in between. Perfect storm? Maybe. Tell us the brand. Oh also what brand rings?

I totally get the concept of the duracoat adding some thickness (as minute as it may be). That being said, there are tens of thousands of painted scopes out there and I’ve never heard of paint affecting the performance of a scope. Perfect storm? Maybe? I’m just throwing the scenario out there to find some first hand example.

Appreciate the responses!

I totally get the concept of the duracoat adding some thickness (as minute as it may be). That being said, there are tens of thousands of painted scopes out there and I’ve never heard of paint affecting the performance of a scope. Perfect storm? Maybe? I’m just throwing the scenario out there to find some first hand example.

Appreciate the responses!

Please list the scope brand and rings. If you are not willing to accept that this is a side effect of the obvious tolerance stacking (I’m not saying it is definitively) then the only other option is out of spec scope or out of spec rings. Please tell us the brands you are using.

Reactions: Dirty8404
I have seen a few people come though complaining their scope slid in the rings due to coating.

Got an email from the manufacturer, they’re sending me a new scope. Problem resolved but I don’t think I’m going to pimp my scopes anymore. Rosin in rigs sounds like a good idea. I’ll have to remember that one.