• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Duracoat or paint? for DIY

RanchhandTCR

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2013
Williams, AZ
Hey guys, well I cannot decide for the life of me to go with krylon or duracoat. I Painted the barrel and action of my 22-250 that I am turing into a 260 Rem to see how that paint will handle, and so far im not happy, it not chipping off but it doe not take much of a bump to take some off, I used krylon as a base coat did 3 coats and then had rustolem clear coat enamel and did 3 coats of that. But Duracoat seems like a better altenative but from the people that that have done it and had great success by painting or duracoating I want to hear from you thanks again

I just cleaned it it brake cleaner and left the old factory finish on, since what I could gather it was better to do so, but when I have it built its going to be sandblasted and then I will use 400 grit emery cloth to rough it up.

I just cleaned it it brake cleaner and left the old factory finish on, since what I could gather it was better to do so, but when I have it built its going to be sandblasted and then I will use 400 grit emery cloth to rough it up.

The sand blasting itself should be plenty. I don't see any need for emery cloth after blasting. Duracoat will hold up much better than Krylon.

I duracoated my Barrett, my DPMS 6.5, and my match gun. I have been very happy with the finish and I have beat them up in matches, hunting and just banging them around on the way out to the desert to go shooting.

NevadaMuleDeerhuntXIV.jpg

NevadaMuleDeerHuntVIII.jpg

NevadaMuleDeerHuntVII.jpg

DSCF4340.jpg

DSCF4300.jpg

Nighttimeistherighttime.jpg

DSCN0534.jpg

barrettfirstkillII.jpg

Good luck with the rifle, I wouldn't overlook Cerakote either, I have never personally used it, but some of my shooting partners use it and it works well and is very durable as well. McRee uses it to finish his chassis as well.

Thanks for the responses guys, Im plan on going with duracoat since I can apply it my self. Thanks guys I was kinda baffled at how some of these guys paint with krylon and say it sticks like duracoat. I sure didnt get that result but I do let the rifles ride in the tractor. Thanks again!

You can buy the rechargeable air canister sprayers at Depot and Lowes that will work with both Ceracote and Duracote.

Both will last longer than rattle can and neither will melt with common gun cleaning solvents.

To have anything last- it comes down to prep and application.

You can find DIY videos on YouTube for Brownells finishes, duracote and Ceracote.

As I understand it. you want to sand blast with clean/ new aluminum oxide media.

Shot and glass bead leaves the surface too smooth to grip the coatings.

You can find videos on the how to online

Just had this discussion today and decided on dura coat. Ranchhand, I believe the rifle is supposed to be in the tractor. Best moving blind on the planet when it comes to coyotes.

Just get it done right the first time and send it to Dimensions by Holmes. He can do it in Cerakote, Duracoat, or Todd Jackson's premium blend. No matter what you choose paint-wise, Jeromy will up the value of your rifle immensely. I know that you are looking to DIY, but why? There are those that do professionally because they are capable and then some.

I have an alternative. My brew can be mixed to allow removal or to be permanent. Prep is the key to make any paint job turn out. Sandblasting is the best way to prep barrels and actions. I'm almost out of sample kits but if you're interested, send me a pm with your info and I'll get some samples to you.

I have an alternative. My brew can be mixed to allow removal or to be permanent. Prep is the key to make any paint job turn out. Sandblasting is the best way to prep barrels and actions. I'm almost out of sample kits but if you're interested, send me a pm with your info and I'll get some samples to you.

Sent you a pm about a job but its not showing in my sent box. Pm me about it if you didn't get it.

Just get it done right the first time and send it to Dimensions by Holmes. He can do it in Cerakote, Duracoat, or Todd Jackson's premium blend. No matter what you choose paint-wise, Jeromy will up the value of your rifle immensely. I know that you are looking to DIY, but why? There are those that do professionally because they are capable and then some.

I know there are plenty of people that can paint guns and do more than a superb job. But I know I am cabable of also performing the task too. I would be glad to ship a rifle off if I could get it back withing a couple of weeks.

+1 for prep

Duracoat takes a really llllloooonnnnnggggg time to fully cure. 3 weeks or some crap like that. I could never wait it out and all mine ended up with small chips.
It's pretty damn tough after that.
Get some clear matte if you don't want it to look like plastic.
I think if I remember right, you can speed up the cure in an oven.

If you can put it in an oven.........
I suggest Cerakote if you're already taking the trouble to sandblast it. The prep is the trickiest part to it, and you already plan to have that done.
I also suggest a cheapo HVLP paint gun over the preval for whatever route you choose.

Everything gets scratched up riding in a tractor.....................re-painting stuff can be fun too.

I know things are gonna get scratched and bang around but I just want it to be tougher than the krylon. I can keep it out of the tractor for a couple of weeks, and just use the ought six on the coyotes.

Well guys I got the paint from USGUNWORKS a while back, got the rifle back from the smith two weeks ago, and got all the supplies I needed to paint so I went at it today and here are the results.