• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Duracoating problems.....

keith jones

Minuteman
Sep 14, 2010
Bulls Gap,TN
I have painted stock in has a few runs and waves in it. How do I go about removing the runs and waves? Can I just sand down and repaint? Thanks

Re: Duracoating problems.....

Yes, let it dry or else it will just gum up if it is too green. At this point you can also cut the high runs off with a new razor blade (those real thin kind).
Most of all let it dry then sand it all down (you don't have to sand it all the way back down) and re shoot it, this time don't try to cover it all in one pass. LOL.
SScott

like Scott said. Just have to scuff it up enough to give it a rough texture for next coat to stick to.

Leave the waves and tell everyone it is custom texturing.
smile.gif

Thin coats added every few minutes will stop the runs,also keep the spray gun at least 8 inchs away form the stock when spraying and take your time and be patient most of all.

Adjust your sprayer until it sprays a nice even coat or speed up/slow down your movement to fit how it's spraying now. It can be hard to tell, until it's too late, how much you're laying down at one time so like stated above lighter coats will assist. Spray and watch until the wet look dissappears then it's flashed and ready to spray another coat.

Also, don't flick your wrist. If you do easy passes in a swaying motion with your wrist locked rather than pivoting your wrist will reduce drips and uneven spots. It helps me but everyone has their technique.