• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

duracote vs. cerakote vs. hydrodip

jsmythe

Private
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2011
Nashville, TN, USA
i am looking into putting a paint job on my rifle. I wanted to find out if anyone has any first hand experiance between these 3 different ways of painting a stock. Which is more durable, any problems with them, etc?

Re: duracote vs. cerakote vs. hydrodip

Hydro dip will be the least durable of the 3. I personally prefer Cerakote over Duracoat.

+1. Hydro dip isnt going to be that tough. Its a toss up between Cerakote and Duracoat and prob comes down to personal preference.

I have done many projects using all 3.
A proper Hydro Dip can hold up decently IF you use a good tough clear coat on top like DuraClear or Cerakote clear. Just make sure you allow the proper 3 week cure time before banging it around.
However I prefer Duracoat on my personal rifles.

Since you are in TN, you may want to check out Predator Custom out of Knoxville. They have done a ton of work on all of my guns:

M40A13.jpg

M6A23.jpg

The ceramic coating is very durabe which is fortunate since I tend to run the assualt rifles pretty hard and after serving in Guam, the center of everywhere that is humid, I can attest to protection from the environment too.

I've personally applied duracoat & cerakote, and had a multicam hydrodip from Dakota industries(they do great work). Hydro is the least durable. Cerakote is the most durable by far: and I'm working with the air cure stuff: the oven cure is a little tougher yet.

8fd48ec3.jpg

my comp gun is paint. if it gets messed-up...oh well. the other two i had dipped...just for fun. my hunting rig seems to be holding up fine. my daughter's gun has a couple of chips in it due to it being a hogue rubber stock. i haven't had the chance to see how they hold up. time will tell. if they don't no big deal. $75 a piece. He glossy clear-coated mine and my daughter's gun, but he also has semi and matte finishes. The person that did mine also has a rubber type of finish.

again, time will tell.

Hey,

I have a custom finish shop in AZ, have been spraying Duracoat and Cerakote for several years.

Duracoat gets a bad rap due to impatience mostly. It does not cure as fast as the MFG states, BUT it does hold up when prepped and applied correctly!

Cerakote is a great product too, different properties and cures with heat so it is ready right out of the oven and cool down as they state.

I offer both to my customers and the biggest difference between the 2 is patterns (IMO). Duracoat lays different and will adhere to itself between pattern layers. Cerakote will not adhere to itself which creates an inherent problem for laying patterns.

Cerakote can be partially cured then patterns laid, but if you get it wrong then it will not adhere correctly and sometimes patterns have "worn off or through"

again,

both are great products, and both require the right prep, if you want to spray down with gun scrubber then lay some color, you wont be happy with either, but if you prep down to the white (metal) and then lay color and allow correct cure both will last years!

my website is
www.desertfirearms.com

My contact info is on there if you want to discuss your project I would be happy to help you and give you some tips and hints so you are happy with whatever you decide to do!

Derek
D.V.C

What I've done in the past is, if it's metal (barrel/action) I'd Cerikote it with their H-Sereis (shits tough as nails). If it's plastic I'd duracoat it.Best of both worlds.

I've never tried dipping myself but I've used (don't laugh plz) paintball guns with dipped finishes and they've all worn off something fierce. I wouldn't trust it as a viably tough camo.

If done properly hydro dipping is extremely tough if done correctly and with the right products. The problem is to many companies are out there using inferior clear coats. On guns I use the exact same clear that remington uses and I have yet to have one come back (warrantied for life).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CaptRob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If done properly hydro dipping is extremely tough if done correctly and with the right products. The problem is to many companies are out there using inferior clear coats. On guns I use the exact same clear that remington uses and I have yet to have one come back (warrantied for life).</div></div>

Captrob, where you at in ms? Might need something done

For ultimate durability I'd say cerakote if you don't need a special pattern.

The real beauty of the film dip is that you can get patterns you just can't do in paint easily.

I do hydrodipping and its durable, just not as durable as cerakote.