• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing E. Cohen, Dakota Scimitar 260 Medium Tac Build

Re: E. Cohen, Dakota Scimitar 260 Medium Tac Build

Outstanding stuff!

Gives guys a thirst for CNC mills
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Papagrizzly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Outstanding stuff!

Gives guys a thirst for CNC mills
smile.gif
</div></div>

Sell some chit!
smile.gif

Thanks!

Finished up the floor metal. Here's the inlet work on the stock and piece as its being fitted. Still a little ways to go yet in the back to get everything caught up.

DSC_0064.jpg

DSC_0070.jpg

DSC_0069.jpg

DSC_0068.jpg

Interesting project Chad...fun to watch. Kinda been thinking about a 260 build anyway.

Man, seriously crazed. I'm loving it.

Exactly what I was hoping for.

Thanks Chad

all i can say is... dude! i seriously want one

That deal is just Badass all the way around.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hennig</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Love these unique builds, good stuff ^^ </div></div>

Me too; one of my reasons for going with Chad. I wanted a true custom piece, and one that was as much art as a precision tool. Very different than just bolting in parts.

I've greatly enjoyed being part of the process and am really looking forward to getting it home.

All in all a neat experience

Back to our little pet project.

November was made of bitch. Just sucked as I all did all month was fix shit and hemorrhage money.

December is proving much more lucrative. A good thing.

BACK TO WORK!

So, the 7mm-300WM we did recently proved a nice platform for testing out the cheek hardware. So nice that I've decided to make another for this gun. I've changed a couple little things, but essentially its the same.

Here's the 1st op:

DSC_0005-2.jpg

DSC_0004-2.jpg

DSC_0003-3.jpg

Just finished it, bout to buzz it off with a miter saw.

Woo hoo!

I bet you take it for granted at this point, but it must be really cool just to know how to whip stuff like that up. Nice work!

Never take it for granted, just thankful the ability to do this kind of stuff.

Thanks for the kind words.

Onto the buttplate assy. Using one of my mentors for inspiration (The world renowned ALEX SITMAN (supah badass guy)) I'm looking at his 3axis buttplate assy and dissecting it, trimming off the "fat" so that it's more appropriate for a tactical gun.

Here's the 1st step: Sorting out the profile of the Manner's T5 A stock. Using a tracing made directly from the stock I photograph it and import the photo into the puter. From here its a matter of cleaning up the lines/arcs and scaling the image to the proper size.

DSC_0002-4.jpg

Now onto making the wigit work. . .

More to come.

Chad any chance the African 7 mm rem mag on the other tread was mine? ??
Thanks joe pm inbound

I just took a look at the three way but plate: all I can say is WOW. Chad, you're amazing. Thanks for building your version for my rifle.

Doc

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: virulentus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chad any chance the African 7 mm rem mag on the other tread was mine? ??
Thanks joe pm inbound </div></div>

Joe,

That's a dakota arms model 76 action in 416 rigby from last year. Were getting closer boss. I'm just playing a little catch up right now. Not too much longer bud.

C.

He'll yea call ya tomorrow I got bitten by the 338 lapua bug!

Here's the baseplate all finished up:

Again, having a "long leash" helps with projects like this as it allows/encourages the creativity to come out. The plan here is to emulate the one that Alex Sitman makes, but to put a twist on it so that were more aligned with the "tactical" theme.

Sooo, instead of making an additional piece that attaches to the outside of the base plate (containing the clamp mechanism for the pin) were going to put it inside the stock for a simpler/cleaner appearance and shed some weight off the bugger.

Here's the base plate. I had some fun with it by overlaying our proprietary "holographic" camo pattern onto the part and engraving it into the material. Subtle, but kinda neat.

My "fixture" was a scrap/setup piece of AL used earlier this year to proof out an engraving program I used while making award plaques for the ordnance crews at Ellsworth, AFB.

Machined blank fully profiled and qualified:
DSC_00034.jpg

DSC_00044.jpg

Camo pattern from a random stencil:
DSC_00062-1.jpg

Engraving:
DSC_00054.jpg

Final piece:

Looks "fuzzy" from me brushing it with scotchbrite afterward. Once its blasted/coated it'll clean up nice.

DSC_0008-2.jpg

DSC_0009-2.jpg

DSC_00072.jpg

More progress.

Clamps are done as is the vertical adjustment base for the recoil pad. One piece left to make.

Woo Hoo, all that's left is inletting the stock for this chit, some sanding/fluff/buff, and were ready to squirt paint!

DSC_00055.jpg

DSC_00092.jpg

DSC_0011-2.jpg

DSC_0012-2.jpg

Chad,
I like the slimmed down look of that butt plate. Always liked the Sitman/Masterclass unit over the Tubb plate but felt both were too bulky for what they are asked to do. Yours looks like a very nice compromise.

The engraved camo pattern is pretty bad ass. I haven't seen that before. Keep those pics coming, this build is definitely "outside the box". Well done Chad.

t

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: John L</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chad,
I like the slimmed down look of that butt plate. Always liked the Sitman/Masterclass unit over the Tubb plate but felt both were too bulky for what they are asked to do. Yours looks like a very nice compromise. </div></div>

John,

Alex and I talked it over yesterday in fact. I do like his stuff much more than other versions and for a target rifle it is a very appropriate piece I think.

Tactical stuff however kinda demands a more simplistic and compact approach. Least I think it does. Its for these reasons I decided to tackle this. So far its come out well. The base plate is now fitted to the stock. Just waiting on the brass pillars to setup. (bedded/glued in)

I'm onto fitting the cheek hardware now. I whipped up a neat looking boss for the buttplate LOP adjustment/pinch screws. I'm chomping at the bit for this epoxy to harden so that I can fit it up and get a "real" picture of how this thing is going to end up. So far I'm diggin it.

I was able to shave off a solid 7oz over the MC piece. I could swiss cheese it a bit more and get some more weight out of it, but I think I'm going to leave it. At some point it gets a bit silly. -That and the costs can get carried away as well. It is just a buttplate. .

Later!

C.

A few updates to wrap up the day.

The morning started with getting the backing plate mounted up along with the internal hardware. The horizontal mill I acquired this summer makes this a snap. No complicated fixtures anymore.

DSC_00016.jpg

DSC_00026.jpg

Got the ferrules installed and let the stock sit for a few hours to allow the epoxy to cure before the trial assembly.

This allowed me some time to make a few other wigits for this gun. I like the look of beveled bushings where accy parts get snugged, clamped, adjusted, whatever. So, I devoted some time to whipping up a handful for the various pieces.

First was for the buttplate LOP adjustment.

DSC_00093.jpg

Next, the cheek hardware:

DSC_00102.jpg

Finally, I bushed the bottom holes where the cheek pins run. I decided to poke these all the way through because it allows one to position the side/side of the cheek hardware without removing it from the stock. This way you can lock it down and know it didn't move. Might be kinda silly, but since were turning this thing into a hardware store, what the hell. . .

DSC_00065.jpg

I also finalized the pin base clamping arrangement. I silver soldered in the screws so that they never back out/vibrate loose.

DSC_00112.jpg

DSC_00102.jpg

Were getting very, very close to being able to put this bugger together to check all the particulars.

Left to do:

Make/install the brake
attach the recoil pad to the buttplate assy
drill/tap the buttplate vertical set screw adjustment
fit guard screws
inlet the cheek piece (this particular piece was already inletted so I filled it up today so that I can machine it to fit our unit)
Make the scope base
trial assembly
Test fire
Tear down, fluff/buff
Paint/finishing.

Could possibly have it in primer tomorrow afternoon. I plan to work as next week is a full plate.

Eric, it's coming along well and I hope you like what you see. As always, if something doesn't sit right, just give me a call.

A good day, got lots of chit done.

C.

Wow; when you get rolling you really get rolling! Looks great. Exactly what I was hoping for in a truly custom rig.

Can't tell you how much I appreciate this.

Eric

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the dog </div></div>

Hesco?

Hesco, yes.

Here's the bugger semi put together. Finished up the scope base today along with the QD mount for the Atlas bi pod.

PICS:

DSC_00038.jpg

DSC_00027.jpg

DSC_00048.jpg

DSC_00057-1.jpg

DSC_00152.jpg

DSC_00142.jpg

DSC_00113.jpg

Starting to look insane. Just what a "custom" from you should look like. Certainly gonna be the bell of my ball.

Kinda neat when a crazed builder and a crazed customer get together.

Doc

OMFG....

I can't wait to see this thing finished. At what point do you start considering this stuff artwork?

Thanks again for sharing this with all of us. Still trying to wrap my head around the Scimitar design.

Damn, that looks beautiful.

I also like the GMT400 parked in the background. I still miss my '96 GMC K2500.

Wow.

Fitting the recoil pad this am.

Couple things to do yet:

Attach/grind the recoil pad
Thread/chamber the 2nd barrel (Ordered Monday, should be here by Friday)
One last trial assembly
Engrave both barrels
Paint.

Will have it in primer/base color by COB today. Pics to follow.

Is that a 2-door sport in the shop? I like your style Chad!

She's in primer.

Shot it this am and let it flash out. Filled in the boogers, sanded again, and primed for good in preparation for the base coat.

It's drying now. In a few minutes I'll scotchbrite it and we'll have some Desert sand on this bugger.

DSC_00049.jpg

DSC_00076.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

DSC_00076.jpg

</div></div>

For a second there I thought this was going to be some kind of Christmas pattern. Candycane cammo.
laugh.gif

Nah; no candy cane. The local carnivores wouldn't know what to do with that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kalli's a moped kinda girl.
smile.gif

I bought here a 1981 Honda Express this summer and if its nice out you can't get her off the damn thing.

This winter we'll be tearing it down and restoring it. If she lets me I'm going to build a water cooled big bore cylinder for it, bump the compression a bit, find a tuned pipe I can "Frankenpipe" onto it, and maybe put a 5-10hp shot of silly gas to boot. I've got a 19mm Delordo carb for it already.

What a fun way to end up in the ER right??

Back to programming. . .

</div></div>
Please,Don't forget the wheelie bars....LOL