• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

E-mail got hacked!

Strangedays

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Feb 27, 2009
    Tacoma Washington
    I have hotmail and well today someone hacked it and now I have some stupid person out there sending e-mails to everyone I know asking for help and that I am in the United Kingdom and need money to get out of some law issues. Biggest problem is that I have such a large amount of stuff on there and now have to go through the entire process of trying to get it back.
    Has anyone else had this happen?

Re: E-mail got hacked!

Are you still able to get into the account?

Y - Change the password
    N - Contact Hotmail and try to convince them to let you back into it.

Chances are pretty good that it didn't get hacked so much as your password was stolen.
    If that is the case, then you may have exposed other passwords that you have used for credit cards, secure sites, banking, PayPal, Ebay, etc.

Check the computer for malicious programs immediately.

www.malwarebytes.org
    http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

I am not able to get into the account so I did contact hotmail and we will see if they let me back in. I have gone through and changed the passwords that were the same on other sites.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am not able to get into the account so I did contact hotmail and we will see if they let me back in. I have gone through and changed the passwords that were the same on other sites. </div></div>

If your computer is running a Trojan or rootkit, that's not enough.
    Run the software linked in my first post to determine if there's anything malicious on your computer.
    if you're running an info stealing Trojan, they got the changes as soon as you made them.

just curious but how did you find out ,someone just sent me a pic i opened it but before i did my computer detected no virus and it was a bogus pic, i was expecting it to be a different pic of something i was wanting to buy from a hide member

The same thing happened to my me late last year. Someone in the UK hacked into my email and was sending thousand's of emails to people about low interest loans and each email they sent I also received a copy. Soon as I changed my pass word they quit and my computer scaned clean. I did go and change all of my other pass words to be safe.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am not able to get into the account so I did contact hotmail and we will see if they let me back in. I have gone through and changed the passwords that were the same on other sites. </div></div>

If your computer is running a Trojan or rootkit, that's not enough.
    Run the software linked in my first post to determine if there's anything malicious on your computer.
    if you're running an info stealing Trojan, they got the changes as soon as you made them. </div></div>
    I already run those programs weekly and it has scanned clean of any malicious software.
    I scanned again and it also showed nothing. I hope hotmail will let me back into my account but I won't hear anything from them until monday at the soonest.

Rootkit infections will typically show up in Malwarebytes scans. Either that or they won't allow you to run the scans.

He would have needed Combofix to get rid of it, however.
    But since MB scan was clean, that was not likely the issue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adam B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">did the log file say it found anything? </div></div>
    Nope it showed clean.

Be aware that since you have run Combofix, none of your drives will autoplay now.

Not sure if you know what that means, but basically when you insert a CD or a flash memory drive, Windows will not automatically run the the disk based on information in the autorun.inf file on the disk. It won't pop up the window asking you how to handle the inserted media.

You'll have to browse to "My Computer" and locate the drive, then go from there.

This is why I didn't suggest Combofix as an initial scan.
    Had Malwarebytes or MSE found rootkit behavior, then you would have had no choice but to use it.

You can re-enable autoruns by following these instructions.

1. Manually.

* Click Start -> Run.
    * In the type box enter regedit and press Enter.
    * In the left panel, navigate to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER
    Software
    Microsoft
    Windows
    CurrentVersion
    Policies
    Explorer.

* In the right-panel right click the value NoDriveTypeAutoRun and select Modify from the drop down menu. The base value will be set to Hexadecimal. If not, select Hexadecimal.
    * To set default value (enable autorun).

Type 91 and click OK.

* To stop Autorun on removable/USB drives, but still allow it on CD ROM drives.

Type 95 and click OK.

* To disable autorun on all drives include harddrive.

Type FF and click OK.

* Close regedit.
    * Reboot your computer.

2. Automatically.

* Click Start -> Run.
    * Type notepad and press Enter.
    * To set default value (enable autorun). Copy all the text below into Notepad.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer]
    "NoDriveTypeAutoRun"=dword:00000091

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
    "NoDriveTypeAutoRun"=dword:00000091
    * To stop Autorun on removable/USB drives, but still allow it on CD ROM drives. Copy all the text below into Notepad.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer]
    "NoDriveTypeAutoRun"=dword:00000095

"NoDriveTypeAutoRun"=dword:00000095
    * To disable autorun on all drives include harddrive. Copy all the text below into Notepad.

"NoDriveTypeAutoRun"=dword:000000ff

"NoDriveTypeAutoRun"=dword:000000ff
    * Save this as autorun.reg to your Desktop (remember to select Save as file type: All files in Notepad.)
    * Double Click autorun.reg , click YES for confirm.
    * Reboot your computer.

Thanks Tucker I already got them back working again. I used to build computers now I just write on them. Worst thing about my e-mail is there are some important e-mails from my publisher that were confidential. Nothing I can do now but wait to see what hotmail does. Thanks everyone for the help!

Strangedays