e-series cerakote on bolt made it "gummy"

DudeBro

Private
Minuteman
Mar 17, 2019
A couple years ago, I had my T3X action cerakoted in e-series. Since then, I've put 600+ rounds through it and the bolt manipulation now seems pretty "gummy." I can't say for sure if it's been that way all along. I have another bone stock T3X with < 10 rounds through it and that one runs buttery smooth (actually better than my Lone Peak Razor Ti but not quite as good as my new Kelbly).

Any suggestions on how to improve the bolt manipulation?

Threadcutter308

Mr. Sugar Tits to you
Minuteman
Supporter+
Feb 13, 2017
An Island in warshington
How does one get the cerakote off?
It will most likely have to be abrasive blasted. Could be bead blasted, which is less aggressive.

You might also want to consider having the bolt treated with something like NP-3, if you can find someone to do it. Robar used to do it, but as I understand, they are no longer in business. NP-3 was/is an electroless nickel with teflon additive and is quite nice.

DLC or Black Nitride are other coating options. I can't make any specific recommendations, but find a good, competent "coater" that specializes in firearms finishes.

st1650

Private
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2009
I would try bead blasting as well.

Could have been worse. I think we’ve all heard a story of someone cerakoting an action before going on a hunting trip only to realize it binded the trigger.

Supersubes

Heathen
Supporter
Minuteman
Supporter+
  • Sep 6, 2006
    Eastern Sierra
    I think you're screwed, as noted above, just dont do it in the future. Clean the shit out if it, Lube it up and use it, it will free up. The problem with blasting is it may leave a shitty surface finish.

Elite_KG

Sergeant
    Minuteman
    Oct 15, 2011
    LA
    To remove the Cerakote it must be media blasted. It will need to be recoated or polished out afterwards. Ive coated many bolts without issue. Tolerance stacking can be problematic, but gumming up over time is generally not an issue. Maybe an E-series thing (I dont like E-series).

When tolerances are tight or even moderateto heavy use will wear through most any coating depending on what it is.